Networking or linux

TechMan2175
Go to solution Solved by Jon Jon,
7 minutes ago, TechMan2175 said:

just as a hobby and the linux based server sounds like a good idea

As other have suggested, why not both?

Find a purpose for your Linux Server (maybe a Minecraft server, since that is pretty streamlined IIRC), and then pick up a nice network primer book that goes into the history of networking, and gets down to TCP/IP and the whole OSI model.

As you buildout and manage your server, you will learn to understand the application requirements (ports, TCP/UDP Traffic, direction, etc) along with how to manage the server as a whole.

So, when you build your server, build it for something that you can both enjoy the resulting product, and will give you great hands on experience as well.

Also, doing this in Virtualbox on your existing PC will net you some virtualization experience as well, on the freebie scale :)

What should I learn first I will learn them both at some point but what should I start with.

Main rig                             I also got some cheep lg phone and a chromebook, witch I have been known to mine bitcoin on sometimes

CPU: R5 2400g                        

RAM: 8gb ram

MOBO: msi b350 pc mate 

CASE: Eclipse p300

PSU: 500w corsair

It really depends on what you are wanting to do.

Is this for a career, or for a hobby? 

If it is for a career, what sort of job are you looking at getting into?

If this is for a hobby, what sort of challenges are you looking for in this hobby?

Build a linux based server of some sorts. That will make you learn both at the same time. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

4 hours ago, Imabigmac said:

Build a linux based server of some sorts. That will make you learn both at the same time. 

That entirely depends on what type of server.

For a lot of servers you only need to know how to set an IP and you will be fine.

OP I recommend networking first. Look up some CCNA studying material and it should give you a solid base.

Main rig                             I also got some cheep lg phone and a chromebook, witch I have been known to mine bitcoin on sometimes

7 minutes ago, TechMan2175 said:

Find a purpose for your Linux Server (maybe a Minecraft server, since that is pretty streamlined IIRC), and then pick up a nice network primer book that goes into the history of networking, and gets down to TCP/IP and the whole OSI model.

As you buildout and manage your server, you will learn to understand the application requirements (ports, TCP/UDP Traffic, direction, etc) along with how to manage the server as a whole.

So, when you build your server, build it for something that you can both enjoy the resulting product, and will give you great hands on experience as well.

Also, doing this in Virtualbox on your existing PC will net you some virtualization experience as well, on the freebie scale :)

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

44 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

thanks this is a big help