My pc won't boot anymore

SakisW
Go to solution Solved by SakisW,

I got a new motherboard and a new psu. Seemed to be booting but ram error so afterward I went to the shop and got new rams and the system booted up fine. 

What died: psu, motherboard, ram, hdd, 

Thanks you for all of the help. 

I installed a second gpu (gtx 660) to my pc then I turned it on the fans started to spin up and it shut itself down and now nothing happens I removed both of my gpu still nothing. The motherboard only show standby led which is not the only one that should be on on the motherboard because there are other led lights that also should be on. I also have a fan controller which also doesn't light up nor my power button,  only the standby led on the motherboard lights up. 

The motherboard should have a diagnostic lights that should flash if something is broken but nothing there either. 

What I tried :

remove/change ram slot. 

Tried boot it with a different PSU

Tried removing all USB devices.

Removed cmos battery and putted back.

Tried removing both gpu.

Spec:

Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard

Gtx 1080ti

2x8gb ram

I7 6700

PSU corsair cx750m

Sorry for bad English it's my second language. 

Thank you for all the help. 

Sounds to me like that 660 shorted something. To make sure the board is still alive, build a testbench on a piece of wood or cardboard, and only connect your PSU and 1 stick of RAM. If that works, keep adding components until it fails again. If everything works, build everything back in. If it stops working then, your case is shorting the board and you'll need to address that first.

If it doesn't work in any way, shape or form, your board is most likely wrecked. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

20 minutes ago, pmz98 said:

I installed a second gpu (gtx 660) to my pc then I turned it on the fans started to spin up and it shut itself down and now nothing happens I removed both of my gpu still nothing. The motherboard only show standby led which is not the only one that should be on on the motherboard because there are other led lights that also should be on. I also have a fan controller which also doesn't light up nor my power button,  only the standby led on the motherboard lights up. 

The motherboard should have a diagnostic lights that should flash if something is broken but nothing there either. 

What I tried :

remove/change ram slot. 

Tried boot it with a different PSU

Tried removing all USB devices.

Removed cmos battery and putted back.

Tried removing both gpu.

Spec:

Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard

Gtx 1080ti

2x8gb ram

I7 6700

PSU corsair cx750m

Sorry for bad English it's my second language. 

Thank you for all the help. 

is it built in a case and how old is the build?

Refer to @NelizMastr that would have been where my answer was going

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

it looks like the 660 shorted something.

did you plug the power connectors and everything in right?

She/Her

So I tried my PSU on my second PC and it sparked and I think it burned my 2nd PC 4 pin cpu header. Not sure if it's still usable or not. This is where I am now. The PSU is roughly 3 years old. Firelighter487 I was making sure everything plugged in correctly. Should I try out what damage it made into my second build with the original PSU? Or should I try the still working PSU out in my main PC? Or what should I check or/and do?  I am guessing I need a new motherboard and now a new PSU

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

it looks like the 660 shorted something.

did you plug the power connectors and everything in right?

1 hour ago, astrosheen said:

is it built in a case and how old is the build?

Refer to @NelizMastr that would have been where my answer was going

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Sounds to me like that 660 shorted something. To make sure the board is still alive, build a testbench on a piece of wood or cardboard, and only connect your PSU and 1 stick of RAM. If that works, keep adding components until it fails again. If everything works, build everything back in. If it stops working then, your case is shorting the board and you'll need to address that first.

If it doesn't work in any way, shape or form, your board is most likely wrecked. 

So I tried my PSU on my second PC and it sparked and I think it burned my 2nd PC 4 pin cpu header. Not sure if it's still usable or not. This is where I am now. The PSU is roughly 3 years old. Firelighter487 I was making sure everything plugged in correctly. Should I try out what damage it made into my second build with the original PSU? Or should I try the still working PSU out in my main PC? Or what should I check or/and do?  I am guessing I need a new motherboard and now a new PSU

First time using forum. Not 100% sure how it works.

Update:I builded myself a bench to test it out same nothing happens even without anything plugged in except 24 pin and 8 pin for cpu

2nd update. The other system works it didn't damage that. I am about to order a new motherboard with a new PSU. 

1 hour ago, pmz98 said:

First time using forum. Not 100% sure how it works.

Update:I builded myself a bench to test it out same nothing happens even without anything plugged in except 24 pin and 8 pin for cpu

2nd update. The other system works it didn't damage that. I am about to order a new motherboard with a new PSU. 

if the PSU sparked on another board then it's a danger to use. 

it's indeed a good idea to order a new board and psu. 

She/Her

• 3 weeks later...

I got a new motherboard and a new psu. Seemed to be booting but ram error so afterward I went to the shop and got new rams and the system booted up fine. 

What died: psu, motherboard, ram, hdd, 

Thanks you for all of the help.