Does using on-board graphics card for extra monitors increase performance

Hi,

So i have the on-board Intel HD 4600 as well as Nvidia GTX 660, and 3 monitors; 1x 1920x1080 22' and 2x 1366x768 (13"?)

My current set up is plugging only the 1080p into my Nvidia card and then both the 768s into the Intel card.

It all runs fine, but i the monitors on the Intel are differently coloured to the Nvidia on (not that much of a problem).

My question is, does it increase performance to do it like this, or will it slow it down? I only game on the 1080p one and use the others for teamspeak, console etc.

I just wanted to know, because as my pc is getting old, the cpu is getting really hot, and could possibly be due to the extra load from the 2 other monitors.

Thank you in advance :D 

20 minutes ago, Stefan Schroder said:

Hi,

So i have the on-board Intel HD 4600 as well as Nvidia GTX 660, and 3 monitors; 1x 1920x1080 22' and 2x 1366x768 (13"?)

My current set up is plugging only the 1080p into my Nvidia card and then both the 768s into the Intel card.

It all runs fine, but i the monitors on the Intel are differently coloured to the Nvidia on (not that much of a problem).

My question is, does it increase performance to do it like this, or will it slow it down? I only game on the 1080p one and use the others for teamspeak, console etc.

I just wanted to know, because as my pc is getting old, the cpu is getting really hot, and could possibly be due to the extra load from the 2 other monitors.

Thank you in advance :D 

Well, at least split your monitors like that won't affect your performance (on the main monitor) negatively. Although it may or may not affect your performance positively too. What is your CPU, cooler and PSU? Have you changed your thermal past (recently)?

Modern GPUs shouldn't have any performance penalty when running single monitor vs multi monitor. The only penalty you might see while running multiple GPUs off the dedicated card is the card won't reach full idle. Aside from that, you shouldn't notice any difference.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

13 minutes ago, SecretX said:

Well, at least split your monitors like that won't affect your performance (on the main monitor) negatively. Although it may or may not affect your performance positively too. What is your CPU, cooler and PSU? Have you changed your thermal past (recently)?

I still have the stock fan on my CPU, but i am getting a proper heat sink soon. (i think i also messed up the thermal paste 3 months ago, so that would probably explain it xD) 

But if it doesn't negatively or positively affect much then i guess my question is answered, thank you :D