Need help solving internet problems

tr4CR

Hey everyone! I am trying to find a solution to my family's internet problem. There are 6 people living in the house full time and another 2 that live here 3 days a week. In total there are up to 30 or 35+ devices connected to our internet at one time. It never seems to be a problem for anyone other than the 3 gamers in the house. We have Xfinity Internet getting over 900Mbps download and a consistent 40Mbps upload (the download speed sometimes drops to around 150, upload has always been consistent). The gamers complain when multiple people are home because their NAT-type goes from Open to Moderate and sometimes even Strict, especially once someone hops on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. There are 2 gaming PC's (One wireless and the other using Ethernet), 2 PS4s (One wireless and the other using Ethernet), and one Xbox One (Ethernet). Even the gamer using the wired connection (me) experiences problems. 

We are using the default Modem/Router Xfinity gave us. I have been doing some research into what might fix the problem, but the answers have been all over the place so I figured I will finally ask how to fix our problems. Based on my own research, and I might be completely wrong with this, I have figured the best bet for us would be to get another router, set it up as a gateway and have the gamers connect to this one while the rest of the family connects to the main one. Another solution I have thought of is just getting a high end router and giving Xfinity back theirs, setting up QoS and running with that, but I am worried it is still going to be effected greatly by the 35+ devices. What do we need to possibly solve our problem? Thanks in advance for the help!

So what is actually the problem you are experiencing?
You probably have only 1 public IPv4 address assigned from your ISP, and I guess you don't use IPv6 so you will need to use NAT to go to outside servers. So you will need to set up port forwarding to make it work....

So we have port forwarded my PS4 and it worked for a while. Pretty much the problem usually happens once Netflix is on or when there are 4 people home (roughly 20 devices connected). Our NAT type in games such as Call of Duty on the PS4 go from Open to Moderate or Strict, causing us to not be able top connect to our friends or other people to play online. When we do get into an online match we get kicked mid game for have a poor connection to the server. Port forwarding my PS4 helped for a short while, but it has gone back to Moderate and Strict NAT Type. I even set up my PS4 in DMZ. That solved the NAT Type issue for it since, but I still lag in game and disconnect from the servers. This might even be a problem with Xfinity, but every time I have talked to those "techs" I feel like I know more than them, and I don't know much at all when it comes to networking.

Nobody else except for the 3 gamers have any problems with the internet ever, except for the once or twice a month crash it has. We live in Northern California and the internet got substantially worse since the fires, has been somewhat better the last week or so, but it always been a connection and I think even a bandwidth problem for the gamers, even before the fires.

If I didn't answer you question correctly I'm sorry. I really don't know much when it comes to networking and how it all works.

those strict,moderate and open nat types are things defined by the consoles themself not networking things so I had to google them because I don't own a console. But from what I can read for the Xbox is't looking for 3 different UDP ports which are in the extended range so I can imagine these being filled with more people using the internet there.
So you will need to set up 3 port forward rules for each of the xboxes forwarding those 3 UDP ports.
(here they are listed: http://www.cainetworks.com/support/how-to-NAT-strict-open.html)

For the playstation I don't know but google will probably help you there.

1 hour ago, tr4CR said:

Hey everyone! I am trying to find a solution to my family's internet problem. There are 6 people living in the house full time and another 2 that live here 3 days a week. In total there are up to 30 or 35+ devices connected to our internet at one time. It never seems to be a problem for anyone other than the 3 gamers in the house. We have Xfinity Internet getting over 900Mbps download and a consistent 40Mbps upload (the download speed sometimes drops to around 150, upload has always been consistent). The gamers complain when multiple people are home because their NAT-type goes from Open to Moderate and sometimes even Strict, especially once someone hops on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. There are 2 gaming PC's (One wireless and the other using Ethernet), 2 PS4s (One wireless and the other using Ethernet), and one Xbox One (Ethernet). Even the gamer using the wired connection (me) experiences problems. 

We are using the default Modem/Router Xfinity gave us. I have been doing some research into what might fix the problem, but the answers have been all over the place so I figured I will finally ask how to fix our problems. Based on my own research, and I might be completely wrong with this, I have figured the best bet for us would be to get another router, set it up as a gateway and have the gamers connect to this one while the rest of the family connects to the main one. Another solution I have thought of is just getting a high end router and giving Xfinity back theirs, setting up QoS and running with that, but I am worried it is still going to be effected greatly by the 35+ devices. What do we need to possibly solve our problem? Thanks in advance for the help!

First of the those "gateway" devices are shit. I haven't used a Comcast modem/router in years. I would suggest buying your own if you can. Secondly, you need to use port forwarding. I can tell you from my friends experience  with Comcast modem/routers that port forwarding may not work. Shit software you see. One issue is you can only forward those ports to one device on the network. So, yeah, it can be an issue. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

31 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

First of the those "gateway" devices are shit. I haven't used a Comcast modem/router in years. I would suggest buying your own if you can. Secondly, you need to use port forwarding. I can tell you from my friends experience  with Comcast modem/routers that port forwarding may not work. Shit software you see. One issue is you can only forward those ports to one device on the network. So, yeah, it can be an issue. 

Thanks a bunch. I will let my family know. Are there any specific Modem/Router combos we should get? We don't really know much about what is really out there.

1 hour ago, Levisallanon said:

those strict,moderate and open nat types are things defined by the consoles themself not networking things so I had to google them because I don't own a console. But from what I can read for the Xbox is't looking for 3 different UDP ports which are in the extended range so I can imagine these being filled with more people using the internet there.
So you will need to set up 3 port forward rules for each of the xboxes forwarding those 3 UDP ports.
(here they are listed: http://www.cainetworks.com/support/how-to-NAT-strict-open.html)

For the playstation I don't know but google will probably help you there.

Thank you very much! I will look into it

4 minutes ago, tr4CR said:

Thank you very much! I will look into it

9 minutes ago, tr4CR said:

Thanks a bunch. I will let my family know. Are there any specific Modem/Router combos we should get? We don't really know much about what is really out there.

well reading into it more I tought you could just set up the port forwarding like to have any port on the outside match the right port on the inside, but apperently that won't work. so you would need a router which supports UPnP and/or port triggering. From what I can see those solutions worked for people.
Or you want to have multiple external IP addresses (if you ISP is supporting ipv6 you probably have this already) and set it up with those ip addresses.

hmmm there does seem to be a lot of misinformation regarding this topic online indeed....
https://portforward.com/portforward-two-xboxes/default.htm
this site suggest you are able to set up multiple other ports with higher numbers to have them go to the other devices, so I would test that first if I where you.

4 minutes ago, tr4CR said:

Modem/router combos are the problem. ALL Modem/Router combos are shit. You need a separate modem and router for the best solution. 

Modem wise I dont know. Last I seen any modem with the Intel Puma 5,6, and 7 chips have issues. So you need to find one thats broadcom based. Also, if you have Phone Service, then buying your own modem will be much more difficult, as only a few modems are approved by Comcast. You can check out the Comcast supported Device list, as they will show you the supported modems for your service level. You will need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. As they are the only ones that can do Gigabit on the Comcast Network. There are not many to choose from, from what I understand, that should make it easy. Just make sure it dont have an Intel Chip in it. 

54 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Modem/router combos are the problem. ALL Modem/Router combos are shit. You need a separate modem and router for the best solution. 

Modem wise I dont know. Last I seen any modem with the Intel Puma 5,6, and 7 chips have issues. So you need to find one thats broadcom based. Also, if you have Phone Service, then buying your own modem will be much more difficult, as only a few modems are approved by Comcast. You can check out the Comcast supported Device list, as they will show you the supported modems for your service level. You will need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. As they are the only ones that can do Gigabit on the Comcast Network. There are not many to choose from, from what I understand, that should make it easy. Just make sure it dont have an Intel Chip in it. 

Okay that sounds good. Thank you for the input!

Lastly, would it be better to do what you suggested or just get a separate router, connect it to the Xfinity gateway and use it as a separate access point (I think that's the correct terminology) for the gaming devices? Or will buying our own equipment with everyone running through the same router be better? This is the last question I can see me asking. When I suggest anything to my parents and it turns out something else would have been better (even just slightly better) I get an earful (not that I can't live with that). My parents don't like spending more than they need to. Cheap bastards.

1 hour ago, tr4CR said:

Okay that sounds good. Thank you for the input!

Lastly, would it be better to do what you suggested or just get a separate router, connect it to the Xfinity gateway and use it as a separate access point (I think that's the correct terminology) for the gaming devices? Or will buying our own equipment with everyone running through the same router be better? This is the last question I can see me asking. When I suggest anything to my parents and it turns out something else would have been better (even just slightly better) I get an earful (not that I can't live with that). My parents don't like spending more than they need to. Cheap bastards.

It comes down to this, you really only want one router on the network (the xfinity box is a modem and router). Having multiple leads to double NAT which it what you dont want. Running as an AP will work, but your paying $10 or it might even be $11 a month for a shit box from Xfinity. The fact is, my friend has Xfinity and they use the Xfinity modem because they have phone service. He has indicated to me, port forwarding doesn't really function on the box. 

If you decided to keep their box you need to make sure you configure it right. As in turning of the wireless and making sure you get a router (That has AP mode) or buy just a stand alone AP. Alternatively you can have the Comcast gateway put in bridge mode. Essentially turning it in to a modem. Then you can hook up any router you want. 

Tell you parents this. A Docsis 3.1 modem is about $200, Comcast charges lets say $10 a month for their modem. Thats $120 in a year. In two years the modem you bought is paid off. Ive been using the same customer owned modem for like 4 years. And mine was only $80, BUT mine can only do up to 200Mbps (Fastest speed in my area is 150Mbps). So mine has been paid off a few times. Best part is, Comcast is down $10 a month. 

33 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

It comes down to this, you really only want one router on the network (the xfinity box is a modem and router). Having multiple leads to double NAT which it what you dont want. Running as an AP will work, but your paying $10 or it might even be $11 a month for a shit box from Xfinity. The fact is, my friend has Xfinity and they use the Xfinity modem because they have phone service. He has indicated to me, port forwarding doesn't really function on the box. 

If you decided to keep their box you need to make sure you configure it right. As in turning of the wireless and making sure you get a router (That has AP mode) or buy just a stand alone AP. Alternatively you can have the Comcast gateway put in bridge mode. Essentially turning it in to a modem. Then you can hook up any router you want. 

Tell you parents this. A Docsis 3.1 modem is about $200, Comcast charges lets say $10 a month for their modem. Thats $120 in a year. In two years the modem you bought is paid off. Ive been using the same customer owned modem for like 4 years. And mine was only $80, BUT mine can only do up to 200Mbps (Fastest speed in my area is 150Mbps). So mine has been paid off a few times. Best part is, Comcast is down $10 a month. 

I hear you loud and clear. Thanks for all the help