VSYNC - FREESYNC compatibility

FR05T7

sorry if this isnt posted in the correct spot.. first time posting here :)

Perhaps someone knows the answer...

Months ago i purchased an LG 29 inch Ultrawide monitor, it uses freesync and sorry i dont have the exact model handy. this monitor beeing a freesync monitor my plan at the time was to upgrade my graphics card from my old radeon HD 7850 to something like the RX series. with the gpu shortages i had to "settle" for an asus GTX 1070 strix(Gaming edition). googling to see if Nvidia cards with freesync monitors worked, all i found is that Vsync would impede on performance if turned on ( makes sense ) and that overall the experience wouldnt be as great as with an AMD card, so ok... freesync off it is!

Games like Borderlands 2 or wolfenstein looked nice, played well but if FPS went over 60 i had screen tearing. since its a 60hrz monitor i figured it was because the card pushed out too much for it to handle so i locked fps to 60 where possible, 60 FPS is nice but not what i hoped to play on. yesterday for some reason i fiddled in my monitor menu and for some reason i enabled freesync and suddenly everything looked so much better and played games so much better too,unlocked or locked FPS dont matter anymore, just butter smooth now with FPS in hundreds depending on the games.

Vsync is still turned off but howcome enabling freesync made everything better if its not supposed to be good with Nvidias cards?

Anyone know?

17 minutes ago, FR05T7 said:

Might have changed some other settings as well

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

it was also my thought at first so for the hell of it i reset the panel settings and re-enabled freesync in game mode. same result. i love it dont get me wrong but im trying to understand why and how performance is changed, a night and day experience. literally :P 

1 minute ago, FR05T7 said:

it was also my thought at first so for the hell of it i reset the panel settings and re-enabled freesync in game mode. same result. i love it dont get me wrong but im trying to understand why and how performance is changed, a night and day experience. literally :P 

Right but the option itself might change some other settings like putting it into a game mode for faster pixel to pixel response or something.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

hmmm. well i did notice the response time for input ( sorry im at work i forget the actual setting name ) was still set to "middle" and didnt change. ill have to try it out when i get home, see if bumping it to "high"  embelishes the experience.