Question: What if I took a back plate... and lined it with thermal pads....

Hi guys,

... Ok, so [Title], would it noticeably affect performance? Has anyone tried sandwiching something more conductive between a back plate and the GPU? If so, does it make a noticeable difference?

I'd imagine it would, unless the backplates are good enough on their own, such that it wouldn't be a noticeable difference.

Thoughts on this idea? Are there better alternatives? Is it cost effective? Etc etc?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If my understanding of what you're doing is correct, it should assuming it gives better contact but it may reduce effectiveness on areas that already make good contact (memory?) 

Test that out for us and report your findings

I65K6By.jpg?2

godspede 

Error: 410

Hi guys,

... Ok, so [Title], would it noticeably affect performance? Has anyone tried sandwiching something more conductive between a back plate and the GPU? If so, does it make a noticeable difference?

I'd imagine it would, unless the backplates are good enough on their own, such that it wouldn't be a noticeable difference.

Thoughts on this idea? Are there better alternatives? Is it cost effective? Etc etc?

On the VRAM on the back of the PCB, like the Titan's? I dont know if it would improve performance or temperatures, but I think it would since some water block manufacturers sell back plates that come with thermal pads.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

If my understanding of what you're doing is correct, it should assuming it gives better contact but it may reduce effectiveness on areas that already make good contact (memory?) 

Test that out for us and report your findings

I65K6By.jpg?2

godspede 

I own a black T-shirt with this on it. I love it so much. :D 

Most backplates do mount with some thermal pads.

Figured.

On the VRAM on the back of the PCB, like the Titan's? I dont know if it would improve performance or temperatures, but I think it would since some water block manufacturers sell back plates that come with thermal pads.

Yeah.

I was thinking, like, 100% covered in thermal padding. So, even the PCB around the chips that get hot would transfer heat to the Back-plate possibly helping cooling (assuming your case has good airflow, but who's wouldn't?) 

Diminishing returns of course, but I can't help it and think this might be noticeable. If only noticeable by 2-3C. 

For SCIENCE!

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.