ram for x99 build

4 minutes ago, crazednecro said:

hi guys im building a x99 rig and looking for ram.cpu is a 5960x iv been looking at the g skill trident z 32GB 4X8GB Quad Channel DDR4 3200MHz.

the price on these are sky high at the min is there anything else i should look at or just bite the bullet and get them. 

The standard non "gaming" memory is cheaper. 

Did you already buy this CPU/Motherboard? Also what is this for?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Unless you're pairing it with an Asus board, or don't have other RGB software installed, I would avoid it.

You can only use the first iteration of the RGB software for it that brings x99 support, the later .22 release is horribly broken.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

iv got the asus deluxe mobo.not purchased the cpu yet.setup will be used for light gaming and light video/picture editing and want to get into overclocking abit.i no the x99 platform is old but from what im using now its gonna be a big step for me.i have  240 and a 360 ek rads plus a mono block ready for this build.just looking at ram prices and its shocking lol.

17 minutes ago, crazednecro said:

iv got the asus deluxe mobo.not purchased the cpu yet.setup will be used for light gaming and light video/picture editing and want to get into overclocking abit.i no the x99 platform is old but from what im using now its gonna be a big step for me.i have  240 and a 360 ek rads plus a mono block ready for this build.just looking at ram prices and its shocking lol.

I bought a 64GB (8x8) kit a year and a half ago for my x99 system, $289 from newegg. Today, the same kit, ~$750

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 11/5/2017 at 1:17 PM, crazednecro said:

Don't feel bad. X299 provides very few improvements over X99.

If you can find a G.Skill 4x8 3200 c14-14-14-34-2T kit, that would be optimal, but the kit you have selected is great too.

One of the easier ways to spot Samsung B-die ICs within these kits is to look for flat primaries within their rated timings.  For example, 14-14-14, 15-15-15, and 16-16-16 are all B-die sticks within the G.Skill Trident Z product line.   That's not to say that there aren't other kits with non-matching primaries aren't also Samsung B-die.  It's just a easier way to spot a few right off the bat.