Is it possible?

nivra552

Hi there I was planning on buying the H7 quad lumi from cryorig..I was just wondering if I am able to mount it horizontally on my motherboard without hitting anything??My mobo is a Gigabyte Z170mx gaming 5..thanks for your time Godbless!The case btw is fractal define mini C

The height from motherboard to bottom of the heatsink isn't specified on Cryorigs website, but if I had to guess I'd say it will hit th VRM heatsink

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

You will definitely overhang some RAM slots, and with the fan mounted in its normal positioning you're going to get, at most, 25mm of RAM clearance (pretty sure it'll be less than even that), which will not be enough for any low profile RAM in existence..... so no, this would be a bad idea. mount it the normal way or select a different cooler.

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

You will definitely overhang some RAM slots, and with the fan mounted in its normal positioning you're going to get, at most, 25mm of RAM clearance (pretty sure it'll be less than even that), which will not be enough for any low profile RAM in existence..... so no, this would be a bad idea. mount it the normal way or select a different cooler.

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The height from motherboard to bottom of the heatsink isn't specified on Cryorigs website, but if I had to guess I'd say it will hit th VRM heatsink

I have tried it on the noctua u12s and it does fit but as what you have said it over hangs on the ram slot..but I do only use 2x8gb ram stick...what do you think?

2 minutes ago, nivra552 said:

I have tried it on the noctua u12s and it does fit but as what you have said it over hangs on the ram slot..but I do only use 2x8gb ram stick...what do you think?

the normal width of the quad lumi is 98mm, sideways its 123mm (120mm as far as the fan is concerned). half overhang on each side and you're going to be over your RAM by about 11-12.5mm... pretty sure that would block more than 1 slot. the U12S has 41mm of clearance for RAM so its overhang wouldn't actually interfere with most low profile sticks.... but on the quad lumi you're getting, at best, 25mm.... and every RAM stick I'm aware of is quite a bit taller than that, so its just not going to fit. You might be able to lift the fan and mount it higher (not sure about how that heatsink goes about mounting fans to it), but it'll reduce performance and look goofy even if it works.

18 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

the normal width of the quad lumi is 98mm, sideways its 123mm (120mm as far as the fan is concerned). half overhang on each side and you're going to be over your RAM by about 11-12.5mm... pretty sure that would block more than 1 slot. the U12S has 41mm of clearance for RAM so its overhang wouldn't actually interfere with most low profile sticks.... but on the quad lumi you're getting, at best, 25mm.... and every RAM stick I'm aware of is quite a bit taller than that, so its just not going to fit. You might be able to lift the fan and mount it higher (not sure about how that heatsink goes about mounting fans to it), but it'll reduce performance and look goofy even if it works.

there is extreme low profile DDR3, but idk about DDR4.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

31 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

there is extreme low profile DDR3, but idk about DDR4.

smallest I'm aware of is ~31mm (bare DIMM's with no heatsink), and the distance from the fan to the bottom of the CPU cooler plate is 25mm

Although I suppose I'm not giving this quite enough thought.... anyone know how high off the motherboard the top of the CPU is mounted? and RAM? if the surface of the IHS on the CPU is ~7mm higher than the DIMM slots.... maybe it could work? would be a hella tight fit though and would require the shortest RAM possible.

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

smallest I'm aware of is ~31mm (bare DIMM's with no heatsink), and the distance from the fan to the bottom of the CPU cooler plate is 25mm

Although I suppose I'm not giving this quite enough thought.... anyone know how high off the motherboard the top of the CPU is mounted? and RAM? if the surface of the IHS on the CPU is ~7mm higher than the DIMM slots.... maybe it could work? would be a hella tight fit though and would require the shortest RAM possible.

There don't seem to be any ultra low profile dimms for DDR4. The socket is about ~4mm or so from the motherboard to the top of the metal parts, CPU sticks out maybe one and a half mm beyond that. Haven't actually measured this though so these are just qualified guesses

Builds:

Spoiler