Pfsense WebGUI problem

Carcarjg
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,

If it always stop working after the initial setup then you are configuring something during the setup wrongly. I don't know what the current pfsense looks li,e but do you by any chance configure something related to the firewall rules, or HTTP/HTTPS during the setup?

Edit: What exactly does the browser say when you try to connect?

Have you tried with a different browser?

So I just did the startup wizard for pfsense hit the reload button then go to web configurator and now it says it cant connect to it so I try to ping it.....it comes back successful. What could be the issue?

Things I've tried.

1)powering off then on the VM

2)restarting the modem

3)reset it(was able to get to the wizard and set it up again then it did the same as before)

4)testing the configuration on another machine (worked)

Please help I need the VM back online quick.

Thanks

----------------------------------------

System INFO

Server: Dell PE 2950(laugh all you want its nose and a power monster...but it cost $100...)

How are the interfaces configured? Are you on the same network as the "LAN" interface of your pfSense box?

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

6 minutes ago, Just.Oblivious said:

How are the interfaces configured? Are you on the same network as the "LAN" interface of your pfSense box?

Em0-WAN-cable connected to wall and controller network for ESXi

EM1-LAN-cable connected to the physical switch and virtual switch.

And yes I am on the same network.

I've tried to get in from both WAN and LAN sides.

Do you have nmap installed? Try scanning the internal IP of your pfSense box to see what services are listening.

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

it's showing up as it should but still no connection to the webGui

So port 80 shows up as listening, but you get no response from the web GUI? 

What about ssh, does that work?

Try pinging your own machine from the pfSense console, does that work?

Still no Gui

13 hours ago, Just.Oblivious said:

Try pinging your own machine from the pfSense console, does that work?

Just so that we are clear, you can not SSH into it, nor can you reach it through HTTP or HTTPS? It only responds to ping? Does telnet work?

If it doesn't then it sounds like you might have locked yourself out. It was a VM right? Remote desktop to it and see if you can reach it from there. If you can't then you will probably have to reinstall it.

I've tried reinstalling the VM 7 times the same thing happens. I've also tried getting a new ISO to install from.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Just so that we are clear, you can not SSH into it, nor can you reach it through HTTP or HTTPS? It only responds to ping? Does telnet work?

If it doesn't then it sounds like you might have locked yourself out. It was a VM right? Remote desktop to it and see if you can reach it from there. If you can't then you will probably have to reinstall it.

Update: Still no response after 12VM reinstalls and 35pfsense reinstalls and a network change.

If it always stop working after the initial setup then you are configuring something during the setup wrongly. I don't know what the current pfsense looks li,e but do you by any chance configure something related to the firewall rules, or HTTP/HTTPS during the setup?

Edit: What exactly does the browser say when you try to connect?

Have you tried with a different browser?

3 hours ago, Carcarjg said:

Well back to youtube for more tutorials......

Goto console on the VM, goto shell (option 8 i think?)

Type;    pfctl -d

This will disable the firewall filtering.

Then try access the WebGUI on the WAN or LAN IP depending on which perimeter network you are going in from.  ANY changes to the rules will re-enable the firewall filter

If you are still having trouble with the GUI, sometimes it can be a PHP-FPM issue which can be restarted from the console, I just can't remember which number it is... maybe 11? not had to use it in some time.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

• 5 months later...

Type; pfctl -d 

Disabling firewall did the job for me.
@Falconevo But is there any consequences of disabling firewall in production environment?

3 hours ago, Uzair Ali said:

Disabling firewall did the job for me.
@Falconevo But is there any consequences of disabling firewall in production environment?

A brief drop of all packet filtering/blocking of any normally blocked traffic will be let through.  In addition any NAT configuration you have will also be temporarily disabled so use in production with caution.  I would only do this to create yourself a firewall rule to allow the access you need then save the rules, saving the rules will reload the filter and re-enable the firewall.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply