4k playback NAS

pomkon

the nas would sit with the Wifi router and TV. Someone suggested QNAP TS-251A would be enough for local 4k playback. However it does not have hevc, and many 4k videos are HEVC. What is the minimum that I should get?

Get a streaming device (apple TV/firestick/chromecast) that does HEVC so the NAS don't have to handle transcoding. Then you can get even the cheapest NAS available. I'm not saying you should get the cheapest NAS, but then it does not mater that much for streaming. The NAS should only serve the file to the device via DLNA/PLEX or other, and the device will decode the movie.

I built my own with an old i5-2500k and a few drives hodgepodged together, threw unraid onto a USB stick, and then loaded up the Plex plugin. I have Enders Game in 4k and it worked really well. It is super easy, can be as cheap or as expensive as you want, and can be parity protected, so recovery can be pretty easy (assuming you have reliable drives installed).

Gaming Desktop: ASRock Phantom Gaming X, R9-3900x, 64GB RAM, 1.5TB SSD

NAS Box: Gigabyte Z97, i5-4690, 32GB RAM, 22TB, 1TB SSD Cache.

6 minutes ago, Spaceman20 said:

Get a streaming device (apple TV/firestick/chromecast) that does HEVC so the NAS don't have to handle transcoding. Then you can get even the cheapest NAS available. I'm not saying you should get the cheapest NAS, but then it does not mater that much for streaming. The NAS should only serve the file to the device via DLNA/PLEX or other, and the device will decode the movie.

I have also considered getting evpad pro 4k because the smart tv apps & UI speed are slow & somewhat limited.

Suppose i have both evpad & 251A, what is the setup?

tv - hdmi - evpad - lan - qnap - lan - Router ???

8 minutes ago, Jaxder said:

I built my own with an old i5-2500k and a few drives hodgepodged together, threw unraid onto a USB stick, and then loaded up the Plex plugin. I have Enders Game in 4k and it worked really well. It is super easy, can be as cheap or as expensive as you want, and can be parity protected, so recovery can be pretty easy (assuming you have reliable drives installed).

I looked into unraid before. Im in the process of gathering Ryzen parts, rgb peripherals for my PC upgrade. Thats enough work for now. 

When i do build an unraid, it will have to play 4k hdr. but i also have to get a good HDR TV.

For now. this 2nd hand 1 week ago qnap 251A cost me 195usd, if it doesn work out. I will sell it.

18 hours ago, pomkon said:

I have also considered getting evpad pro 4k because the smart tv apps & UI speed are slow & somewhat limited.

Suppose i have both evpad & 251A, what is the setup?

tv - hdmi - evpad - lan - qnap - lan - Router ???

The Qnap 251A will work fine. Your setup will look somthing like:

Router

| 

LAN

|--- Qnap 251A

|

|--- Evpad <-HDMI-> TV

As long as the Evpad can decode the content stored on the NAS, the NAS will only have to send the file, witch a NAS is made for. If all the devices you will be streaming from can handle the format you store on the NAS you can probably have up to 10 simultaneous streams from the NAS.

3 hours ago, Spaceman20 said:

The Qnap 251A will work fine. Your setup will look somthing like:

As long as the Evpad can decode the content stored on the NAS, the NAS will only have to send the file, witch a NAS is made for. If all the devices you will be streaming from can handle the format you store on the NAS you can probably have up to 10 simultaneous streams from the NAS.

They could also look into getting a dedicated device to do transcoding (cheapo quad-core laptop with a passmark of at least 2k per transcoded stream could do the trick) and set it up as their media server that simply looks at the the file structure on the NAS.

3 hours ago, Jaxder said:

passmark of at least 2k per transcoded stream

How do i get the figures? 

Can your nas play 4k HDR?

do some people still add graphics cards into their nas/freenas/ unraid/snapraid build? When is a graphics card needed?

do u know how ESXi  work?

43 minutes ago, pomkon said:

do some people still add graphics cards into their nas/freenas/ unraid/snapraid build? When is a graphics card needed?

Go to passmark and just look up your cpu your considering and it will show you the score plex suggests 1500-2000 points per stream

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

1 hour ago, pomkon said:

HDR? I'm not sure. But I have had success playing my copy of Enders Game at 4k.

I believe that Plex Media Server can take advantage of hardware encoding with a graphics card, but because my processor doesn't support VT-D, I haven't really had the chance to play with it. I'd really say that the graphics card is only really NEEDED if you are planning to do something like this:

From basic Googling, I see that ESXi is a hypervisor. In this case, you wouldn't be using ESXi as your hypervisor, you would be using Unraid to run your VMs.

18 hours ago, Jaxder said:

I believe that Plex Media Server can take advantage of hardware encoding with a graphics card, but because my processor doesn't support VT-D, I haven't really had the chance to play with it. I'd really say that the graphics card is only really NEEDED if you are planning to do something like this:

What is VT-D?

How big is the 4k enders game file? I downloaded some lg, sony 4k demo :3min for 2GB or 1min for 500MB. When I tried to play them on my PC, i5 3470 +gtx650. The Gtx650 is more powerful than the iGPU, but 4k playback can only play 1or 2 frames. (could be my slow HDD?) I just wonder what 2500k can handle.

I did watch the videos before many times, and considered doing it at 1 point. I put it on hold because I want a new PC 1st. I expect the usual frustrating setup and troubleshooting. Then i may look into unRaid.

20 hours ago, mrbilky said:

Go to passmark and just look up your cpu your considering and it will show you the score plex suggests 1500-2000 points per stream

address please

37 minutes ago, pomkon said:

address please

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=passmark

41 minutes ago, pomkon said:

What is VT-D?

How big is the 4k enders game file? I downloaded some lg, sony 4k demo :3min for 2GB or 1min for 500MB. When I tried to play them on my PC, i5 3470 +gtx650. The Gtx650 is more powerful than the iGPU, but 4k playback can only play 1or 2 frames. (could be my slow HDD?) I just wonder what 2500k can handle.

I did watch the videos before many times, and considered doing it at 1 point. I put it on hold because I want a new PC 1st. I expect the usual frustrating setup and troubleshooting. Then i may look into unRaid.

VT-D is forwarding your graphics card to a virtual system. Linus covers in in this video (which I've already linked):

The file is like 21GB or something like that. If your computer can't handle playing a 4k video, then you should probably upgrade your system or not us 4k videos. Plex can downscale a 4k video to 1080 or 720 if you want it to. Install Plex Media Server on your computer and play around with it before you install it on a NAS. You can run Plex Media Server on a Windows computer too.

It sounds like HDR support and maybe even 4K support varies on Plex from platform to platform. My setup is Plex on my gaming desktop and my smart TV, an LG OLED, has the Plex app for viewing via wifi. I don't use a NAS, but I don't see that introducing any issues if it is connected to the network via wire. I personally haven't tried to see if HDR is preserved since I don't have any HDR files.

My HTPC with i3 7100 can play everything with its Intel HD 630 graphics, the same graphics processor as the 7700K. 

it supports HDCP 2.2, HEVC, X264/X265, VP9 and PlayReady 3.0 (Netflix 4K DRM).

Can stream from any NAS perfectly fine. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 hours ago, Jaxder said:

HaHaHa that's flipping funny as shit!xD

2 hours ago, pomkon said:

i misunderstood it as a separate passmark for transcoding. no need to be a smartass

Don't take shit seriously around here it's all in fun tell me if that was for someone else you wouldn't be laughing your ass off? if not you may need a shrink

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

1 hour ago, Jarsky said:

My HTPC with i3 7100 can play everything with its Intel HD 630 graphics, the same graphics processor as the 7700K. 

This is kinda where I'm at.  It's pretty important to keep NAS functions seperate from Plex Server functions, even if they're the same box.  A NAS can serve any data so long as it doesn't saturate it's drives or network connection.  Plex's ability to transcode stuff as needed is a seperate factor.  My NAS for example, an i5 2300, has no problem streaming to 10+ clients at once.  ...But all my clients do their own decoding of any format.  My NAS purely serves data.  I could swap in a much cheaper CPU without issue.

13 hours ago, mrbilky said:

HaHaHa that's flipping funny as shit!xD

i know

14 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Most nas cpu has a passmark near 1000, I always wonder how qnap Synology , etc.. claim if their nas can do so much work...

23 hours ago, pomkon said:

Most nas cpu has a passmark near 1000, I always wonder how qnap Synology , etc.. claim if their nas can do so much work...

because they run their very own optimized version of linux which has a very low overhead compared to windows and is very fast for most tasks.

my synology nas has a just about 1Ghz dual core CPU but just this weekend it showed clearly that it can handle quite a load.

My wife was streaming a movie while i copied files of the network and on the NAS itself, the files contained pictures so the NAS stared to create thumbnails for the pictures and started to sync them into the amazon cloud at the same time.

they are great for this kind of things but obviously they take long for transcoding tasks or anything else that relies purely on processing power.

use plex it can encode 4k videos 

or just directly use network without any third party app