Audio interferences

hydad

Hello,

I've been having an audio interference issue with both USB and audio jacks ports. Using USB soundcard (Creative Omni Sound Blaster Surround 5.1) my microphone seems to pick up some random noise from the computer. If I use the 3.5mm audio jacks, the output sounds will be played through microphone (basically other persons will hear what I hear too). I can't use my monitor speakers while playing either because I will get a squeaky sound like a GPU coil whine.

I had these problems with two different builds, mounted in the same case and PSU, basically I changed my motherboard, CPU, GPU.

I am at a loss to figure out where the issue comes from, if you guys have any idea it would be much appreciated. I tried using different headsets and microphones, but it didn't help. Plugging the PC into another plug in the room didn't help either.

Thanks in advance for helping me out, sorry if I made any english mistakes.

Spoiler

System specs

Motherboard : MSI Z170A Gaming M5 ; BIOS : 1E.0

CPU : i7-6700k overclocked to 4.5GHz with be quiet! Dark Rock 3 cooler

RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz (2x8GB), using motherboard XMP profile

GPU : KFA2 GTX 1080 EXOC

PSU : Seasonic G-550W Gold

Wi-Fi card : Asus PCE-AC68

SSD : Samsung Evo 750 250GB

HDD : Samsung SpinPoint F3, 1To

Case : Fractal Design Define S

Headset : Steelseries Siberia v3, microphone is Aukey GD-G1

USB Soundcard : Creative Omni Sound Blaster Surround 5.1

Sound issues can stem from bad grounding. Is your computer grounded via an outlet? If not you may want to try and ground it and test that.

Otherwise the PSU might be the culprit. Try to change that too.

Hello, I'm not exactly sure what grounded means, nor how do you achieve proper grounding. I've tried looking into that before, but I got quite confused. My PC is plugged into a "surge protected" outlet, which is plugged into the wall socket that has the "Neutral" pin. (not sure if that makes any sense to you)

Otherwise, I may as well contact Seasonic to get a possible RMA I suppose?

Try not using your USB soundcard, try using your onboard, see what happens.

If you can't find anything check anything to do with ground, so check your PSU to see if it's plugged in correctly, if it's making proper contact with the case, if you have your mobo properly screwed in to the case, etc etc.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

Where are you from? so i can point out what socket i mean.

Grounded means that besides the power in (fase and neutral) everything metal you can touch is connected to the ground. Not only does that protect you from getting zapped when something is wrong. But also reduces interference in your system.

ps. Quote someone if you want them to reply, that way you get a notify.

5 minutes ago, hydad said:

Hello, I'm not exactly sure what grounded means, nor how do you achieve proper grounding. I've tried looking into that before, but I got quite confused. My PC is plugged into a "surge protected" outlet, which is plugged into the wall socket that has the "Neutral" pin. (not sure if that makes any sense to you)

Otherwise, I may as well contact Seasonic to get a possible RMA I suppose?

The ground is usually a third pin, on the EU one it's the one that's on top of a triangle of pins.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

3 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

Try not using your USB soundcard, try using your onboard, see what happens.

Hello, not sure if I made it clear, but unplugging the USB Soundcard and using motherboard jacks (whether it's front panel or rear panel) creates a "loop" issue where you the microphone sometimes picks up the sound that I can hear (On Discord for example, people would hear themselves, like if I had Audio Mix on or something along these lines)

5 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

If you can't find anything check anything to do with ground, so check your PSU to see if it's plugged in correctly, if it's making proper contact with the case, if you have your mobo properly screwed in to the case, etc etc.

All right, I will check that asap, thank you.

3 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Where are you from? so i can point out what socket i mean.

Grounded means that besides the power in (fase and neutral) everything metal you can touch is connected to the ground. Not only does that protect you from getting zapped when something is wrong. But also reduces interference in your system.

ps. Quote someone if you want them to reply, that way you get a notify.

I'm from France, the socket (or plug?) is basically this

The extended pin in the neutral pin if I'm correct. The PC should be grounded as far as I understand how it works, but as ibabyslapper said I will check everything again

2 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

on the EU one it's the one that's on top of a triangle of pins.

We in the EU, not you british blokes, don't have triangle pins sockets...

Stekker-met-extra-gat.jpg.144d184051f0bc57f4f4f5a1e8b8786e.jpg

The pins provide the power, the metal "clips" on the oposite sides are the ground wire.

The extended pin is the ground pin. Whatever you can touch metal wise will be the ground (normaly :D )

You tried it without the surge protector?

Just now, Dujith said:

The extended pin is the ground pin. Whatever you can touch metal wise will be the ground (normaly :D )

You tried it without the surge protector?

All right! Yeah, I did plug the PC onto a seperate plug by itself, and it made no difference.

4 minutes ago, hydad said:

Hello, not sure if I made it clear, but unplugging the USB Soundcard and using motherboard jacks (whether it's front panel or rear panel) creates a "loop" issue where you the microphone sometimes picks up the sound that I can hear (On Discord for example, people would hear themselves, like if I had Audio Mix on or something along these lines)

I had this problem once, my boom mic was picking up the sound from my headphones. Maybe try turning on echo-cancellation will help? Most realtek chip mobos will have this.

13 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

I had this problem once, my boom mic was picking up the sound from my headphones. Maybe try turning on echo-cancellation will help? Most realtek chip mobos will have this.

I went through disabling/enabling every possible "feature", it didn't help :/ however, my stand-alone Aukey microphone won't be powered properly by the onboard sound so I could only use my headset microphone there.

I checked the build, it seems alright to me, everything looks screwed in properly...

7 minutes ago, hydad said:

I went through disabling/enabling every possible "feature", it didn't help :/ however, my stand-alone Aukey microphone won't be powered properly by the onboard sound so I could only use my headset microphone there.

I checked the build, it seems alright to me, everything looks screwed in properly...

did you figure out if your psu was grounded at all? It needs three pins connected to the surge protector

Just now, ibabyslapper said:

did you figure out if your psu was grounded at all? It needs three pins connected to the surge protector

Both the PSU plug and the surge protector plug have the three pins, so I supppose it is grounded ?

Okay, and I assume the surge protector itself is grounded?

If it is, it's probably(tm) your PSU. Which is pretty unlucky because seasonic PSUs are good.

Just now, ibabyslapper said:

Okay, and I assume the surge protector itself is grounded?

If it is, it's probably(tm) your PSU. Which is pretty unlucky because seasonic PSUs are good.

Well, to my understanding it is grounded. Three pins everywhere.

If it is the PSU, which I understood that as you said, Seasonic is among the best, the audio loop issue with the motherboard looks quite weird...

8 minutes ago, hydad said:

Well, to my understanding it is grounded. Three pins everywhere.

If it is the PSU, which I understood that as you said, Seasonic is among the best, the audio loop issue with the motherboard looks quite weird...

Yeah, get a replacement PSU, which might fix your problem. If it isn't it's probably the mobo.

If you still have the problem after that, your house might have shitty wiring.

3 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

Yeah, get a replacement PSU, which might fix your problem. If it isn't it's probably the mobo.

If you still have the problem after that, your house might have shitty wiring.

All right, will look into that, thank you for your help! :)