RGB. Yay? or Nay?

13 minutes ago, Ninjaolsson said:

Thanks. The bulbs are actually LED. Unfortunately I don’t really have anymore room to add more. (Not enough mounting space or cable management space)

you could put one mounted to the exhaust fan on the back mounted horizontally

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Just now, Thermosman said:

you could put one mounted to the exhaust fan on the back mounted horizontally

I don't see how that's possible.

2 minutes ago, Ninjaolsson said:

Probably. But they don't cost 9 USD.

So you need the 12V version for the fan header.

Just now, heimdali said:

So you need the 12V version for the fan header.

I'm fine just leaving Afterburner open on my third monitor.

1 minute ago, Thermosman said:

it would have to be a custom mount

Like ziptieing it to a fan grid?

1 minute ago, Ninjaolsson said:

I'm fine just leaving Afterburner open on my third monitor.

but it would be even more steampunkish if they were glowing bright and low with changing temperatures ...

1 minute ago, heimdali said:

but it would be even more steampunkish if they were glowing bright and low with changing temperatures ...

Maybe someday

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy13 said:

I love the LED light bulbs, Its unique and looks really nice. I feel like the RGB does distract from the bulbs though, and makes them look a bit out of place, which is a shame because they are really nice.

What I would suggest, instead of outright removing the RGB, I would position the strips so that they are more accent lighting, So you cant see the LEDs them self, Just the colored light, maybe behind the motherboard tray, that kind of thing.

If you you look at the motherboard RGB, it isn't too distracting and if anything emphasizes the LED Bulbs which is really nice. I think though, the strips are a little too much being visible and all.

Something like this?

503DBDC2-0D47-4393-A25D-163CC536BCBB.jpeg

Just now, Ninjaolsson said:

Maybe someday

Lol, now I´m glad that I didn´t put lights into a case yet, though I thought about it recently:  It would bother me if they weren´t changing with temperature, and I´d just have to find a way ... :)

1 minute ago, heimdali said:

needs to be more reddish

Which one? (I can only change those two strips to specific colors since they’re being controlled by the case’s controller) 

Yellow, Red, or Green?

I could do white as well, but that doesn’t look good. 

28844578-6B16-40A7-AC1B-CDE8ACA9DC24.jpeg

5742E21E-06BE-44BB-AC89-B7AB3E933E94.jpeg

59E5E42E-F151-43C8-8FF6-56E36A473BBB.jpeg

More like the first one.  The LEDs make a nice warm reddish light, and any other colour bites that.  I would think like darker in as much as the same colour as the LEDs as you can get. Like it would look like "ambient light" created by the LEDs, but since that gets swallowed by black, some extra would be awesome.  When you have that, the green on the graphics card will probably bite, but a black sticker/cover would fix that.

11 minutes ago, heimdali said:

More like the first one.  The LEDs make a nice warm reddish light, and any other colour bites that.  I would think like darker in as much as the same colour as the LEDs as you can get. Like it would look like "ambient light" created by the LEDs, but since that gets swallowed by black, some extra would be awesome.  When you have that, the green on the graphics card will probably bite, but a black sticker/cover would fix that.

I'd have to get a different controller for the LEDs in order to dim them (I only have 5 colors including white and on or off). The graphics card is fully controllable (I currently have it set to the temperature of the GPU). 

12 minutes ago, Ninjaolsson said:

I'd have to get a different controller for the LEDs in order to dim them (I only have 5 colors including white and on or off). The graphics card is fully controllable (I currently have it set to the temperature of the GPU). 

Cool, you could make the card red.  That would go nicely with the other red things, and red goes well with the warm reddish light.  It´s very also very nice in blue already.

Hm, can you take out some of the LED strips?  That might be easier than dimming them.

had to post this:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-uni-holder-ddc-spider-140mm-fan

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-uni-holder-ddc-spider-120mm-fan

you could use these to mount the lightbulb

On 11/5/2017 at 5:22 PM, heimdali said:

Like ziptieing it to a fan grid?

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

32 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

These URLs take you to an error page.

BTW, I looked for such light bulbs last time I was shopping, and indeed they have found their ways into the store.  They cost EUR 7.99 there.

Just now, heimdali said:

BTW, I looked for such light bulbs last time I was shopping, and indeed they have found their ways into the store.  They cost EUR 7.99 there.

error page?

take a screenshot, they work for me

1 hour ago, heimdali said:

It's possible that EK Water Blocks has a different website for Germany. Maybe try googleing EK Water Blocks "EK-UNI Holder DDC Spider". 

That seems in range for the prices here. I got the bulbs from Lowes for around 10 USD but amazon sells them at around 12-16 USD depending on the model. 

The main reason that I went with the LED bulbs rather than incandescent is heat. I actually prefer the look of the classic incandescent bulbs better but they use more electricity and produce significantly more heat (which I don't need with a 7700K and a 1080Ti).

They have outlawed non-energy saving bulbs here quite a while ago --- now all the bulbs you can get are very expensive.  I like flourescent lights, though, which is probably weird, and you can even get a whole light cheaper than one of those bulbs.

That holder might block the airflow quite a bit.  I´ve found the wire they use to hold network cables and the like together very useful for holding fans and stuff.  It´s flexible, doesn´t get in the way, can be reused quite a few times and doesn´t cost anything extra :)  You only need to be careful not to use it where it could cause a short, so I probably won´t use it for those light bulbs.