HP Proliant ML110 Case Mod MK.2

PeaceWalker93

Hi there! 

A couple of months ago I built this thing out of pure boredom

And had it gathering dust since then. So the other day I went and built a system in it with some old hardware, and realized there were a couple of issues with this thing...

I had an ML115 many years ago (same thing but AMD based rather than Intel based on the 110), was a great system for the money they cost (slightly more than a MicroServer if I recall, but I guess the MicroServer essentially replaced this model). The red looks great! Wish I'd done something like this with it at the time as the silver and black looked quite dull.

As you can see in the pic (sorry for the terrible quality) the graphics card is quite large so I won't be installing a DVD Drive, but that wasn't the main issue.

That would be the fact that the HDD's wouldn't fit at all because they hit the motherboard and was no way to secure them properly 

IMG_20171108_133624.jpg

So back to the drawing board... I went and fully disassembled the thing again and started trying to figure out what to do with the HDD's. Which was pretty easy, i just rotated them 90º so they now face the case door. I had to chop some stuff so the HDD's can go in and out without effort. 

IMG_20171110_121515.jpg

And while I was at it made some more minor mods. I changed the front LED's so power is now red and HDD activity is white (they were green and white before). I also cutted a big piece of the front for better airflow (Also the fan has red LED's and you couldn't see much of them...) as well as the cover for the rear fan which I swapped for a mesh grill.

IMG_20171110_121522.jpg

IMG_20171110_121537.jpg

IMG_20171110_121542.jpg

I also painted a matching 5,25 bay cover, the old drive cage door, some PCI brackets and a Rear I/O plate that I have made so it fit's the gigabyte ebay board I bought that didn't come with one

IMG_20171110_121413.jpg

IMG_20171110_121430.jpg

Thanks! I was quite happy with how it turned out. I also have another of these proliant cases so maybe i'll do something with that one in the future as well, but I still have to figure out the colour scheme.