Another 1080 rma

SoloDolo

So, I this is now my 3rd time RMA'ing one of my 1080s. The first one would cause my entire system to power off. The second RMA was working for a bit but just randomly shuts down but the rest of my PC is running. This type of stuff drives me crazy. Anyone else had issues with having to RMA a GPU multiple times? 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

RAM:  Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200(16gb) | GPU: Evga FTW ACX  3.0 GTX 1080(2x)

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w

it's very likely to be your CPU overclock more than the GPU. i had problems with insttability in my OC early on that seemed to be GPU related but where in fact the OC

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Both issues you described are very similar and may be caused by unstable CPU or RAM OC, are you sure the 1080s are at fault?

Heck, even motherboard VRM overheating or PSU may be the issue here.

And considering your motherboard and CPU frequency in your signature, my bet is on VRM or CPU being the issue.

5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Both issues you described are very similar and may be caused by unstable CPU or RAM OC, are you sure the 1080s are at fault?

Heck, even motherboard VRM overheating or PSU may be the issue here.

And considering your motherboard and CPU frequency in your signature, my bet is on VRM or CPU being the issue.

I removed my CPU OC and RAM OC. Same issue. Its only one the 1080s. Im gaming just fine with one of them. I did test my PSU and it looks good. I plugged my other 1080 into a separate PC and same issue occurs. 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w

28 minutes ago, SoloDolo said:

I removed my CPU OC and RAM OC. Same issue. Its only one the 1080s. Im gaming just fine with one of them. I did test my PSU and it looks good. I plugged my other 1080 into a separate PC and same issue occurs. 

damn, sounds like sol

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Try to run faulty 1080 in other pcie slot as the only card while having cpu fixed at 3.5ghz (no oc doesnt mean it wont turbo to 4.0ghz) and no ram oc and side panel of your case open. This way you eliminate potential vrm issue, overclock issue and pcie slot issue. Also I advise you to run all of this on 1 ram stick and then on other one so you can eliminate ram issue.

If nothing of this helps and you run latest bios then rma without worries. Oh and check your psu cables for any loose wires.

Good luck!

20 hours ago, Verrm said:

Try to run faulty 1080 in other pcie slot as the only card while having cpu fixed at 3.5ghz (no oc doesnt mean it wont turbo to 4.0ghz) and no ram oc and side panel of your case open. This way you eliminate potential vrm issue, overclock issue and pcie slot issue. Also I advise you to run all of this on 1 ram stick and then on other one so you can eliminate ram issue.

If nothing of this helps and you run latest bios then rma without worries. Oh and check your psu cables for any loose wires.

Good luck!

Tried this last night and everything worked. I tossed in an old GTX 660 my friend let me borrow. OC'd my CPU to 3.8ghz and Ocd my ram to around 2966mhz and it ran all night through Unreal Valley.  Tossed in the problem 1080 and bam instantly shut down after 5 minutes running unreal valley. PC stayed on though. 

Out of 20 or so gpu's ive only had one issue. A 660ti got fried when I decided to touch the sli bridge. Took it back to bestbuy. Aside from that I don't break pc components, which is the only way to have issues now a days.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I've actually had to RMA a couple 1080s myself, granted I've been through about 40 of them, so i am more likely to run into issues with them. Not sure if it's just coincidence or not but both models I've had to RMA have been Asus Strix. I'm an ROG fanboy, so we'll go with just a coincidence :)

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

20 hours ago, SoloDolo said:

Tried this last night and everything worked. I tossed in an old GTX 660 my friend let me borrow. OC'd my CPU to 3.8ghz and Ocd my ram to around 2966mhz and it ran all night through Unreal Valley.  Tossed in the problem 1080 and bam instantly shut down after 5 minutes running unreal valley. PC stayed on though. 

Good! So now I need you to do the same but borrow other PSU from someone. Yours might cause voltage spikes that cause OVP to shut off power. It does sound like power delivery issue, and having this in mind there are 3 possibilities: PSU, Mobo or GPU. Mobo is probably least likely and PSU is very unlikely, but we need to work with whatever options we have at hand. First I'd check everything on other PSU. Then I'd check it again, but the (seemingly faulty) GPU being in second PCIE slot. If it still wont work I'd RMA the faulty 1080 and did whole-night stress test on new card to make sure that mobo was not the issue.

Good luck!