NVMe RAID 0

syztumGG

Simple question. At the m.2 NVMe level, is going for a RAID 0 configuration worth it? Going to be used with a Ryzen 7 1700x so I'm pretty sure it doesn't even have enough PCIe lanes but even if some can be cut for other things, the price for a motherboard that can support this is also astronomical... right?

Is this for gaming?

Because you shouldn't waste money on NVME in that case.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I tried it when they released the BIOS and drivers for TR just because.

As expected, it did not noticeably boost performance in anything at all (for my use cases).

There's not even that many cases where NVMe is useful in day to day situations, let alone RAID 0 NVMe. 

31 minutes ago, syztumGG said:

Simple question. At the m.2 NVMe level, is going for a RAID 0 configuration worth it? Going to be used with a Ryzen 7 1700x so I'm pretty sure it doesn't even have enough PCIe lanes but even if some can be cut for other things, the price for a motherboard that can support this is also astronomical... right?

If you have the money to spring for identical m.2 drives, don't.  Use the money that will be to your advantage like increasing your total ram amount, better GPU, better monitor, better mouse, etc.  There is no real advantage to NVME m.2 in raid zero, now if you set them up in raid one, that would be an advantage.

https://www.prepressure.com/library/technology/raid

Thanks for the replies. I agree, it's way too expensive for very little, if any, performance gain for 99.999% of users.