Recommendations please

Gurgeh

Greetings fellow nerds and techheads!

after many years of hard work, I've decided to upgrade my home machine.  Until about 18 months ago I was a bit of a WoW addict, but nowadays I don't play games at all.  In fact I use the machine more for video and photo editing. 

I'm looking to upgrade motherboard, CPU and RAM to start with.  Give onboard graphics a trial, and later if I decide it's needed install a new graphics card.  I'm almost certain I'm going to use the Intel corei7 7700K processor, but I'm unsure what to put it in.

Can anyone give me any recommendations on a reasonable, reliable motherboard, socket 1151, with at least 3 PCI-E slots, 1x16 for graphics, 1x8 for a Mellanox connectx-2 10gbe NIC (used to connect to my NAS), and 1x1 for whatever (currently used for a 1gb Intel Pro NIC).

To start with, I'm looking at 1x8GB PC2400 ram, which will be upgraded when funds allow.  Again, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks from the UK.

Nik.

P.S. If it matters, I use both Windows 10 and Debian linux.   Mostly linux.

5 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Greetings fellow nerds and techheads!

after many years of hard work, I've decided to upgrade my home machine.  Until about 18 months ago I was a bit of a WoW addict, but nowadays I don't play games at all.  In fact I use the machine more for video and photo editing. 

I'm looking to upgrade motherboard, CPU and RAM to start with.  Give onboard graphics a trial, and later if I decide it's needed install a new graphics card.  I'm almost certain I'm going to use the Intel corei7 7700K processor, but I'm unsure what to put it in.

Can anyone give me any recommendations on a reasonable, reliable motherboard, socket 1151, with at least 3 PCI-E slots, 1x16 for graphics, 1x8 for a Mellanox connectx-2 10gbe NIC (used to connect to my NAS), and 1x1 for whatever (currently used for a 1gb Intel Pro NIC).

To start with, I'm looking at 1x8GB PC2400 ram, which will be upgraded when funds allow.  Again, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks from the UK.

Nik.

P.S. If it matters, I use both Windows 10 and Debian linux.   Mostly linux.

What is your budget, and I would not reccomend the 7700k

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Just now, Thermosman said:

What is your budget, and I would not reccomend the 7700k

Under £600 if I can get away with it.  Overclocking is not an option.

Why don't you recommend the 7700K and what would you choose?

2 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Under £600 if I can get away with it.  Overclocking is not an option.

Why don't you recommend the 7700K and what would you choose?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xjZCNN

I know its a bit over

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM