GPU Overheating Custom Loop When No Load on CPU

Hello Guys,

Received my brand new PC a few days ago with the following specs: 
- I9 7900X
- 32GB RAM
- 1080TI SLI 
- 2x rads with 4x Corsair ML LED 140mm (2 on each rad)

- PUMP: ek-ddc x-res csq

CPU and GPU are both water cooled, but i have a very weird problem. The first GPU overheats after a period of 30 minutes / 1 hour of gaming. It gets up to 100 degrees. 

The weird thing is when i run only furmark the first GPU gets HOT, but when i run CPU-Z benchmark next to furmark to increase load on CPU to 100% the GPU temps drop???? While all my fans are already running on max speed using fanxpert 4 and everything is set to max speed in bios.

Here is a screenshot of my temps dropping immediately after i run a CPU benchmark and getting up again after i stop the cpu benchmark:
3hI5noq.jpg

Here is a picture of my build: 

image.jpg

(Also notice the air bubble that i can't seem to get away on the gpu block i flipped the case in everyside trying for 2 days now. It always gets back at that point.)

Idle temps are ok at 26 & 29 degrees for the gpu's.

I really have no idea why temps drop when CPU load is high, all fans are at MAX and i can't control them any further. GPU overheats when i only stress the GPU but when i stress the CPU next to the GPU the GPU temps drop as seen in screenshot above.

I'm not a physicist by any means, and I havent done any custom loops. Is it possible that the loop is too long? It looks longer than most. Plus, if that sure bubble sits there, that means fluid isn't moving through the section.

That isn't a small bubble.

So, also, is the pump set to speed up with only the CPU?

I'm not really an expert at water cooling, but I think you should first of all try to get rid of that bubble and refill the system if you have time

On 11/18/2017 at 6:58 AM, Ryujin2003 said:

I'm not a physicist by any means, not have I don't any custom loops. If it possible, that with the loop is too long? It looks longer than most. Plus, if that sure bubble sits there, that means fluid isn't moving through the section.

So, also, is there pump set to speed up with only the CPU?

I didn't make this PC myself, i bought this configuration from a company.

The pump doesn't seem to be controllable since it's not plugged into the motherboard, i can't control it: http://prntscr.com/hc25bs

I can't get that bubble away from there, i tried everything. It just goes back to that spot. 

Still temps are decreasing when load is put on the cpu.

On 11/18/2017 at 6:59 AM, FatalPotatoe said:

I'm not really an expert at water cooling, but I think you should first of all try to get rid of that bubble and refill the system if you have time

Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? Flipped the case in every single direction. When the bubble seems to be gone it goes straight back to there after a while.

If the pump is PWM, it only reacts from the cpu temp, people usually recommend getting something like an aquaero or having a pump set to a fixed speed.

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K & Corsair H100i v2
Mobo: Asus Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 32 Gigs @ 3000Mhz, Corsair Dominator Platinum
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 A8G
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Case: Fractal Design Define S

what pump are you suing exactly? is it PWM or just Molex powered, and what speed is it running at? try setting it to run at max speed and see if you can get the flow to your cards to increase.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:03 AM, jnkokseby said:

If the pump is PWM, it only reacts from the cpu temp, people usually recommend getting something like an aquaero or having a pump set to a fixed speed.

I'm kinda noob at this, didn't even create the PC myself but i know some basic things and i can switch the cable.

The power cable of the pump is currently not plugged directly into the motherboard, should i change this? It's uncontrollable. 

It's a ek-ddc x-res csq, they should run at full speed all the time right? So does it even make a difference?

On 11/18/2017 at 7:04 AM, RollinLower said:

what pump are you suing exactly? is it PWM or just Molex powered, and what speed is it running at? try setting it to run at max speed and see if you can get the flow to your cards to increase.

Not sure which speed, cant read it, can't control it. Not plugged into the motherboard but directly powered from psu 

Pump: ek-ddc x-res csq

Also that airbubble is massive and is probably partly the reason, the res should have more liquid in it. Try taking the lid off res and carefully tilt the case (DON'T SPILL), there might be some pressure buildup or something holding the bubble back

1 minute ago, Soma_Proxy said:

Not sure which speed, cant read it, can't control it. Not plugged into the motherboard but directly powered from psu 

Pump: ek-ddc x-res csq

those pump usually have a dial at the bottom to control the speed. i have a molex alphacool pump myself.

The little red dial on this pic.

20171118_140650.thumb.jpg.d0af0f2c559393350755186769ef8e26.jpg

Just now, RollinLower said:

those pump usually have a dial at the bottom to control the speed. i have a molex alphacool pump myself.

Should i set it higher if possible? 

But if it's only controllable from the bottom why are the temps of the gpu decreasing when there is 100% load on the CPU?

All fans that i can controll are running at max: http://prntscr.com/hc27ln

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

I'm not sure ddc pump have that dial, d5's normally do though.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:08 AM, jnkokseby said:

I'm not sure ddc pump have that dial, d5's normally do though.

No it doesn't have a dial, just checked.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:06 AM, RollinLower said:

The little red dial on this pic.

Doesn't have it. :S

1 minute ago, Soma_Proxy said:

Doesn't have it. :S

welp, that was my best guess lol :P

i honestly don;t get why you have this problem. can't you contact the builders of your machine? they should have tested it before shipping for things like this.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:13 AM, RollinLower said:

welp, that was my best guess lol :P

i honestly don;t get why you have this problem. can't you contact the builders of your machine? they should have tested it before shipping for things like this.

Made a huge mistake buying from these guys, can't contact them for a week. They are closed. 

Paid 6k for this build and it's pretty much shit since i can't game for longer then 1 hour.

Maybe the plugged the pump wrong? If anyone can explain me why temps are decreasing when i put load on the CPU while all fans are running at max speed?

Maybe i can change a cable and plug it into another header?

Just now, Soma_Proxy said:

Maybe the plugged the pump wrong? If anyone can explain me why temps are decreasing when i put load on the CPU while all fans are running at max speed?

Maybe i can change a cable and plug it into another header?

it is possible that it is plugged into the CPU header of your motherboard. that would explain why CPU load would drop temps, since it would spin up the pump as your CPU got hotter, thus also increase flow to your GPUs.

maybe see if that cable leads to the pump somehow?

On 11/18/2017 at 7:17 AM, RollinLower said:

it is possible that it is plugged into the CPU header of your motherboard. that would explain why CPU load would drop temps, since it would spin up the pump as your CPU got hotter, thus also increase flow to your GPUs.

maybe see if that cable leads to the pump somehow?

Look at this: http://prntscr.com/hc2ayi is stress the cpu, temps drop back to 58 degrees instantly. 

Pump is not plugged into the motherboard, it get's powered through the PSU.

No fans are plugged into the motherboard, there is a hub on the back of the motherboard that powers all fans: E865_FBE5_E461_4876_8899_967371_B31373.j

On 11/18/2017 at 7:21 AM, Soma_Proxy said:

Look at this: http://prntscr.com/hc2ayi is stress the cpu, temps drop back to 58 degrees instantly. 

Pump is not plugged into the motherboard, it get's powered through the PSU.

No fans are plugged into the motherboard, there is a hub on the back of the motherboard that powers all fans: 

In which header should the pump be in? To change speed for both gpu and cpu temps? I will try to plug it in there.

Having Asus x299 deluxe motherboard.

OMG I'm so stupid, GPU temps are dropping when i stress the CPU because the GPU doesn't get any load anymore because CPU is used 100%.

So the first card is overheating due to something else: image.jpg

I'm guessing because of the air bubble? But i can't get it away. Tried for 2 days by flipping the case in 100% directions.

It gets back there everytime.

15 minutes ago, Soma_Proxy said:

OMG I'm so stupid, GPU temps are dropping when i stress the CPU because the GPU doesn't get any load anymore because CPU is used 100%.

So the first card is overheating due to something else: image.jpg

I'm guessing because of the air bubble? But i can't get it away. Tried for 2 days by flipping the case in 100% directions.

It gets back there everytime.

39 minutes ago, jnkokseby said:

Try taking the lid off the* res and carefully tilt the case (DON'T SPILL), there might be some pressure buildup or something holding the bubble back

So are the fans increasing with gpu temp aswell or just cpu load?

Is it over heating in real world or just the stupid donut of death?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

11 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

So are the fans increasing with gpu temp aswell or just cpu load?

Is it over heating in real world or just the stupid donut of death?

Hello,

The topic is not right anymore, the GPU temps are lower when stressing the cpu because the gpu do not process furmark anymore when cpu is under 100% load.

Still have overheating issue with only 1 of the 2 gpu's the first one from above is 20/30 degrees hotter then the second GPU, not only in furmark but when playing games too. Temps get up too 90 degrees when playing gta 5 for a hour, both cards have about the same load in SLI, maybe because of airbubbles? Still can't clear them out. They keep comming back when they are out... -_-

I read something about dish soap? It can clear all the airbubbles? Does this also work for colored liquid?

On 11/18/2017 at 7:45 AM, jnkokseby said:

Still not getting it out, when i think it's gone it just goes back to that point.

I read something about dish soap? Should i try that to clear out the airbubbles? I think that's the reason 1 gpu is overheating. There is a 20 degree difference between the two...

Ok you keep saying over heating but I don't see any numbers. Download an actual benchmark like valley or heaven and run the test. Also watch the fans speed and while doing it. If speedfan was setup correctly to go up with gpu temp. 

As far as air bubbles go, you need to put the pump at max speed and lilt the case slightly to ensure the trapped air can actually move. A few bubbles aren't gonna do anything for temps. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz