GPU blocks for Mining/gaming use

HI

I currently have two RX480's running in a mining rig on air. The plan is that these cards will eventually move into a gaming machine in my living room to pull double duty as a gaming machine when required but mining rig the rest of the time. This leaves me with the problem of keeping them cool at a reasonably sound level for front room use and from the looks of it watercooling is the only real option as they will be under full load almost all the time

The two cards I have are an Asus Dual and a MSI GamingX so the off the shelf full cover block that EK do for the RX480 wont work. This leaves me with the generic GPU waterblock options.

it looks like so far my options are

EK Thermosphere - https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-thermosphere

Plus points is that it looks really good and the EK name is known

Bad points are that it only cools the GPU core so I would need some passive heatsinks at least on the RAM and power delivery

EK VGA Supremecy - https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-vga-supremacy

Slighty cheaper, not as cool looking and has the same issue of just the core being cooled

Alphacool NexXos - https://www.alphacool.com/shop/gpu-cooler/ati-fullsize/21720/alphacool-nexxxos-gpx-ati-r9-480-m03-mit-backplate-schwarz

This has the advantage of having the core cooled by the block but having a full cover passive heatsink to handle the ram and Voltage regulator

Downside is that is looks a bit plain and is more expensive - this may balance out when extra RAM/power delivery heatsinks are added to the EK config

Raijintek GWB-C1 http://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=33

This one looks like it could be the cheapest option but i rarely hear this company talked about so i dont know the quality and i would still need to look at some sort of passive cooling on the RAM and power delivery.

Unless im missing something for blocks it looks like the Alphacool is the best choice but has anyone got any thoughts on this?

just don't mix copper with aluminum, that would be bad

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

If your place, I would go with the Alphacool block.

Having a heat sink for the the RAM and VRMs is a plus. Combine that with even just a basic fan giving it some airflow and you're set.

But that's just me in your place.

Someone else might have some data to suggest that it's probably not as big a deal as it sounds.

---

Dont worry i will be sticking to the same metal on the blocks/radiators to avoid galvanic corrosion

It sounds like you have the same thought pattern as myself primesonic as my thoughts were with the alphacool blocks it should passive cool the RAM and VRM in one easy to go option - obviously attatching aftermarket passive cooling to the RAM and VRM gives me that same benefit regardless of the block used

The thing is as this is going into the av display in my front room I kind of want it to look good and the EK thermosphere just look epic.

Looks and aesthetics cannot be denied in the realm of PC enthusiasts.

If you do go with a block that leaves the VRMs exposed, then just make sure you've got a fan blowing directly at it.

It can even be a sweet RGB fan or something else that looks right.

That should be enough.

---

The good thing is as its not actually going in a case when it goes in the front room (plan to custom build it into a open cabinet) i might get enough airflow being pulled through to cool them anyway