Advice for small NAS

I am building a small NAS with like 2x1TB HDDs and at least room to expand to 4x1TB in the future (Will be running them in Raid 1 when its 2 and Raid 10 when it's 4, ik it isn't the best but I don't want to buy too many drives). I already have a mATX mobo and CPU (and stock cooler) which I will be using, I also have 4gb of RAM and am wondering if I need more. I'm quite new to making a NAS so I'm not too sure. Also, I will be running FreeNAS on it so should I get a drive for FreeNAS (I have an old one I can use) or should I just put it on a USB?

Now the main reason I made this post does anyone know a good case for a NAS that is affordable for a small a NAS as this is. I was looking at the Corsair Carbide Air 240 (im not sure if I have room but still might get it and move the location I wanted to put the NAS) but I'm open to any suggestions (I have seen a couple of other cases like one of the U-NAS Cases or one of these SilverStone Cases but they are a bit pricey and while on a bigger NAS build I will probably use one of those 2 and they also need Mini-ITX mobos and some need different types of PSUs as well. (I also have a PSU)

For the drives, I'm planning on using 1TB WD Reds.

So I need suggestions for a case, and recommendations about RAM and general tips about making a NAS.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 4.7GHz Turbo

Motherboard: Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1551 (300 Series)

RAM: 2x8GB Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080

SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Cooling: Corsair H115i Pro RGB

Main Display: Dell S2417DG 1440p 144/165Hz G-Sync (2560x1440)

Secondary Displays: 2 x Dell P2312H 1080p 60Hz (1920x1080)

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Logitech G703 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse

Headset: Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Headset

3 minutes ago, epic_ziver_D said:

I am building a small NAS with like 2x1TB HDDs and at least room to expand to 4x1TB in the future (Will be running them in Raid 1 when its 2 and Raid 10 when it's 4, ik it isn't the best but I don't want to buy too many drives). I already have a mATX mobo and CPU (and stock cooler) which I will be using, I also have 4gb of RAM and am wondering if I need more. I'm quite new to making a NAS so I'm not too sure. Also, I will be running FreeNAS on it so should I get a drive for FreeNAS (I have an old one I can use) or should I just put it on a USB?

Now the main reason I made this post does anyone know a good case for a NAS that is affordable for a small a NAS as this is. I was looking at the Corsair Carbide Air 240 (im not sure if I have room but still might get it and move the location I wanted to put the NAS) but I'm open to any suggestions (I have seen a couple of other cases like one of the U-NAS Cases or one of these SilverStone Cases but they are a bit pricey and while on a bigger NAS build I will probably use one of those 2 and they also need Mini-ITX mobos and some need different types of PSUs as well. (I also have a PSU)

For the drives, I'm planning on using 1TB WD Reds.

So I need suggestions for a case, and recommendations about RAM and general tips about making a NAS.

Fractal design node 804 it has 8 drive bays, small cube form factor

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

NAS' don't really need a lot of RAM, 4GB should do you fine

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

3 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

Fractal design node 804 it has 8 drive bays, small cube form factor

I was thinking of that but it costs about 180$ if I buy locally (which I can just buy from Newegg but this isn't for personal use but for a company and they rather not have to order not locally) Also one of the reasons I like the Carbide Air 240 is the external HDD access but being its not hot-swap I don't really care. I might use it but not sure. (Node 304 is normal priced here but it means new mobo and new PSU I think).

Any other recommendations (Might use the 804 will have to talk with someone)

PC Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, epic_ziver_D said:

I was thinking of that but it costs about 180$ if I buy locally (which I can just buy from Newegg but this isn't for personal use but for a company and they rather not have to order not locally) Also one of the reasons I like the Carbide Air 240 is the external HDD access but being its not hot-swap I don't really care. I might use it but not sure. (Node 304 is normal priced here but it means new mobo and new PSU I think).

Any other recommendations (Might use the 804 will have to talk with someone)

Its about 116

https://pcpartpicker.com/mr/newegg/yTdqqs

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

If you're going to store that little data, I'd suggest a prebuilt over building a NAS yourself.   IMO it just doesn't make financial sense to build it yourself until you reach about 6-8 drives.  You won't be able to build something new for the same price as for example a WD EX4

Just now, Thermosman said:

Its about 116

$116.98

I mean the only company who sells it locally has it overpriced the only way for me to get it at the normal price would be to order from Newegg but as I said I don't want to order not locally if I don't have to.

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

If you're going to store that little data, I'd suggest a prebuilt over building a NAS yourself.   IMO it just doesn't make financial sense to build it yourself until you reach about 6-8 drives.  You won't be able to build something new for the same price as for example a WD EX4

Yes but the reason I'm doing this is that I already have a CPU+Mobo+PSU meaning I just need a case and the HDDs and then in the future, I can expand it. (I am hoping that in the future if I need bigger capacity I can just swap the case and slowly through time upgrade).

PC Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, epic_ziver_D said:

I mean the only company who sells it locally has it overpriced the only way for me to get it at the normal price would be to order from Newegg but as I said I don't want to order not locally if I don't have to.

Yes but the reason I'm doing this is that I already have a CPU+Mobo+PSU meaning I just need a case and the HDDs and then in the future, I can expand it. (I am hoping that in the future if I need bigger capacity I can just swap the case and slowly through time upgrade).

Why do you not want to biy onlinr? Btw i fixed the link in my post

Just now, Thermosman said:

Why do you not want to biy onlinr? Btw i fixed the link in my post

As I said it's for a company (altho it's like a small one and if they ever swap it I will probs get it, it's hard to explain) and while I did try and think I might be able to convince them to buy online they rather have a local company for some reason. Also, I just found out that it will be quite a bit more expensive (I thought that I was looking at a Node 804 but it was a node 304 so I will need to order from non-local amazon or Newegg which means expensive shipping and imports. (The 804 is more expensive than the Carbide Air 240 even without shipping and imports which will be at least another 50$ and shipping costs aren't a thing when buying locally.)

PC Specs:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, epic_ziver_D said:

As I said it's for a company (altho it's like a small one and if they ever swap it I will probs get it, it's hard to explain) and while I did try and think I might be able to convince them to buy online they rather have a local company for some reason. Also, I just found out that it will be quite a bit more expensive (I thought that I was looking at a Node 804 but it was a node 304 so I will need to order from non-local amazon or Newegg which means expensive shipping and imports. (The 804 is more expensive than the Carbide Air 240 even without shipping and imports which will be at least another 50$ and shipping costs aren't a thing when buying locally.)

where are you located?

15 hours ago, Thermosman said:

where are you located?

Isreal, is there any other case you can recommend? (As I said im leaning toward Carbide Air 240 because its available for normal prices and without shipping costs)

PC Specs:

Spoiler

Does anyone have any other tips for NAS's?

PC Specs:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, epic_ziver_D said:

Does anyone have any other tips for NAS's?

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#xcx=0&t=11,5,7,6,8,9,10&J=8,20

Any of these, but they are not any cheaper