Gsyn / FreeSync explanation please

felisimo16

Hey guys,

i'm in the process of buying a new monitor.

I have a GTX 1080 GPU, which I know is capable of delivering more than 60 FPS, but the monitor i'm currently interested in has freeSync, which is for AMD GPUs, and works only at 60 HZ.

So can anyone explain to me what effect will this difference have on a gaming performance, if any? It is my understanding that frames will be 'wasted'. Is this correct? Is it an issue in my case to not have Gsync?

Thanks a lot!

There're no frames wasted neither more degradation for your graphics card, because IT HAS BEEN MADE TO MAKE FRAMES AND FRAMES IT WILL DO, just sit down, relax and enjoy your game. G-sync synchronize the Hz of your monitor with the frames being generated by your graphics card, for example, let's say your monitor has 60Hz and your card is generating 55 fps (and G-sync is ON), the monitor will turn down its Hz to match your fps and avoid tear (image below). Both Freesync and Gsync do the same thing and both are just effective when your fps is BELOW your monitor's Hz.

1200px-Tearing_(simulated).jpg

14 minutes ago, SecretX said:

There're no frames wasted neither more degradation for your graphics card, because IT HAS BEEN MADE TO MAKE FRAMES AND FRAMES IT WILL DO, just sit down, relax and enjoy your game. G-sync synchronize the Hz of your monitor with the frames being generated by your graphics card, for example, let's say your monitor has 60Hz and your card is generating 55 fps (and G-sync is ON), the monitor will turn down its Hz to match your fps and avoid tear (image below).

1200px-Tearing_(simulated).jpg

So if I understand correctly from the video:

A. GSync is for 'slowing down' the monitor when it's max refresh rate is higher than the GPU's FPS.

B. VSync is exactly the opposite, and it is for 'slowing down' the GPU's FPS when they are higher than the monitor's refresh rate.

In my case, since my monitor is 60 HZ yet my gpu is likely to produce over 60 FPS, I am option B...so unless I have VSync I will get tearing - right? 

33 minutes ago, felisimo16 said:

So if I understand correctly from the video:

A. GSync is for 'slowing down' the monitor when it's max refresh rate is higher than the GPU's FPS.

B. VSync is exactly the opposite, and it is for 'slowing down' the GPU's FPS when they are higher than the monitor's refresh rate.

In my case, since my monitor is 60 HZ yet my gpu is likely to produce over 60 FPS, I am option B...so unless I have VSync I will get tearing - right? 

No, tearing may or may not happen with your monitor, it's not a certainty. Both Gsync (nvidia) and Freesync (amd) works when your FPS is lower than your monitor's Hz, and Fast Sync (nvidia) works when your FPS is higher than your monitor's Hz, AND you can have BOTH activated at same time to have a smooth performance.

don't suggest using Vsync unless playing low paced games such as Hearthstone.

37 minutes ago, SecretX said:

No, tearing may or may not happen with your monitor, it's not a certainty. Both Gsync (nvidia) and Freesync (amd) works when your FPS is lower than your monitor's Hz, and Fast Sync (nvidia) works when your FPS is higher than your monitor's Hz, AND you can have BOTH activated at same time to have a smooth performance.

don't suggest using Vsync unless playing low paced games such as Hearthstone.

Ok thanks a lot! This made me realize that it may not be THAT much of a big deal if I get a monitor without Gsync support because unless I play on 4K, my GPU is likely to produce more FPS than my monitor refresh rate!