Insyde H20 BIOS has problems with accessing data

themctipers

has problems accessing data from SSD and USB.

cannot install a OS without the installation failing because it can't write the data to a good, working SSD.

Cannot boot from the SSD if it contained a working install of a OS

Cannot boot into live linux without it fucking up during bootup

Tried using different SSDs, different USBs, different USB ports, this BIOS is just a piece of shit..

eMachines eM355

stock configration, but using a Intel 520 240GB SSD.

version '3.5'

tried:

Windows 7 64bit

Windows 10 64bit

CloudReady

BunsenLabs 64bit

BunsenLabs 32bit nonPAE

Xubuntu 64bit

stock bios configuration. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Just Wags said:

Have you tried different sata cables, or ports?

This is a laptop. One drive slot only. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

This is a laptop. One drive slot only. 

I am assuming with this being a laptop it has a ribbon cable connecting the drive to the motherboard? If so, a common problem for laptops is those cables will break, especially if they somehow end up out of position. With the laptop being so old you may run into issues finding them to try and troubleshoot that issue.

1 minute ago, Just Wags said:

I am assuming with this being a laptop it has a ribbon cable connecting the drive to the motherboard? If so, a common problem for laptops is those cables will break, especially if they somehow end up out of position. With the laptop being so old you may run into issues finding them to try and troubleshoot that issue.

no ribbon cable. soldered to the motherboard. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

no ribbon cable. soldered to the motherboard. 

are the solder points good, are there any hairline cracks visible?

5 minutes ago, Just Wags said:

are the solder points good, are there any hairline cracks visible?

Absolutely no idea;

D5B52AA0-DC8B-4F14-A439-66F7A3D3E455.jpeg

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

There is nothing visible that I see, but that doesn't say much because unfortunately it is extremely difficult to see a soldering point even in the best of photos. Best bet is to get a magnifying glass (if possible), or get up close and personal to see if there is any "odd men out"

There is nothing visible that I see, but that doesn't say much because unfortunately it is extremely difficult to see a soldering point even in the best of photos. Best bet is to get a magnifying glass (if possible), or get up close and personal to see if there is any "odd men out"

just pray that isn't broken as i can't solder, and if i could it would be a kid with a blowtorch 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I hope that that isn't the case as well. Soldering a small computer component like that is almost impossible. If it is you could always try doing it the LTT way, highly recommended against due to the significant risk factor, plus this is a mobo not a GPU. I would imagine if you get it to hot, capacitors and such may burst. 

I hope that that isn't the case as well. Soldering a small computer component like that is almost impossible. If it is you could always try doing it the LTT way, highly recommended against due to the significant risk factor, plus this is a mobo not a GPU. I would imagine if you get it to hot, capacitors and such may burst. 

if it's not a easy hardware/software fix i'm not touching it.

it's a atom laptop.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

if it's not a easy hardware/software fix i'm not touching it.

it's a atom laptop.

Yeah, I don't blame you. You could try getting a used motherboard, but that does not account for the factor of there may be something else at play.

1 minute ago, Just Wags said:

Yeah, I don't blame you. You could try getting a used motherboard, but that does not account for the factor of there may be something else at play.

i would rather buy a battery for my completely working lenovo 300 n100 for $20, than try to buy a new piece of thing for a atom laptop.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.