RAM Problem after undervolting

OSBK
Go to solution Solved by OSBK,
3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Okay.

you have to know that undervolting is like setting up your own XMP profile which is OCing the memory, that that is a thing that is best left to experts or for when you have the obscene amount of time it takes to get it stable. The timings and frequency would be the thing you would adjust if you are doing a very low undervolt.

Did reset the bios with the RAMs off, then turned off the computer, putted the ram in 2/4 configuration got code 55 quick googling took me asus forum they said to remove the ram and start with one channgel configuration setting up the bios then putting back the second RAM, i did that and i got both rams working in dual channel  2/4, then did put one ram only in dimm 1, booted and it worked, turned off again and used 1/3 configuration and it's working again!
Dual channel and all dimms are working again!
Thanks all of the help, you guys saved me lots of money ^^
i can share more details if anyone wanted..

Hey there all, don't ask why but i did undervolt my 4770k yes the one which is supposed to be overclocked instead! i gave it -110mv on an Asus 7 Ranger, i ran prime 95 for about 20H and it was stable, i turned off prime 95 turned off the computer for the temps to go down a bit, after about an hour i turned it on again applied the undervolt and good to go, the second i opened chrome the computer fully crashed, it survived prime 95 so i didn't think chrome can do something, restarted again and again, fire up chrome and the computer crashes, but when i use the electroneum mining tool which is a CPU based miner it worked fine so i left home and let it running when i came back about 4H later i stopped the miner and launched chrome and again it crashed.. the CPU is related to the memory so went to bios and downclocked the RAM from 2400mhz to 1333mhz and it started and worked fine and this time chrome took about 10 to crash, after it the computer doesn't show any input on the screen after testing i found that the RAM slot got killed :( so i did use the other dimm in the same channel and then the computer didn't turn on at all, Now in order for the computer to work i gotta use single channel configuration, i didn't expect undervolting will kill the RAM slot! even the rams are still working fine!
Is there any way i can check if the DIMM is working or not ?? and if not working how can i fix it ? i really need the dual channel configuration.

when u undervolt ur cpu make sure that the mem controller's voltage stays stock or else it can become unstable :P its probably unstable due to an undervolted mem controller

undervolting doesnt really kill anything, its just unstability due to it

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

when u undervolt ur cpu make sure that the mem controller's voltage stays stock or else it can become unstable :P its probably unstable due to an undervolted mem controller

it was on xmp profile :( so +0.15v

Just now, Remon Salazar said:

it was on xmp profile :( so +0.15v

yeah but if u make adjustments after xmp it can still undervolt the mem controller, xmp just loads a profile with ram settings / volt

i personally use xmp and then adjust to what i want :v

the only thing possible is that u might have damaged the mem controller due to overvolting or smt, that it doesnt see dimmslot 1 anymore for example :S

(◑‿◐)

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

yeah but if u make adjustments after xmp it can still undervolt the mem controller, xmp just loads a profile with ram settings / volt

i personally use xmp and then adjust to what i want :v

the only thing possible is that u might have damaged the mem controller due to overvolting or smt, that it doesnt see dimmslot 1 anymore for example :S

the xmp overvolting shouldn't hurt anything since it is tested by the manufacture ( corsair in my case ) and what's weird is that i was using dual channel configuration with dimm 1 in both channels, but what got damaged or not working is both channel 2 dimms and they first channel is working fine! 

the xmp overvolting shouldn't hurt anything since it is tested by the manufacture ( corsair in my case ) and what's weird is that i was using dual channel configuration with dimm 1 in both channels, but what got damaged or not working is both channel 2 dimms and they first channel is working fine! 

dual channel only works in specific dimm slots combined, should be in the manual

usually its slot 1 and 3

2 and 4

(◑‿◐)

dual channel only works in specific dimm slots combined, should be in the manual

usually its slot 1 and 3

2 and 4

yes that's right, before the issue appeared i was running dual channel on dimm 1 and 3 ! but the ones not working now is dimm 3 and 4! i mean i didn't use 4 at all..

yes that's right, before the issue appeared i was running dual channel on dimm 1 and 3 ! but the ones not working now is dimm 3 and 4! i mean i didn't use 4 at all..

u need to set the rams in slot 1 and 3

or 2 and 4

if u set 3/4 or 1/2 it will run in single channel mode

u can read ur motherboards manual to see which dimms have the best compatibility

on some boards its actually dimm 2 and 4 rathern then 1/3

(◑‿◐)

I feel a little wary of undervolting, I know that a brown-out can hurt a PC, one reason I have a UPS.

So I wonder if undervolting can harm a CPU if it is asked to do more than the voltage makes it capable of?

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

It is normally in slots 2 and 4 first then slots 1 and 3 if you populate the whole four slots.

@Remon Salazar Have you tried to clear your CMOS without the RAM installed?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Just now, Leonard said:

It is normally in slots 2 and 4 first then slots 1 and 3 if you populate the whole four slots.

ive seen 50/50 on which slots tbh

many boards had slot 1/3 and many had 2/4    asus tend to have more compatibility in 2/4    

(◑‿◐)

u need to set the rams in slot 1 and 3

or 2 and 4

if u set 3/4 or 1/2 it will run in single channel mode

i know, but 3 and 4 not working, only 1 and 2 works

2 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

I feel a little wary of undervolting, I know that a brown-out can hurt a PC, one reason I have a UPS.

So I wonder if undervolting can harm a CPU if it is asked to do more than the voltage makes it capable of?

it doesn't damage it at all, CPUs are fed more voltage than they need anyways, (gpus too i guess) so when they need more voltage and don't find it they'll down clock or crash.

without ram installed no! i'll try it right now!

i know, but 3 and 4 not working, only 1 and 2 works

it doesn't damage it at all, CPUs are fed more voltage than they need anyways, (gpus too i guess) so when they need more voltage and don't find it they'll down clock or crash.

try a manual memcontroller overvoltage ( dont go crzy on it ) and try some higher volt then xmp , maybe xmp profile got bugged out ( happened to me in 1 ram kit once before )

(◑‿◐)

6 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

ive seen 50/50 on which slots tbh

many boards had slot 1/3 and many had 2/4    asus tend to have more compatibility in 2/4    

Right. I normally mostly use ASUS boards.

6 minutes ago, Remon Salazar said:

without ram installed no! i'll try it right now!

Okay.

you have to know that undervolting is like setting up your own XMP profile which is OCing the memory, that that is a thing that is best left to experts or for when you have the obscene amount of time it takes to get it stable. The timings and frequency would be the thing you would adjust if you are doing a very low undervolt.

Okay.

Did reset the bios with the RAMs off, then turned off the computer, putted the ram in 2/4 configuration got code 55 quick googling took me asus forum they said to remove the ram and start with one channgel configuration setting up the bios then putting back the second RAM, i did that and i got both rams working in dual channel  2/4, then did put one ram only in dimm 1, booted and it worked, turned off again and used 1/3 configuration and it's working again!

3 minutes ago, Remon Salazar said:

So you have the RAM currently in slots 1 & 3?

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

So you have the RAM currently in slots 1 & 3?

Yes, and it's working perfectly as before with both stock and xmp profile!
2 & 4 are working as well!

That is nice but your manualy sasy to use slots 2 & 4 for two sticks. This is how it is with ASUS boards, it offers best compatibility and OCing performance.

Take a look.........http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VII-RANGER/E9798_maximus_vii_ranger_ug_v2_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.221367000.1905317462.1511030728-1641370032.1511030728

2 minutes ago, Remon Salazar said:

Scroll to 1.2.4

14 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Scroll to 1.2.4

All perfect mate, thanks for the help! i really appreciate it, i didn't wanna buy a new mobo just cause the rams aren't working!
It is all perfect, thanks again ^^