I am planning to pack two NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI low profile cards along with an ASROCK x99E-ITX/AC motherboard inside of my "Phat"  PS3 when I realized that I needed to find a way to where I can cool everything within a small region of space.  So, I decided that the only option is to modify a sff low-profile air cooler and drill holes through the fins (carefully I might add) so that I can route small copper tubes in and out of each of the fins so that not only does it act as an air cooler for the CPU but it will be a water cooler for the two GPUs that are inside.

With that said, I would like to hear what your feedback on this idea I have.  Please by all means, respond. :)

Sounds like an interesting idea, do you really need a dual 1050Ti setup though? At that price I'd just get a 1060 6Gb or 1070...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Sounds like an interesting idea, do you really need a dual 1050Ti setup though? At that price I'd just get a 1060 6Gb or 1070...

Well, in this particular application I forgot to mention that those two GPUs will be the "Heads" or the "Hosts" for my nvidia shield portables (well, two of the shield series anyway. Different gens I mean. :P)  One gpu for the windows 8.1 vm and the other will be for my host os (Ubuntu specifically.)      So, If I wanted to (in any case), I can activate my windows vm and I can start gaming (Not to mention if there are any bad viruses, I can use the snapshot feature that the vm manager has. :P  Take that indian scammers!)   So, virtually no downtime and/or any hassle in the long run.

Plus, it will be part of Project "OM3GA",   and I can explain what that is if you want. :)

33 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

I am planning to pack two NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI low profile cards along with an ASROCK x99E-ITX/AC motherboard inside of my "Phat"  PS3 when I realized that I needed to find a way to where I can cool everything within a small region of space.  So, I decided that the only option is to modify a sff low-profile air cooler and drill holes through the fins (carefully I might add) so that I can route small copper tubes in and out of each of the fins so that not only does it act as an air cooler for the CPU but it will be a water cooler for the two GPUs that are inside.

With that said, I would like to hear what your feedback on this idea I have.  Please by all means, respond. :)

1050ti cant do sli

Just now, shooter2749 said:

1050ti cant do sli

I know that, that's why I am going to pass through one gpu for the vm and one for the hosting os.
Windows Vm and Ubuntu host in otherwords.

If I understood you correctly, you want to mod a CPU heatsink so you can use it directly as a radiator for the GPUs?

I don't know the heatsink we're talking about, but a priori it sounds like, if successful, you would quickly "overload" the heatsink (that is, the three processors combined will generate more heat than it can dissipate in a given amount of time).

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

If I understood you correctly, you want to mod a CPU heatsink so you can use it directly as a radiator for the GPUs?

I don't know the heatsink we're talking about, but a priori it sounds like, if successful, you would quickly "overload" the heatsink (that is, the three processors combined will generate more heat than it can dissipate in a given amount of time).

Correct.

However, that is IF I don't use the right kind of metal.

Copper in that case is a great heat conductor, (that's why 99% of heat sinks have copper vapor chambers instead of aluminum or steel.)

Another factor is the size and dimension of the fins.  If I am using a cpu cooler that has the fins measuring 0.5 tall, 2.6 inches wide and 2.6 long then the heat dissipation will be poor.  And you will be correct on that.  HOWEVER, if I am using something that is bigger than that then the surface area will be more sufficient for cooling both a vapor chamber config and water cooling config simultaneously.