RDP not working only on one specific network

so i use RDP at school to have a somewhat decent pc to work on (school pc's are crap, yet internet fast enough). but recently our school has had some "upgrades" in the network infrastructure (new switches as i understood). and after this "upgrade" i kept getting the message: 'An Internal Error Has Occured'. from my RDP client. yet only when i was connected with the school network (both wifi and cable). when i used my phone on the school wifi, it didnt work either, but when i set my phone to 3G it worked flawlessly. so my question is this: is there any way i can fix this behaviour on the school network. because for school i need some productivity done as well, so i basically cant do anything without RDP.

another weird thing is that the RDP client does detect if my pc is turned on or not, if it is turned off, i get the message that no connection was available because either my computer wasnt turned on or RDP wasnt enabled. afterwards i tried pinging my pc as well with no success.

what made it even weirder for me was that my VisualSVN Server was working no problems, even though this is the same PC on the same external IP.

so no RDP, no ping, but an SVN server seems to be no problem

and on other networks the RDP and SVN both work fine

so if anyone knows a fix for this, please let me know

thanks in advance,

Gameking002

wait, the no ping can be explained because i pinged the external ip only, not the port that gets redirected to my workstation.

scrap the no ping part :)

i could check with system admin, but to my understanding only switchboxes got updated...

worth a shot though

did some more testing on the school network and found that the ports could be discovered as opened or closed, as a ping doesnt ping a port. the ports show as to be opened, which is odd, because if the ports are opened from the school network to my pc, there should be no firewall in between to block it, it just looks like every time when a remote session is about to be created, it gets terminated before it can even show any kind of login/credentials screen.

15 minutes ago, Gameking002 said:

did some more testing on the school network and found that the ports could be discovered as opened or closed, as a ping doesnt ping a port. the ports show as to be opened, which is odd, because if the ports are opened from the school network to my pc, there should be no firewall in between to block it, it just looks like every time when a remote session is about to be created, it gets terminated before it can even show any kind of login/credentials screen.

try rdp set to slowest speed since 3g was able to work

then since it is a school i would suggest talking with the admins to get this setup as switches will packet filter

quick ?

what rdp client are you using windows or other(there was recently exploits found in teamviewer and several other third party rdp apps)

Change your RDP port to something like 80, 53, or 443 and see if you can connect that way. If you can, then it's a firewall blocking 3389. I personally never use 3389 because of the bots out there scanning for it.

-KuJoe