Resrvoir Mounting Questions

dju1
Go to solution Solved by AperumDesign,

I assume you're probably referring to Justin's (Metallicacidcustoms) 570X build. I would certainly not call it practical by any means, but it is OK to do if you know what you're doing. The way in which the radiator OUT port and pump IN port are perfectly aligned horizontally is the only reason this is possible. It depends entirely on your loop layout whether or not this would work. Obviously there are plenty of circumstances where this would not be possible. The way that Justin has his loop laid out, coupled with the use of compression fittings it what makes that floating reservoir possible. He did another build in the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv with the same sort of thing, but horizontal. Similarly in a build like this, the reservoir is floating and only attached by the top and bottom fittings passing through the motherboard tray. That's a much safer option since you're mounting directly to fittings rather than a run of tube. All of this is possible, but it could go very wrong if you don't think the design through. There needs to be adequate support or the reservoir could fall off if the case is moved around too much.

Hey everyone!
   I am rebuilding a water cooled pc, except previously, I mounted a reservoir in the corsair 570x with Velcro, which looked a little tacky. I was looking at other water cooled 570x builds when I found a couple where the reservoir was not mounted directly to the case and supported only by the hardline tubing that connected it to other parts. Is this okay and practical to do, without any concerns of the reservoir falling off? Thanks!

I assume you're probably referring to Justin's (Metallicacidcustoms) 570X build. I would certainly not call it practical by any means, but it is OK to do if you know what you're doing. The way in which the radiator OUT port and pump IN port are perfectly aligned horizontally is the only reason this is possible. It depends entirely on your loop layout whether or not this would work. Obviously there are plenty of circumstances where this would not be possible. The way that Justin has his loop laid out, coupled with the use of compression fittings it what makes that floating reservoir possible. He did another build in the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv with the same sort of thing, but horizontal. Similarly in a build like this, the reservoir is floating and only attached by the top and bottom fittings passing through the motherboard tray. That's a much safer option since you're mounting directly to fittings rather than a run of tube. All of this is possible, but it could go very wrong if you don't think the design through. There needs to be adequate support or the reservoir could fall off if the case is moved around too much.

Case Design | CAD | Custom Watercooling Parts | Loop Design | Cable Sleeving and Management 

Fittings Guide  |  Most recent completed build: Glass & Aluminium  |  Current build(s): Project Starscream