I added a new ssd in my build and I can't access my games that are on my hdd

Go to solution Solved by emosun,
1 minute ago, CrisisRogue said:

it's easier to do it one time than to do it for all time.

so... did you essentially install an ssd and leave your old windows installation on the 1 tb hdd along with all your game installs? 

because that's a classic case of "time to reinstall all your games". Or else buy an ssd that is large enough for you to clone your old windows installation to it. 

So, I added a new ssd in my build and I can't access my games that are on my hdd. I have a 120gb ssd and 550gb of stuff (mostly games) on my HDD, and I can't access them. For me, it's a big deal (cuz I can't game) and I didn't find any video or post on the internet that tackles this issue. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

More info?

Specs? Check cables.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

More info?

Specs? Check cables.

R5 1600

GTX 980

8gb 2666 ram

1tb barracuda hdd

12ogb Kingston ssd

all cables are in and everything works, it's just that I can't make a shortcut to my games and put those shortcuts on my new desktop (on the ssd).

Just now, CrisisRogue said:

R5 1600

GTX 980

8gb 2666 ram

1tb barracuda hdd

12ogb Kingston ssd

all cables are in and everything works, it's just that I can't make a shortcut to my games and put those shortcuts on my new desktop (on the ssd).

Wait, what? I'm confused. First I thought you couldn't access the HDD, and now you want game shortcuts? Just reinstall Windows, or at least all your games. Don't bother manually making shortcuts.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Wait, what? I'm confused. First I thought you couldn't access the HDD, and now you want game shortcuts? Just reinstall Windows, or at least all your games. Don't bother manually making shortcuts.

No! I didn't say I couldn't access the HDD, I said I couldn't access my games! And 500gb of games don't fit on a 120gb ssd. And I don't care manually making shortcuts.

No! I didn't say I couldn't access the HDD, I said I couldn't access my games! And 500gb of games don't fit on a 120gb ssd.

Elaborate on "can't access".

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Elaborate on "can't access".

can't launch them without actually going on the HDD and lauch them from there.

can't launch them without actually going on the HDD and lauch them from there.

What's the problem with that? What do you mean by "going on the HDD"?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

make the folder with your steam games a library folder and then try to reinstall the game to that library and it should detect all of the files and then you can play them

Edit: this is for steam games

What's the problem with that? What do you mean by "going on the HDD"?

The problem is: it's hard to find each and every game that are in different folders and I need to go in the file browser to find them.

The problem is: it's hard to find each and every game that are in different folders and I need to go in the file browser to find them.

Just drag and drop them to your desktop.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just drag and drop them to your desktop.

I'm gonna try that.

2 minutes ago, CrisisRogue said:

I'm gonna try that.

doesn't work: my games try to connect to the steam client with no success.

doesn't work: my games try to connect to the steam client with no success.

IDK then. Try reinstalling the games and set the install location to your desktop.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, CrisisRogue said:

well , yeah

how else do you expect to make shortcuts without the system knowing where the exe is?

Just now, emosun said:

well , yeah

how else do you expect to make shortcuts without the system knowing where the exe is?

so... did you essentially install an ssd and leave your old windows installation on the 1 tb hdd along with all your game installs? 

because that's a classic case of "time to reinstall all your games". Or else buy an ssd that is large enough for you to clone your old windows installation to it. 

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah... so basically just have to reinstall my games on the HDD without doing anything special? It seems too easy...

2 minutes ago, CrisisRogue said:

It seems too easy...

well these are video games not rocket science. they're meant to be easy.

Just now, emosun said:

well these are video games not rocket science. they're meant to be easy.

ok so I just have to do that... but do I use the steam on my ssd or hdd?

ok so I just have to do that... but do I use the steam on my ssd or hdd?

i dont use steam but from what i know it's just a 3rd party sort of launcher that doesn't require any sort of access speed.

is there a reason you switched to an ssd if you're just going to run all your games off the hdd anyway?

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

i dont use steam but from what i know it's just a 3rd party sort of launcher that doesn't require any sort of access speed.

is there a reason you switched to an ssd if you're just going to run all your games off the hdd anyway?

There is a game that I'll run on my ssd : Destiny 2. I also boughtan ssd for short bootup time.

This happened to me. My steam library was telling me my games weren't installed. You have to re-install your games on your HDD. Delete your old steam library and create a new one in the exact same place or wherever. If it's not steam and the shortcuts just aren't working. Recreate your shortcuts.