Looking for opinions on eero vs. Google Wifi mesh kits?

JR Tyner

Which one?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• eero
    • Google Wifi
    • other?

I live in a 2 story home in North Carolina and I have a Fiber connection to my home. I am looking to upgrade my Netgear Nighthawk X6 to a mesh system because I cannot get a signal in the detached garage, nor some rooms that are not on the same floor as my router. I have done some research and while I originally was going to get a NETGEAR Orbi or an Amped Wireless Ally because I've heard other gamers like these, but I do not think they will provide the right coverage for me as they are not a true mesh network.

I have narrowed it down to the eero or the Google Wifi mesh systems, but I'm feeling really anxious about picking the wrong one. The Google Wifi looks like it would allow me to play online games in any room. But the eero has a helpful Alexa skill and claims to be more secure. I just can't decide on either one?

Orbi recently got a firmware update that added true mesh network capabilities, but from what I have heard, it is not quite ready for primetime.

That said, as somebody who sets up and supports residential mesh systems, Of the two mentioned, Eero has been the one that I have seen the most success and least issues with.

I have not personally set up or supported ubiquiti, so I cannot speak from personal experience on those, but I have heard good things about them.

• 2 weeks later...

While the Google WiFi has been regarded as a stable system, I'm not sure it would be able to cover a large 2-story house+garage and any additional area. I would go with Eero Home (the second gen system) or even better, the Pro package.

There is actually a detailed article which addresses exactly what you need: http://www.mbreviews.com/google-wifi-vs-eero/