Which would you recommend?

So we decided to purchase a camera during this holiday season and the budget would be below $1000. 2 years ago when I was looking to get a camera my friend, a professional photographer suggested me to go for a point and shoot rather than a DSLR as they have better aperture compared to the basic DSLRs. My usage would be for vacation, nature, family event and random casual use. 

Give me your expert opinions and the latest models to consider.  

4 hours ago, Chennaiyen said:

So we decided to purchase a camera during this holiday season and the budget would be below $1000. 2 years ago when I was looking to get a camera my friend, a professional photographer suggested me to go for a point and shoot rather than a DSLR as they have better aperture compared to the basic DSLRs. My usage would be for vacation, nature, family event and random casual use. 

Give me your expert opinions and the latest models to consider.  

Depends on what you want to do.  While point and shoots may have better aperture technically speaking, if you account for their relatively smaller sensor size the aperture is usually worse than DSLRs.  Do you want a camera you can carry in your pocket or one you have to carry around your shoulder?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

8 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Depends on what you want to do.  While point and shoots may have better aperture technically speaking, if you account for their relatively smaller sensor size the aperture is usually worse than DSLRs.  Do you want a camera you can carry in your pocket or one you have to carry around your shoulder?

Hi @AkiraDaarkst, I have mentioned want my usage will be. I dont mind carrying on my shoulder. Just looking the best money can get around $1000. 

One of my friend suggested I give a try with Sony A 6000 (Body only) along with Zeiss 1670 lens. Though its little over budget I am considering it. 

19 minutes ago, Chennaiyen said:

One of my friend suggested I give a try with Sony A 6000 (Body only) along with Zeiss 1670 lens. Though its little over budget I am considering it. 

A6000 with a kit lens?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

8 minutes ago, Chennaiyen said:

I meant for your self to stay under budget.

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I meant for your self to stay under budget.

If I would stick with a kit lens I would go for A6300. A6000 with the Zeiss lens. I will have to find some good deals :)

There is no reason you wouldn't be fine with an entry level dslr and a kit lens. Just buy a nikon d5600 or Canon 800d (Idk t7i in the US?), whichever you like better and call it a day. You will probably have enough left over for a fast prime as well, the 50mm 1.8 STM on Canon or the 35mm 1.8 on Nikon, both great lenses and will serve you well for portraiture or low light situations. 

If you really want to go all in, one of the 2 bodies I mentioned above coupled with a Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 OSS will be amazing for you and will serve you well for years to come. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

8 minutes ago, cc143 said:

There is no reason you wouldn't be fine with an entry level dslr and a kit lens. Just buy a nikon d5600 or Canon 800d (Idk t7i in the US?), whichever you like better and call it a day. You will probably have enough left over for a fast prime as well, the 50mm 1.8 STM on Canon or the 35mm 1.8 on Nikon, both great lenses and will serve you well for portraiture or low light situations. 

If you really want to go all in, one of the 2 bodies I mentioned above coupled with a Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 OSS will be amazing for you and will serve you well for years to come. 

@cc143, do think it will outclass this combination, Sony A6300/A6000 with Zeiss 16-70mm lens? 

15 minutes ago, Chennaiyen said:

@cc143, do think it will outclass this combination, Sony A6300/A6000 with Zeiss 16-70mm lens? 

Why?

Each has its advantages, but for a travel all round camera, basic dslrs have features (those 2 more than the a6000 thats for sure), like a touchscreen, phase detect AF, pretty decent too, better ergonomics and on top of that, lenses don't cost an arm and a leg and are even widely available used, their batteries last more than 2 hours, they are much faster to start up, and you can have it on without burning battery and ready to go, they are more robust and reliable... 

The sonys have the advantages of being smaller, but if that is truly what you need, a fuji xe3 with the 18-55mm f/2.8-4 would be a much better option imo. but tbh, the size difference isn't even that big and if you account for the reduced battery life and worst ergonomics there is no point going with a csc. You are not adapting lenses either, so I don't see why a csc is better for you than a normal entry level dslr. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

4 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Why?

Each has its advantages, but for a travel all round camera, basic dslrs have features (those 2 more than the a6000 thats for sure), like a touchscreen, phase detect AF, pretty decent too, better ergonomics and on top of that, lenses don't cost an arm and a leg and are even widely available used, their batteries last more than 2 hours, they are much faster to start up, and you can have it on without burning battery and ready to go, they are more robust and reliable... 

The sonys have the advantages of being smaller, but if that is truly what you need, a fuji xe3 with the 18-55mm f/2.8-4 would be a much better option imo. but tbh, the size difference isn't even that big and if you account for the reduced battery life and worst ergonomics there is no point going with a csc. You are not adapting lenses either, so I don't see why a csc is better for you than a normal entry level dslr. 

In that case what lens would you suggest for the Canon DSLR which is close to or better than the Zeiss 1670Z lens?

Just now, Chennaiyen said:

In that case what lens would you suggest for the Canon DSLR which is close to or better than the Zeiss 1670Z lens?

Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 

The first is very good, but quite expensive (still not as expensive as the zeiss though), especially new, the other two can be picked up fairly cheap new and at under $200 used. 

As I said, if you want, you can also get something like the 50mm f/1.8 STM, exquisite lens, at $100 new, great for portraiture and low light, although kind of tight for my taste on a crop sensor. 

21 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 

The first is very good, but quite expensive (still not as expensive as the zeiss though), especially new, the other two can be picked up fairly cheap new and at under $200 used. 

As I said, if you want, you can also get something like the 50mm f/1.8 STM, exquisite lens, at $100 new, great for portraiture and low light, although kind of tight for my taste on a crop sensor. 

Thank you! I will have that in mind. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Sony a6300 with 2 stock lens which came with Sony bag and a 32gig memory card. Probably will update the lens sometime in the future.