770gtx... too upgrade or to wait...

Ev3rM0r3

I've been building out a new pc build on newegg, about to hit the order button, everything shy of the video card.  My existing pc has a 770 GTX that performs about as well as expected.  15-25 fps in star citizen, 60 fps in wow with about 3/4 graphics settings, runs most steam games fine aside from all the new ones and somehow handled crysis 3  back in the day.  

My question I amm running into is I'm coming from a 8370 fx to a ryzen 1800, considering all my monitors are only 1080p, aside from my 4k tv which i can still use for at least 1 screen of 30hz moving watching at 4k, should i just wait on getting a 1070ti or 1080ti because the current prices are still so high?  Or should I opt for the 1070ti, knowing it can run VR but not 4k as good as I may like to in the future, or just flat save or the 1080ti at near a 750 bucks base cost.  I just can't see paying the cost of what all other pieces are going to cost me for just the damn video card.  I'm really running into a wall with this as I have other RL obligations for that 750 bucks, like rent.

the 770 will be a serious bottleneck for your pc build.  However as you pointed out, prices and availability for gfx cards are ridiculous right now.  Personally, I'd build your system and grit your teeth until you can afford the gpu that you want. Paying rent and setting aside some cash per month could get you a card once prices come down or a new generation of cards come out and keep your rent paid.  If you were serious about gaming on 4k, a 1080ti is the only way to go right now, but if you were using your 1080p screen a 1060 or 580 would be a fine way to spend money until you can upgrade to a proper 4k monitor and gfx card.

23 minutes ago, Ev3rM0r3 said:

I've been building out a new pc build on newegg, about to hit the order button, everything shy of the video card.  My existing pc has a 770 GTX that performs about as well as expected.  15-25 fps in star citizen, 60 fps in wow with about 3/4 graphics settings, runs most steam games fine aside from all the new ones and somehow handled crysis 3  back in the day.  

My question I amm running into is I'm coming from a 8370 fx to a ryzen 1800, considering all my monitors are only 1080p, aside from my 4k tv which i can still use for at least 1 screen of 30hz moving watching at 4k, should i just wait on getting a 1070ti or 1080ti because the current prices are still so high?  Or should I opt for the 1070ti, knowing it can run VR but not 4k as good as I may like to in the future, or just flat save or the 1080ti at near a 750 bucks base cost.  I just can't see paying the cost of what all other pieces are going to cost me for just the damn video card.  I'm really running into a wall with this as I have other RL obligations for that 750 bucks, like rent.

Get the 1070ti if you want to save some cash. It performs much like the 1080 and can be overclocked. On the other hand, if you have more money or can wait to save up you should get the 1080ti. 

35 minutes ago, Ev3rM0r3 said:

No need to upgrade the GPU that much, I mean...

You can just wait for next GEN Volta to upgrade your GPU if you're fine with the actual performance of your gtx 770...

Just don't expect to have better gaming performance, I mean the CPU will help a bit, but the gpu do the most job for games...

There is nothing wrong by keepin the 770 for a while if you happy with it and change it for next Gen Volta. This is what I would do if I was you :P 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

You 770 is under performing, DDU in safe mode and reinstall its drivers fresh new, get MSi Afterburner and Heaven Benchmark to make sure card's going 100% usage and if you want overclock it for more juice, but either ways something probably driver related is messing it up.

Your FX8370 is a greater issue than the GPU as amazing as it sounds as well... Getting a dirty cheap Ryzen 7 1700x on black friday might be great idea, no point on the 1800x though.

Also obviously a GTX 1070 Ti can run any game you could possible want at 4k60fps, all you have to do is tweak the graphical in-game settings, don't let yourself see forced to get the 1080 Ti, watch the following video:

Spoiler

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Well it's not all about gaming though.  I also run vm's, and dabble in rendering and such that utilizes that cpu speed and demand.  I know it won't matter largely for gaming but I tend to build a system to last me till the next go around.  I usually get 4-5 years out of my pc's before I upgrade.  And with making it by with a phenom 955 till this 8370 I've had been passively upgrading as parts become super cheap. If i go all in, and technology doesn't jump quicker then it has lately, I hope to be fine for awhile.   And if you've ever used editors such as Hammer for game like CSGO or Maya/Max/C4d, a CPU that has as much power and cores as feasible is greatly utilizable to its maximum potential.  

I have however been NOT fine with my 770gtx, and it does not like stero vision gameplay at all.  It cannot handle a triple monitor single screen setup and I actually enjoy that aspect when playing games such as Eve Online or WoW or Star Citizen or anything that can utilize such an expansive field of view.  I have no intentions of buying new monitors though.  Realistically at 1080p I can't really honestly say that it looks better at 4k that on screens that small.  Maybe sharper and a bit smoother, but its not as if the color depth becomes god like so frame rate, and ability to push max graphics is a must. I however have a very clear 4k tv I would like to try the 60hz gaming experience on for couch gaming.

Aside from the m.2, the evo 850, the kb/mouse and soundcard which i already have, this is the build I was shooting for.  Newegg has some good specials going on.  But I'll research that 1700 tonight and see how much I can save although I don't really want to go cheaper on the cpu.  

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zkM8LD

4 minutes ago, Ev3rM0r3 said:

Well it's not all about gaming though.  I also run vm's, and dabble in rendering and such that utilizes that cpu speed and demand.  I know it won't matter largely for gaming but I tend to build a system to last me till the next go around.  I usually get 4-5 years out of my pc's before I upgrade.  And with making it by with a phenom 955 till this 8370 I've had been passively upgrading as parts become super cheap. If i go all in, and technology doesn't jump quicker then it has lately, I hope to be fine for awhile.   And if you've ever used editors such as Hammer for game like CSGO or Maya/Max/C4d, a CPU that has as much power and cores as feasible is greatly utilizable to its maximum potential.  

I have however been NOT fine with my 770gtx, and it does not like stero vision gameplay at all.  It cannot handle a triple monitor single screen setup and I actually enjoy that aspect when playing games such as Eve Online or WoW or Star Citizen or anything that can utilize such an expansive field of view.  I have no intentions of buying new monitors though.  Realistically at 1080p I can't really honestly say that it looks better at 4k that on screens that small.  Maybe sharper and a bit smoother, but its not as if the color depth becomes god like so frame rate, and ability to push max graphics is a must. I however have a very clear 4k tv I would like to try the 60hz gaming experience on for couch gaming.

Aside from the m.2, the evo 850, the kb/mouse and soundcard which i already have, this is the build I was shooting for.  Newegg has some good specials going on.  But I'll research that 1700 tonight and see how much I can save although I don't really want to go cheaper on the cpu.  

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zkM8LD

For $2350, assuming you already have the m.2 drive and the 500GB EVO as you said:

R7 1700

Deepcool CAPTAIN 240EX RGB

ASUS Strix X370-F Gaming

32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB

Samsung 960 EVO 250GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Crucial MX300 1.1TB

WD Caviar Black 4TB

EVGA 1080 Ti SC GAMING Black Edition

Fractal Design Meshify C

Supernova G3 1000w

- https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dpf8LD

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Are you posting what you'd like to buy? Or what is all that? The Asus Strixc x370 is moot, you can't use the onboard Video without a cpu with embedded graphics.  Unfortunately its not on board.  No point in buying that at all.  I originally thought about going that route so I could utilize it for my drawing 22" screen I have but sadly ryzen 1700's don't have embedded gfx.  As for my needs I don't utilize at any given point more then 16GB of ram.   Unless you are permanently running multiple vm's you really would never need that much. I actually have a fractal design arc midi ii case.  Love it but I'm handing this old computer on down so its all staying.  

Overall I chose the components in my list for specific needs and because of all the ports/needs/perks of each board I felt it was the best for the money.  And I'm tired of reading how gigabyte, asus, and msi products fail 50% of the time on first buy or a month later specifically with mobo's.  The comments are horrifying on some of the more expensive boards.

My total system of parts I need without vcard on newegg at this time are going to run me 1350$ baseline.  With a 770ti 1800$ give or take, conservatively.  I still think that is too much with having some of the components already.  I guess I'll decide by tomorrow, some of the deals are expiring then.

10 minutes ago, Ev3rM0r3 said:

Are you posting what you'd like to buy? Or what is all that? The Asus Strixc x370 is moot, you can't use the onboard Video without a cpu with embedded graphics.  Unfortunately its not on board.  No point in buying that at all.  I originally thought about going that route so I could utilize it for my drawing 22" screen I have but sadly ryzen 1700's don't have embedded gfx.  As for my needs I don't utilize at any given point more then 16GB of ram.   Unless you are permanently running multiple vm's you really would never need that much. I actually have a fractal design arc midi ii case.  Love it but I'm handing this old computer on down so its all staying.  

Overall I chose the components in my list for specific needs and because of all the ports/needs/perks of each board I felt it was the best for the money.  And I'm tired of reading how gigabyte, asus, and msi products fail 50% of the time on first buy or a month later specifically with mobo's.  The comments are horrifying on some of the more expensive boards.

My total system of parts I need without vcard on newegg at this time are going to run me 1350$ baseline.  With a 770ti 1800$ give or take, conservatively.  I still think that is too much with having some of the components already.  I guess I'll decide by tomorrow, some of the deals are expiring then.

I would drop down from the 1800x. I bought mine a bit prematurely. The 1700 comes with a stock color that is RGB and the 1700 can OC very well. VM's will be just fine on a 1700. The 1700 can OC to 1800 levels.   This will save you $100 on the CPU and you wont need a color so drop another $60. You save $160 that can be added to the GPU. I would upgrade to a GTX 1080 though. The ASUS 1080 is on sale for $500 after rebates. The 1080 Ti is really highly priced right now and just not worth it for 1080p gaming. Also,  Nvidia aint in any hurry to launch the 1100 series GPUs and they will be hard to buy initially.  

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

RAM:  Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200(16gb) | GPU: Evga FTW ACX  3.0 GTX 1080(2x)

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w

3 hours ago, Ev3rM0r3 said:

Get the Ryzen 7 1700 non x, OC it to 3.7ghz on the stock cooler, get a lower end $150 X370 motherboard, and then spend the ~$200 you're saving on a GTX 1060 3gb card. If you can throw more money at a 1070, 1070ti, 1080, or 1080ti then go for it. For 1080p high or VR low/medium settings the 1060 3gb is all you need if you really can't afford anything else.

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

what 1080 for 500 are you referring too?  There are hundreds of them it seems on newegg.com

Actually, not to get critical but does anyone have a short answer that maybe I've missed on the card models.  Does the (Ti) offer something the non-ti does?

1 minute ago, Ev3rM0r3 said:

Actually, not to get critical but does anyone have a short answer that maybe I've missed on the card models.  Does the (Ti) offer something the non-ti does?

The 1070ti is about 15% faster than the 1070.

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

3 minutes ago, Ev3rM0r3 said:

You will get a 0% performance increase in gaming going from your current CPU to a Ryzen 7 1800x if you do not upgrade your video card. Cut back to a Ryzen 7 1700 on the stock cooler and overclock it, put savings towards the most expensive Nvidia GPU you can buy. 1070ti is 10% faster than the 1070. Short enough?

So reducing down the 1700 x got me a better deal then 100 on the combo package for the mobo/ram/cpu, which is great, and if i add this 1080 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GAI6478/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza it brings my grand total to 1500 even before shipping.  

I like how you all don't try to push the 1080ti or the best and also say that its not needed because I don't feel like I'm being pitched something I don't need.  Which tends to be all I see from reviews.  I can honestly say I've had my 770gtx for 4 years and it still runs a significant amount of games, even doom.  So at 550$ i can handle a 1080 and feel confident that it will last as long as it doesn't die before it gets retired.  And according to the reviews that specific card happens to not have continuous failures on it as many of the msi and asus cards seem too.  So with a little shying away from the screen total I may just take the plunge.  And then of course hope everything works when it arrives.

Thanks everyone for your input.