Computer freezes when gaming.

Jalobe

Not really sure where to post this. I've had my computer for about one and a half years and I've had this problem since I got it but the problem just gets worse and worse overtime. I will play video games on the weekends and sometimes on weekdays and seemingly randomly my computer will freeze. I then reboot the computer and it will always freeze once during boot. After rebooting twice I go back to said games and sometimes it freezes again after 5-50 minutes of playing. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all. One night I decided that I was done for the night when it froze and it still froze during the boot the next morning. I have no idea what could be causing the problem but the freezing it becoming more and more frequent making gaming (sometimes) not even possible at all. Any advice at all would be nice.

My System specs are as follows;

Amd Fx-9590

Amd r9 380

ATNG 800w psu

2 Terabyte harddrive

128gb ssd

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5 motherboard

16gb ddr3 ram

Not sure if there is anything that I missed.

Also Im not sure what to be looking at in the event viewer but there are quite a few errors.

fedsfsdfsdfsdf.PNG

I had this problem with my Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 Windforce 3X 4GB. the screens would freeze every day and i had to hard reset. The cause of the problem for me was that the graphics card would run at such a low speed (100mhz or something) that it could not support my 2x 1080p monitors. 

The reason for why i think so is that i adjusted the clocks manually and it stopped freezing, the problem was gone. cause it stayed at 515mhz/650mhz instead of going to ~100mhz like it did on normal settings to save power.

MGctRJX.png

btw my pc never froze when i gamed, but when i exited the game, and waited 2-3min the pc would crash if i forgot to apply this "overclock", had to remove it while playing games of course.

First things first. Refit ur ram and ur gpu recheck after. 

10 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Actually the 380 where pretty stable and good gpu's your problem most likely is the cpu and Mobo, unfortunately the fx9590 can get pretty hot easily and requires a mobo with a very solid phase design (vrm's) as its a very voltage hungry cpu. The 990FXA UD3 is okay generally but not something i would pair that cpu. What kind of cooling do you have on that cpu?

For starters try downclocking the cpu to 4ghz and lower the cpu voltage to about 1.375v. See if it still freezes and we will work our way optimizing from there.

I appreciate the help, but I don't know how to downclock my cpu speed or my cpu voltage. Im assuming they are both in bios so I checked it out, but I'm not sure I should be specifically editing for "cpu voltage" but when I try to lower my 4.7ghz for my cpu it won't let me. It is just locked and i don't know how to unlock it.

This problem has been here since i got my computer and this is the most similar picture i could find to the cooler i have, but it is not the one I have.Related image

3 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Basically its the Corsair Hydro series that came with the CPU right ? BTW here is a nice guide to help getting you acquainted with overclocking options of your mobo (although at least for now you will be doing downclocking):

http://www.overclock.net/t/1140459/bulldozer-overclocking-guide-performance-scaling-charts-max-ocs-ln2-results-coming

What you will need to do is first reduce the CPU multiplier till it reaches 4 Ghz and then voltage till about 1.35v. 

I did both the voltage and the cpu Ghz and once i booted it basically said: Cannot boot due to hardware incorrections. Then showing my current cpu speed ( which was labeled at 5000 mhz) and showing my voltage. My only option was to load optimized defaults.

10 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

That means you increased the multiplier... Like i said reduce it to 4Ghz do not increase but reduce. (rough example: like going from something like 21 to 16)

This is exactly why im confused my clock was at 4.70 so i changed the ratio from 23 to 20 which made to drop to 4.00 ghz. Then when I launched it said it was at 5000 Mhz. Ive tried a couple times and im not sure if I'm, changing the wrong thing or what.