I5-4800 or ryzen 5 1600 for a 1070?

Both cpus are in my budget just want to know if they will bottle neck at 1080p and if so which one would bottle neck less

The covfefe for 1080p.

Depends on refresh rate.

Ryzen is enough for 120Hz and less.

8400 for anything above

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

This depends completely on what game you're playing. Just get the most powerful CPU you can

Watch this:

Both CPUs give you virtually the same performance in games so if you're buying now - go Ryzen, if you can wait then wait for lower-end Coffee lake motherboards to release in early 2018.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Ryzen, better performance all round, rather than just for gaming and a clear upgrade path for at least four years, unlike the Intel CPU.

16 hours ago, BlitzThePcSpecalist said:

I would hands down go for the Ryzen chip. It's running a modern architecture and is an all around decent CPU.

Concider having a look at this page before you chose: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4800MQ-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/m3437vs3919

the i5 8400 is also running a modern architecture, and the 4800MQ is completely different from the 8400.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I'd go for ryzen due to the lower clocks of the 8400, lack of SMT and locked multiplier. 

Plus the 8400 requires a z370 board atm

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

ryzen due to 12 threads and upgradability with am4 mobo.

if you have the cash, and want the best of all worlds, go coffee lake i7.

if its strictly for gaming and you dont care to have a shorter "gaming" life span due to 6 threads, and you only care about its gaming performance in the next 2 years or so, i5 is an ok option...would still personally go either ryzen or an i7. i think i5 is kind of a weird choice people make.