x AKG K7XX and DAC/AMP

Buffon07

Hello everyone,

Just been browsing around and never put much thought into until recently, but just curious what everyone thinks and what their opinions are regarding the: x AKG K7XX headphones and if they think utilizing a DAC/Amp would be any of any benefit. I only use headphones for my PC (gaming and videos, some editing) and when I travel (infrequent) - Would these be worth the purchase to improve audio quality (being an open back set) and for gaming/video purposes, do you think a external DAC/Amp would be of benefit opposed to the onboard DAC for my motherboard (Asus X99 Krait). My current headphones are Razer Kraken 7.1 (which I do love) just wondering if switching would provide any major changes - no need to go into the "real vs gaming headphone" arguments.

I appreciate everyone's input, again, this is just curiosity and opinions I am seeking and if a DAC/Amp is recommended, what does everyone think would be a good choice? Been eyeballing Schiit (Fulla and Modi 2/Magni 3) 

Thanks again,

15 minutes ago, Buffon07 said:

Hello everyone,

Just been browsing around and never put much thought into until recently, but just curious what everyone thinks and what their opinions are regarding the: x AKG K7XX headphones and if they think utilizing a DAC/Amp would be any of any benefit. I only use headphones for my PC (gaming and videos, some editing) and when I travel (infrequent) - Would these be worth the purchase to improve audio quality (being an open back set) and for gaming/video purposes, do you think a external DAC/Amp would be of benefit opposed to the onboard DAC for my motherboard (Asus X99 Krait). My current headphones are Razer Kraken 7.1 (which I do love) just wondering if switching would provide any major changes - no need to go into the "real vs gaming headphone" arguments.

I appreciate everyone's input, again, this is just curiosity and opinions I am seeking and if a DAC/Amp is recommended, what does everyone think would be a good choice? Been eyeballing Schiit (Fulla and Modi 2/Magni 3) 

Thanks again,

I have those cans along with the Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2, they all work well with it. I have my speakers on an adapter so I can switch between my cans and speakers.  I think The headphones you have are perfect with Schiit, I use them all the time.

CPU: 5900X   MOBO: MSI Tomahawk x570 
MEM: G.Skill 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3600
GPU: Asus tuf oc 3080

May add the other bits of my system later on

A Dac+Amp combo will make those headphones and any other speakers/headphones you have sound a lot better.  You will hear things in a lot more detail you will realise right away the improvements this goes for music, gaming or any other use as well. 

I came from a pair of Kraken 7.1's and went with the Sennheiser HD 558 & XPT 100's for headphones (open back and closed back) and the difference was unreal seeing as the 7XX are a lot nicer then what I have I'm sure you would be very pleased especially with the DAC/AMP your looking at.

If you want a cheaper alterative which still sounds excellent checkout this DAC/AMP: 

https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-Optical-Coaxial-Amplifier/dp/B01HERNVQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510288524&sr=8-1&keywords=fx+audio+dac+x6

I have the FX audio dac/amp and its awesome for a computer desk seeing as its all in one and doesn't take up much space.  I have compared it to my fathers Cambridge audio DAC w/ Denon receiver and pioneer 4way speakers and I could not hear any huge difference.

Also checkout "TIDAL" music streaming for the highest quality audio.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

13 minutes ago, Ninja_Commander said:

I have those cans along with the Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2, they all work well with it. I have my speakers on an adapter so I can switch between my cans and speakers.  I think The headphones you have are perfect with Schiit, I use them all the time.

What adapter do you have your speakers on? 

Thanks for the information and your thoughts 

4 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

A Dac+Amp combo will make those headphones and any other speakers/headphones you have sound a lot better.  You will hear things in a lot more detail you will realise right away the improvements this goes for music, gaming or any other use as well. 

I came from a pair of Kraken 7.1's and went with the Sennheiser HD 558 & XPT 100's for headphones (open back and closed back) and the difference was unreal seeing as the 7XX are a lot nicer then what I have I'm sure you would be very pleased especially with the DAC/AMP your looking at.

If you want a cheaper alterative which still sounds excellent checkout this DAC/AMP: 

https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-Optical-Coaxial-Amplifier/dp/B01HERNVQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510288524&sr=8-1&keywords=fx+audio+dac+x6

I have the FX audio dac/amp and its awesome for a computer desk seeing as its all in one and doesn't take up much space.  I have compared it to my fathers Cambridge audio DAC w/ Denon receiver and pioneer 4way speakers and I could not hear any huge difference.

Also checkout "TIDAL" music streaming for the highest quality audio.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

I appreciate the information, how do you like your combo DAC/Amp, meaning are your still please after X duration, held up well etc. For $65 that isn't too bad compared to spending $200 for the Schiit combo of the modi and magni. 

I personally love the K7XX, every time I get them out I go "oh ya this is why I bought these". They do benefit from a dedicated amp to help fill out the low end. They do not take much power so a Fulla 2 will be plenty. They are super comfortable, among the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried on. You will have a very noticeable improvement over the Razer headset. They will image better and have a larger soundstage than the Razer. 

Now if you have the budget for the K7XX and the Magni2/Modi combo, I would suggest going with the Fulla 2 and the AKG K712 as they will be better than the K7XX. 

8 minutes ago, Buffon07 said:

What adapter do you have your speakers on? 

Thanks for the information and your thoughts 

I just have a simple 3.5 mm to 1/4 inch audio adapter so I can just switch between, Seems to be the best way for me.

Just now, Ninja_Commander said:

I just have a simple 3.5 mm to 1/4 inch audio adapter so I can just switch between, Seems to be the best way for me.

Oh I see what you meant, sorry I misunderstood, thought you meant a switchboard/adapter (mixer style), my bad. 

2 minutes ago, Buffon07 said:

Oh I see what you meant, sorry I misunderstood, thought you meant a switchboard/adapter (mixer style), my bad. 

I wish I could, but no. I don't even have the sound on windows set up to switch between speaker and headphones.

7 minutes ago, Jdnoss1234 said:

I personally love the K7XX, every time I get them out I go "oh ya this is why I bought these". They do benefit from a dedicated amp to help fill out the low end. They do not take much power so a Fulla 2 will be plenty. They are super comfortable, among the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried on. You will have a very noticeable improvement over the Razer headset. They will image better and have a larger soundstage than the Razer. 

Now if you have the budget for the K7XX and the Magni2/Modi combo, I would suggest going with the Fulla 2 and the AKG K712 as they will be better than the K7XX. 

I am seeing a huge price difference in terms of the K712 - Amazon for $280 and AKG website for $500, both appear to be pro editions... I may be missing something there. Given you own the K7XX, how much of an improvement would you be hearing by going with the K712? Mostly looking at the price to performance. If the K7XX will get me there and the amp/dac will help bump the audio, would doing the K712 really be worth the extra? Also, since I am new to DAC/Amp equipment, do AIO like the Fulla have any reduction in what they produce in comparison to doing them separate? 

Just now, Ninja_Commander said:

I wish I could, but no. I don't even have the sound on windows set up to switch between speaker and headphones.

oh damn, yeah, it sucks trying to get the "perfect setup" since it is never complete and always changing. 

7 minutes ago, Buffon07 said:

I am seeing a huge price difference in terms of the K712 - Amazon for $280 and AKG website for $500, both appear to be pro editions... I may be missing something there. Given you own the K7XX, how much of an improvement would you be hearing by going with the K712? Mostly looking at the price to performance. If the K7XX will get me there and the amp/dac will help bump the audio, would doing the K712 really be worth the extra? Also, since I am new to DAC/Amp equipment, do AIO like the Fulla have any reduction in what they produce in comparison to doing them separate? 

For 80 dollars the K712 are worth the upgrade IMO. For me it would be a small jump, which is why I still have the K7XX. The AIO will be more convenient and less things on your desk. The component system will give you a bit more flexibility in some cases. My main headphone amp is a NFB-11.28 which is a combo unit as well. Just a much more expensive one. The Fulla 2 is easily the best DAC/amp combo in its price point and you wont be missing out on anything but a bit of power.  

8 minutes ago, Jdnoss1234 said:

For 80 dollars the K712 are worth the upgrade IMO. For me it would be a small jump, which is why I still have the K7XX. The AIO will be more convenient and less things on your desk. The component system will give you a bit more flexibility in some cases. My main headphone amp is a NFB-11.28 which is a combo unit as well. Just a much more expensive one. The Fulla 2 is easily the best DAC/amp combo in its price point and you wont be missing out on anything but a bit of power.  

I appreciate that input and comparison. Last question for you, if I were to go with the K7XX's as you seem to really enjoy them, would spending that extra $80 ($100 really) for the modi/magni be the better option than saving the $100 and doing the Fulla? I am all for saving if doing the two units doesn't add much that the AIO could do. 

The Fulla 2 is plenty for the K7XX and the Magni would only add headroom for hard to drive headphones like planars. If you don't plan on making headphones your hobby, save the money. 

2 minutes ago, Jdnoss1234 said:

The Fulla 2 is plenty for the K7XX and the Magni would only add headroom for hard to drive headphones like planars. If you don't plan on making headphones your hobby, save the money. 

Much appreciated for the input. I do believe you sold me on the setup to go with. 

26 minutes ago, Buffon07 said:

I appreciate that input and comparison. Last question for you, if I were to go with the K7XX's as you seem to really enjoy them, would spending that extra $80 ($100 really) for the modi/magni be the better option than saving the $100 and doing the Fulla? I am all for saving if doing the two units doesn't add much that the AIO could do. 

Depends. If I want to get into headphones seriously I'd spend the extra. If you just want the K7XX save your cash.

3 hours ago, Buffon07 said:

I appreciate the information, how do you like your combo DAC/Amp, meaning are your still please after X duration, held up well etc. For $65 that isn't too bad compared to spending $200 for the Schiit combo of the modi and magni. 

I have had it for over 8 months so far and it has not failed me once and it has lots of options for use.. I have moved it around to use with my ps4 (optical), computer (usb), TV and laptop which is a nice option to have.   If your looking to "try" an DAC/AMP combo you cant really go wrong for the price.. and you will be able to hear a difference especially listening to a high quality file or directly from a produced CD. If you have the means to get something more expensive go for it I'm sure you would be pleased with any of the other options listed in this thread.