Wireless Point To Point Link 5km

lukesterboy

I want to do a Point to Point link wireless probably using Ubiquiti gear, what gear do i need from them. The link is about 5Km (4.2Km as you can see below). I want to get around a 100Mbps link speed, for sharing internet and resources. Since at my current home i only get 8Mbps. At my family members house they get 200Mbps so yeah. Do you think the height will be a difficult thing? Also what is the cheapest i can setup a 100Mbps link for? I was thinking a budget of around £300 all in, just for the Ubiquiti Equipment forget the mounting gear i will add that on top.

image.png.6f87ec72a58cea0ebefe3aa3468a42f0.pngU

I'm guessing this AirMax stuff is goes to be the cheapest for achieving what i want but please do correct me.

image.png.26b4b86062d1d55df0bb17fd8d4cfd54.png

9 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

I want to do a Point to Point link wireless probably using Ubiquiti gear, what gear do i need from them. The link is about 5Km (4.2Km as you can see below). I want to get around a 100Mbps link speed, for sharing internet and resources. Since at my current home i only get 8Mbps. At my family members house they get 200Mbps so yeah. Do you think the height will be a difficult thing? Also what is the cheapest i can setup a 100Mbps link for? I was thinking a budget of around £300 all in, just for the Ubiquiti Equipment forget the mounting gear i will add that on top.

I'm guessing this AirMax stuff is goes to be the cheapest for achieving what i want but please do correct me.

The Nanobeam option would be something to look into if you are looking for a directions system, they do require a direct line of sight without any obstructions. 

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobeam-ac-gen2/

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

The Nanobeam option would be something to look into if you are looking for a directions system, they do require a direct line of sight without any obstructions. 

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobeam-ac-gen2/

Does that include 0 tree line? Or a little bit of tops of some trees might be ok?

12 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Does that include 0 tree line? Or a little bit of tops of some trees might be ok?

Like with any point to point system you want direct line of sight with nothing potentially getting in the way. If you have treeline your going to want to probably pole mount up high so it sees overtop of them. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Like with any point to point system you want direct line of sight with nothing potentially getting in the way. If you have treeline your going to want to probably pole mount up high so it sees overtop of them. 

EHHH, any help on estimating how high the pole what have to be? :P The height difference in terrain alone is 24m xD. And at least 15m of trees at the lower house with the 200Mbps speeds.

Just now, lukesterboy said:

EHHH, any help on estimating how high the pole what have to be? :P The height difference in terrain alone is 24m xD. And at least 15m of trees at the lower house with the 200Mbps speeds.

Your best option would be as high as you possibly can to ensure you don't run into problems of the trees growing in a few years. Height difference in terrain isn't a problem since you can always angle the beam, there is a fair bit of forgiveness when trying to line both the units up. 

At the bottom, under "Access Point" and "Station" you can adjust the height of the mounting at each end. Play around with those numbers to see what the minimum height is. The line on the map will turn orange if the fresnel zone will clip into the ground level (look at the ovals in the height diagram at the top of the page). Note that this doesn't take into account trees, houses, etc - but as long as the fresnel zone is above the ground level, and you have line-of-site, you should be able to get a link.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

You could definitely do with UBNT gear as my above posters have suggested.  If you are looking to do 5Ghz P2P options I would also recommend the newer Mimosa C5c.  It might be slightly over your $300 limit but will offer a connectorized solution with whatever antenna you want to use with it.  If you want to stay with UBNT I would recommend any variant of the PowerBeam AC 400/500 line.  For a cheaper option, I have had great luck with the LightBeam AC line of products.  If you need to punch through trees, I would go with a 2.4 Ghz solution from UBNT.

8 hours ago, synti said:

You could definitely do with UBNT gear as my above posters have suggested.  If you are looking to do 5Ghz P2P options I would also recommend the newer Mimosa C5c.  It might be slightly over your $300 limit but will offer a connectorized solution with whatever antenna you want to use with it.  If you want to stay with UBNT I would recommend any variant of the PowerBeam AC 400/500 line.  For a cheaper option, I have had great luck with the LightBeam AC line of products.  If you need to punch through trees, I would go with a 2.4 Ghz solution from UBNT.

Ok, well £300 is $395 dollars so it don't mind if its a bit over 300$. Ok, well i'm going to get my buddies drone and see what kind of tree line we are dealing with, might have to go with a 2.4Ghz link then. Thanks :)

The wonders of Virgin Media connected streets... I presume???

UBNT is definitely the way to go - You will have to check with local height restrictions ETC...

It may violate their ISP'S terms of service though. Worth checking.

5ghz is prefered over 2.4 but it depends on the tree line as others have said. Powerbeam AC seems like a good potential option.

4 hours ago, JoelS said:

UBNT is definitely the way to go - You will have to check with local height restrictions ETC...

5ghz is prefered over 2.4 but it depends on the tree line as others have said. Powerbeam AC seems like a good potential option.

ISP ToS usually prevents reselling the service, but I don’t think sharing it for free is prevented.

On 11/12/2017 at 1:33 PM, JoelS said:

Sure is :D . 300Mbps soon coming too. Yeh i definitely want some Ubnt equipment. What do you mean local height restrictions? Can you not have poles higher than a certain height? 

Also i won't be used the connection full time, plus its not reselling the connection so i presume it should be ok but i will check anyway.

Well if i can get over the tree's then i will definitely get 5Ghz for that higher bandwidth right? Or if some tree line will be in my way i will go 2.4Ghz.

14 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Sure is :D . 300Mbps soon coming too. Yeh i definitely want some Ubnt equipment. What do you mean local height restrictions? Can you not have poles higher than a certain height? 

Also i won't be used the connection full time, plus its not reselling the connection so i presume it should be ok but i will check anyway.

Well if i can get over the tree's then i will definitely get 5Ghz for that higher bandwidth right? Or if some tree line will be in my way i will go 2.4Ghz.

most cities require you to get a permit before building over a certain height.... as well as a permit for building any permanent structure in general (which a tower falls under)

1 hour ago, brwainer said:

most cities require you to get a permit before building over a certain height.... as well as a permit for building any permanent structure in general (which a tower falls under)

Ahh crap, i see. Even here in the UK?

1 hour ago, lukesterboy said:

Ahh crap, i see. Even here in the UK?

I think so, though freeview aerials are permitted so anything that height would probably be ok. 

I found this:

Satellite,TV and radio antenna

Planning Permission: Houses and buildings up to 15 metres high

Unless your house (or the building in which you live) is in a designated area, you do not need to apply for planning permission to install an antenna on your property, as long as:

• there will be no more than two antennas on the property overall. (These may be on the front or back of the building, on the roof, attached to the chimney, or in the garden);
  • if you are installing a single antenna, it is not more than 100 centimetres in any linear dimension (not including any projecting feed element, reinforcing rim, mounting and brackets);
  • if you are installing two antennas, one is not more than 100 centimetres in any linear dimension, and the other is not more than 60 centimetres in any linear dimension (not including any projecting feed element, reinforcing rim, mounting and brackets);
  • the cubic capacity of each individual antenna is not more than 35 litres;
  • an antenna fitted onto a chimney stack is not more than 60 centimetres in any linear dimension; and
  • an antenna mounted on the roof only sticks out above the roof when there is a chimney-stack. In this case, the antenna should not stick out more than 60 centimetres above the highest part of the roof, or above the highest part of the chimney stack, whichever is lower.

On 11/13/2017 at 8:56 PM, JoelS said:

I think so, though freeview aerials are permitted so anything that height would probably be ok. 

On 11/13/2017 at 9:01 PM, JoelS said:

I found this:

Satellite,TV and radio antenna

Planning Permission: Houses and buildings up to 15 metres high

Unless your house (or the building in which you live) is in a designated area, you do not need to apply for planning permission to install an antenna on your property, as long as:

• there will be no more than two antennas on the property overall. (These may be on the front or back of the building, on the roof, attached to the chimney, or in the garden);
  • if you are installing a single antenna, it is not more than 100 centimetres in any linear dimension (not including any projecting feed element, reinforcing rim, mounting and brackets);
  • if you are installing two antennas, one is not more than 100 centimetres in any linear dimension, and the other is not more than 60 centimetres in any linear dimension (not including any projecting feed element, reinforcing rim, mounting and brackets);
  • the cubic capacity of each individual antenna is not more than 35 litres;
  • an antenna fitted onto a chimney stack is not more than 60 centimetres in any linear dimension; and
  • an antenna mounted on the roof only sticks out above the roof when there is a chimney-stack. In this case, the antenna should not stick out more than 60 centimetres above the highest part of the roof, or above the highest part of the chimney stack, whichever is lower.

Ah ok, thank you for the info. I'm going to borrow my mates drone soon and kind of have a look at what can be done, if we can clear the treeline with a fairly short pole then i'll probably end up mounting some Powerbeam AC gear on each end.

Thank you everyone for your help. If you have anything else extra to add or say just post it here. I'll update this post in a couple months time on if i did it or not and my reasons why. That's if i remember.