it's time to upgrade... need some help

SUPER_MOOSE93

I am looking to upgrade my PC to get 4k gaming at a solid 60fps or higher. I have had someone say i will need a newer motherboard and processor, and new ram, but they didnt say what to replace it with or why it needed changing. 

anyway, this is my current build:

CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Fan - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Motherboard - MSI Z97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V

Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W

I honestly don't have a clue what needs upgrading and i don't have a massive budget to play with, i can sell stuff to put towards new parts though. 

Ehhhh I'd tend to disagree with whoever said that. I think you could get away with just upgrading your CPU to some LGA1150 i7 off eBay and then taking your GPU into the 10 series, probably looking at a 1070 (ti?)

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

4 minutes ago, SUPER_MOOSE93 said:

I am looking to upgrade my PC to get 4k gaming at a solid 60fps or higher. I have had someone say i will need a newer motherboard and processor, and new ram, but they didnt say what to replace it with or why it needed changing. 

anyway, this is my current build:

CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Fan - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Motherboard - MSI Z97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V

Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W

I honestly don't have a clue what needs upgrading and i don't have a massive budget to play with, i can sell stuff to put towards new parts though. 

Power Supply is good. Consider getting a 1080 ti. Corsair has 1080 tis that come with water cooling that will be good for speeds. Might wanna upgrade your CPU. Probably to an i7 6700k or 7700k. You should also replace your CPU fan for an AIO water cooler. The corsair h100i v2 will do the job. You will definitely need another 8gbs of ram. Preferably ddr4. 

2 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

Ehhhh I'd tend to disagree with whoever said that. I think you could get away with just upgrading your CPU to some LGA1150 i7 off eBay and then taking your GPU into the 10 series, probably looking at a 1070 (ti?)

Games are mostly single-threaded and the 4690K is fine for that, the i5 and the i7 both use the same 22nm process and share the same per-core performance

2 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

Whoa eBay? Not a good idea...

Don't upgrade the CPU, your GPU is nearly always the limiting factor. Get something like a GTX 1070Ti (if you want to use nvidia specific features) or wait for aftermarket Vega 56 if you have a freesync monitor or want to use AMD specific features.

On 26/10/2017 at 10:23 PM, seon123 said:

Just upgrading the GPU to a 1070 Ti or a 1080/Ti should do the trick. The 4690K is still capable of more than 60 FPS

what is the difference between the 1070ti and the 1080ti?

19 minutes ago, SUPER_MOOSE93 said:

what is the difference between the 1070ti and the 1080ti?

The 1080 Ti is significantly more powerful

:)

23 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The 1080 Ti is significantly more powerful

so what is the difference between these two 1080 ti's? as far as i can tell, one has slightly better MHz and the other has an extra fan 

ASUS 1080ti

EVGA 1080ti

8 minutes ago, SUPER_MOOSE93 said:

so what is the difference between these two 1080 ti's? as far as i can tell, one has slightly better MHz and the other has an extra fan 

ASUS 1080ti

EVGA 1080ti

The differences between the different models of the same GPU, is the power delivery and cooling. The link for the EVGA card doesn't work for me, but I'm assuming it's the SC2. The Strix has the best cooler, and a really good VRM, but often tends to cost more than a lot of other cards. 

:)

48 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The differences between the different models of the same GPU, is the power delivery and cooling. The link for the EVGA card doesn't work for me, but I'm assuming it's the SC2. The Strix has the best cooler, and a really good VRM, but often tends to cost more than a lot of other cards. 

ahhh, okay. so every 1080ti is essentially fairly equal but performance can vary on how it has been designed by each company. would it be worth getting another set of ram? still ddr3 though or i would have to get a new motherboard

scan uk have a good deal on the asus trix 1080ti. £749 and you get destiny 2 and AC origins free with the current promotions they have going.