Pc causing power outage

Zuzi
Go to solution Solved by Unimportant,
7 minutes ago, Zuzi said:

I read it could be the PSU or earth leakage.Do you have a hint or solution for my problem.

What trips? The RCD or a normal breaker? In the first case it's a earth leak, in the latter case a short circuit, almost certainly inside the power supply.

Try connecting only the power supply (Totally disconnected from the PC) to the mains outlet (With the switch on the back in the ON position), if it still trips then your PSU's a goner.

I recently built by new and 1st PC obviously I have some issues with it.I had no problem installing Windows 10 and downloading all the necessary drivers for my hardware.I had some minor issues like my fan led didn't light up.So I asked this forum and i quickly got a helpful answer I forgot to plug in my SATA power connector.I turned off my PC and switched the switch on my PSU and then i plugged my computer out.I connected my SATA cable to my fan LEDs and plugged my PC back in.As I turn on the PSU my PC causes a power outage I disconnect the SATA power cable and try again and another power outage is caused by my computer.After the second outage, I sat down and rebuild my PC from scratch to make sure that everything is properly connected.I connected the PC turn on the PSU and yet again, a power outage.I don't know what to do. I read it could be the PSU or earth leakage.Do you have a hint or solution for my problem.I just can't understand how can a system work fine before and now cause such problem.I really appreciate any help I can get. 

Sounds like a direct short to ground. 

Can you try a different PSU (maybe a friend's)?

7 minutes ago, Zuzi said:

I read it could be the PSU or earth leakage.Do you have a hint or solution for my problem.

What trips? The RCD or a normal breaker? In the first case it's a earth leak, in the latter case a short circuit, almost certainly inside the power supply.

Try connecting only the power supply (Totally disconnected from the PC) to the mains outlet (With the switch on the back in the ON position), if it still trips then your PSU's a goner.

Getting a new PSU is now problem its just strange because the PSU is completely new and it was not a cheap one.

I don't know what you mean by RCD or normal breaker but I have breaker build into my house so I don't know which is which

sadly I don't have a multimeter is there is any other way to test this 

3 minutes ago, Zuzi said:

sadly I don't have a multimeter is there is any other way to test this 

Yes, as already said:

i don't think the PSU will turn on if it isn't connected to anything else but the outlet

9 minutes ago, Zuzi said:

i don't think the PSU will turn on if it isn't connected to anything else but the outlet

Any problem tripping either the breaker or RCD should be on the primary side of the PSU. Besides passive parts such as EMI filters, much of the primary is active even with the PC turned off (or no PC connected at all), in order to generate +5VSB.

In short, if there's a serious problem with the PSU the breaker/RCD will trip simply by plugging it in (with the button on the back in the ON position, ofcourse), thus it is a good test. If it still trips without anything connected to the PC there's a serious defect on the primary.

Thank you for all your help but I don't think this will be so easy I will test my PSU as soon as I have the time to do so if the PSU is the only problem this will be a piece of cake ,if not...i have some long night ahead of me