Dell AW3418DW review?

Zenoran

That is a highly debatable topic, the Acer Predator X34 and Asus ROG Swift PG348Q are very good contenders for that title

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

That is a highly debatable topic, the Acer Predator X34 and Asus ROG Swift PG348Q are very good contenders for that title

Yes but this is a 100hz native panel (120 OC) which is a big difference.

It's next gen compared to those 2 year old models. I'm just wondering why no press on it when we see reviews on much crappier monitors. And this is a Dell monitor too which is arguably one of the best monitor manufacturers as far as quality goes! 

But for some reason not worth the effort for a review... Confused.

Just now, Zenoran said:

It's next gen compared to those 2 year old models. I'm just wondering why no press on it when we see reviews on much crappier monitors. And this is a Dell monitor too which is arguably one of the best monitor manufacturers as far as quality goes! 

I don't really buy Dell unless I really can't find a better option personally, I prefer Acer, Asus, or Samsung.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Zenoran said:

100 hz 120 OC is the same that the Z35P can do I believe.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Nope both the Asus and Acer use a 60hz panel which can OC to 100 max but no guarantee of getting that high. They've both had a LOT of returns and quality issues as well from what I've read.

• 2 weeks later...

bumping this. Just found the TFT review, and literally couldn't click the buy button fast enough on dell's website. I've been waiting what seems likes AGES to get 120Hz+ on a 1440p ultrawide. The cream on top is the response time testing from tftcentral. When i saw this thing BEATING my S2716DG in response time (a TN panel for that matter) it was already sold.

Would still be pretty cool to see Linus review one of these bad boys. The fact that its on sale at $999, where the other competitors that have been on the market for a while now have never even seen sub $1000, blows me away. And you get the faster refresh rate. AND you get the faster response time. 

My only regret right now is that i didn't spend the extra $25 for expedited shipping. This also sealed the deal on my long awaited 980ti to 1080ti upgrade. Hopefully the craigslist gods do me good and help me recoup some of this cost when i go to sell my old S2716DG and 980ti. Although i may end up using the S2716DG as a side monitor if the holiday bonus from work is juicy.

It's currently the best you can get when it comes to IPS ultrawides, completely minimal BLB, it's an upgrade in every way to my old PG348Q, the stand is so sturdy you'd swear it's been chiseled from a single piece of metal, it screams quality everywhere the Asus showed signs of cutting corners, it's also a lot more undertstated

1 hour ago, IMI4tth3w said:

My only regret right now is that i didn't spend the extra $25 for expedited shipping.

That doesn't really matter, Dell doesn't actually have them in stock so you'll be waiting a week or so for production before it actually ships, so you'd be paying $25 to simply receive it in 7-9 days at best instead of 9-10 days, you may be able to get free expedited if it stall hasn't arrived by their estimated date at purchase

IMG_20171115_092419.jpg

I actually found a link on the ultrawide reddit at $949! http://deals.dell.com/mpp/productdetail/lws

So naturally i cancelled for $999 order and did a new order at $949. I also added the $25 expedited shipping.. although now with what you are saying that might not have been the best. Oh well, still $25 cheaper than the original sale price i was already happy with. Also ordered a gigabyte Aorus 1080ti waterforce WB to replace my 980ti+ek wb. Can't wait!

7 minutes ago, IMI4tth3w said:

I actually found a link on the ultrawide reddit at $949! http://deals.dell.com/mpp/productdetail/lws

So naturally i cancelled for $999 order and did a new order at $949. I also added the $25 expedited shipping.. although now with what you are saying that might not have been the best. Oh well, still $25 cheaper than the original sale price i was already happy with. Also ordered a gigabyte Aorus 1080ti waterforce WB to replace my 980ti+ek wb. Can't wait!

Cancel it again, sign up for Dell advantage, you'll get the free expedited, for me it was $865 when I ordered because if a 6% off the $999 sale price+$75 cash back, if those extras aren't offered you'll at least get the free expedited

6 minutes ago, lefudgelover666 said:

Cancel it again, sign up for Dell advantage, you'll get the free expedited, for me it was $865 when I ordered because if a 6% off the $999 sale price+$75 cash back, if those extras aren't offered you'll at least get the free expedited

i tried messing around with the dell advantage stuff and couldn't find anywhere to get that deal. I'll just stick with the $949 one. Thanks for the help though

On 11/9/2017 at 7:27 PM, DocSwag said:

Z35P is a VA panel and its been shown to have ghosting issues, the AW3418DW is IPS and doesnt have any of the backlight bleed, ghosting, or overclock issues all the others do

• 4 weeks later...

Another bump - this display deserves reviews.

The ideal sweet spot of panel type, resolution, refresh rate, & response time. Including G-Sync, no less.

Still the only IPS on the market that offers these stats. Still no reviews.

It would probably be more likely to get a response if you post in the review ideas/ suggestions thread. That and maybe tagging people, but don't spam them.

On 12/15/2017 at 1:55 PM, Inkz said:

It would probably be more likely to get a response if you post in the review ideas/ suggestions thread. That and maybe tagging people, but don't spam them.

Thanks for the heads up.