Is the H80i v2 sufficient to cool i7-8700k

After a long wait my i7-8700k finally got shipped and I'm wondering about the cooling?   How close are the cooling requirements to the i7-7700k?    I wanted a 240 aio but I don't think there's room as the case has an exhaust vent on the top but very little clearance from the eighth pin cable and ram on the motherboard.   As I would have to buy a thin 240 radiator and then put the fans on the other side of the air vent and I just don't think it be that efficient because of air leaks.  

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815010

I just purchased a H80i v2 from Newegg.   Would that aio be sufficient for a 4.8ghz oc on all cores?  

It would be, but its a huge waste of money lol.

You could have gotten a dark rock pro 3, which will perform just as well, for $30 less.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Newegg had a special yesterday for $79 with a $10 mail in rebate bringing the total to 69 bucks.  For some reason I hate air coolers,  nothing against him I just don't like the look.  

If I can slip in this thread; @RKRiley , do you think the 8700k doesnt benefit liquid cooling? If it does, what liquid cooler would you reccoment?

Just now, Teddysurf said:

Newegg had a special yesterday for $79 with a $10 mail in rebate bringing the total to 69 bucks.  For some reason I hate air coolers,  nothing against him I just don't like the look.  

*Nothing against "THEM"

Just now, Halazar said:

If I can slip in this thread; @RKRiley , do you think the 8700k doesnt benefit liquid cooling? If it does, what liquid cooler would you reccoment?

It definitely can benefit, most 240mm aio's will cool it quite nicely. H100i, Kraken x61/62's for example.
I just personally don't recommend 120mm aio's as most of the time, a decent air cooler will offer the same performance for the same or slightly cheaper price.

1 minute ago, Teddysurf said:

*Nothing against "THEM"

Had me thinking, how do you know the cooler is a he xD 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, Halazar said:

You're in the same boat as me i'm wondering what the temperatures are like compared to the 7700k?    I'm assuming you're planning on overclocking.

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

It definitely can benefit, most 240mm aio's will cool it quite nicely. H100i, Kraken x61/62's for example.
I just personally don't recommend 120mm aio's as most of the time, a decent air cooler will offer the same performance for the same or slightly cheaper price.

Do you think its worth the risk of, you know, having a liquid cooler? Are the temps much lower?

You're in the same boat as me i'm wondering what the temperatures are like compared to the 7700k?    I'm assuming you're planning on overclocking.

I just want to cool the CPU as much as possible with min risk and max cost efficiency, but yes I could overclock it if the silicon lottery blesses me

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Had me thinking, how do you know the cooler is a he xD 

Because he has a penis ?

The H80i was the only 120mm aio that did a 5ghz oc with a 7700k at under 80c  according to this review.

https://youtu.be/JzmvDEb09W8

4 minutes ago, Halazar said:

Do you think its worth the risk of, you know, having a liquid cooler? Are the temps much lower?

I just want to cool the CPU as much as possible with min risk and max cost efficiency, but yes I could overclock it if the silicon lottery blesses me

Depending on how much you want to spend and how much room you have in the case most 120mm aio's will do within a degree or two of good air cooler.  

6 minutes ago, Halazar said:

Also I had an antech Kuler 620 in my case for 5 years with no problems.

6 minutes ago, Teddysurf said:

Also I had an antech Kuler 620 in my case for 5 years with no problems.

Last thing the cooler master evo 212 is well known for being the best price to performance cooler.   I don't know how it would play out with the 8700k because I don't have one yet and I don't know the temps but if history is any indicator, you should be able to get a very mild overclock with one...

13 minutes ago, Halazar said:

I just want to cool the CPU as much as possible with min risk and max cost efficiency

large air cooler, min risk because it can't leak in the worst case scenario, and it doesn't have a pump that can fail and leave your system unusable

13 minutes ago, Teddysurf said:

The H80i was the only 120mm aio that did a 5ghz oc with a 7700k at under 80c  according to this review

probably had the fans maxed, just be aware it's probably not too friendly on the ears and coffee lake is a fair bit hotter than kaby lake

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, Cyracus said:

large air cooler, min risk because it can't leak in the worst case scenario, and it doesn't have a pump that can fail and leave your system unusable

probably had the fans maxed, just be aware it's probably not too friendly on the ears and coffee lake is a fair bit hotter than kaby lake

I hear you, and honestly noise doesn't really bug me that much as I have on headphones when I'm gaming.  But that's a good point.

1 hour ago, Cyracus said:

I see u use an air cooler aswell... you know that coffe lake is hotter tho, would you still use an air cooler with it?

14 minutes ago, Halazar said:

I see u use an air cooler aswell... you know that coffe lake is hotter tho, would you still use an air cooler with it?

well, I wouldn't get coffee lake xD but yeah, I'd delid and use one of the high end air coolers. I wouldn't rule out a 280mm or 360mm AIO if I could find any that I didn't have to sell my kidney for...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

33 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

well, I wouldn't get coffee lake xD but yeah, I'd delid and use one of the high end air coolers. I wouldn't rule out a 280mm or 360mm AIO if I could find any that I didn't have to sell my kidney for...

I ain't delidding a 550€ cpu lmao I'll see if I can find an AIO. Do you think the risk is negligible?

7 minutes ago, Halazar said:

I ain't delidding a 550€ cpu lmao I'll see if I can find an AIO. Do you think the risk is negligible?

Well it's exceptionally rare to spring a leak, but pumps do fail and it can be a really bad time when they do, not all AIOs are built with quality in mind

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Well it's exceptionally rare to spring a leak, but pumps do fail and it can be a really bad time when they do, not all AIOs are built with quality in mind

Could you point me to quality AIOs? if the price is too high I'll just go with a big ass air cooler

Avoid Bequiet AIO, i had one for one month. 

Pump started to fail and its pretty common.

Problem due to Bequiet not filling the AIO with enought liquid...

You can check youtube for this.

I used two CWC H50 since around 2009-2010. 

From my experience they are reliable but noisier than an Aircooler.

No leak, no pump failure, no problem for now.

And one of those AIO is running almost 24/7 since 2011.

So i would say, corsair AIO are reliable.

Personally unless you have a clearance issue or a windowed case.

Stick to air cooler that are cheaper and perform better.

I rock an Noctua NH-D15 with 3 fans on it ( noctua supply free set of fan clip)

I got less noise and better performance for cheaper than my Bequiet silent loop 280.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

14 minutes ago, Halazar said:

Could you point me to quality AIOs? if the price is too high I'll just go with a big ass air cooler

Honestly I can only tell you what air coolers are good based on the last time I looked at coolers, never looked too hard at any specific AIOs though. Typically hear good things about nzxt and thermaltake, heard good about Fractal design, corsair is kinda a mixed bag... wanna say evga but that might just be my brain crossing wires since they're super cool about custom loop cooling with their cards... 

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Halazar said:

What's your budget?    Though, I don't know what the exchange rate is.   Also there's got to be a programmed that would alert you if your computer goes above a certain temperature that would run in the background, right?  

2 hours ago, Halazar said:

The 240 aio's I was looking into before I figured out they wouldn't fit in my case where.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/leo-waldock/fractal-design-celsius-s24-240mm-liquid-cooler-aluminium-radiator/

https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Durable-High-Performance-Adjustable-Cooling/dp/B00U8IS8F8

https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-FD-WCU-CELSIUS-S24-BK-Cooler/dp/B0719DHG5Y?tag=bom_tomshardware-20&ascsubtag=THUS65471509561871614&SubscriptionId=AKIAJLYKPRLXUSF4GDIQ&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF3GA2042

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013WAY9UQ/?tag=pcpapi-20&th=1

The Cryorg A40 Ultimate gives the best cooling performance and the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 240 gives the best performance per dollar.  CRYORIG A40 Ultimate has a 6 year warranty (at least in the USA).  

On 11/6/2017 at 2:25 PM, Halazar said:

Don't worry too much about a leak because from my experience if your AIO does leak, usually the manufacturer will replace the components affected. That has actually happened to me, my NZXT aio leaked and managed to break my GPU but they replaced it and the aio.