Help with specs for work machine

xTheEc0
Go to solution Solved by seon123,

If you absolutely won't overclock, the 1700X or 8700 should make hte most sense. For the 1700X you can use any board with all the features you need (you don't need a really good VRM), and the only 1151 v2 boards available atm are Z370. 

Won't a 1050 Ti or 1060 be overkill? Unless you need the raw GPU power or CUDA acceleration, the iGPU on Intel, or a basic dGPU for Ryzen might be fine?

For storage, M.2 is a just a form factor. Most tasks don't benefit from faster than SATA 3 speeds, as the CPU generally becomes the bottleneck. A single 1TB 2,5" SATA SSD (or two in RAID 1, if you need redundancy) should be better than two SSDs. 

As for the rest of the build, what parts are you thinking?

Hey peeps, before I ask the actual question of 'WHAT', here's some context to help imagine the purpose of the build.

I just got promoted at work and am allowed to build a machine for myself.

Work would mostly consist of running tests, compiling and building code etc.

Build scripts are optimized quite well, use all cores etc, so I am thinking of either Ryzen 1700~1800 or Intel 8700 (non k. Don't want to bother with overclocking and stuff on work machine)

This does not really require a beefy GPU, so I am probably getting a 1050Ti/1060 or am AMD equivalent.

So what I need help with is - CPU / Motherboard combos that make sense for this. 
I need help with this because I don't follow motherboards at all, so I would probably pair a K processor with B370 and call it a day.

But don't want my lead to faint after seeing the price of the build.

Also as a side question/advice, how should I config my storage?
I am thinking of doing 256 + 1TB SSD's for dem quick access times.

Depending on what M.2 prices are (aren't following those either, ups) might do M.2 + SATA ?

12 minutes ago, xTheEc0 said:

Hey peeps, before I ask the actual question of 'WHAT', here's some context to help imagine the purpose of the build.

I just got promoted at work and am allowed to build a machine for myself.

Work would mostly consist of running tests, compiling and building code etc.

Build scripts are optimized quite well, use all cores etc, so I am thinking of either Ryzen 1700~1800 or Intel 8700 (non k. Don't want to bother with overclocking and stuff on work machine)

This does not really require a beefy GPU, so I am probably getting a 1050Ti/1060 or am AMD equivalent.

So what I need help with is - CPU / Motherboard combos that make sense for this. 
I need help with this because I don't follow motherboards at all, so I would probably pair a K processor with B370 and call it a day.

But don't want my lead to faint after seeing the price of the build.

Also as a side question/advice, how should I config my storage?
I am thinking of doing 256 + 1TB SSD's for dem quick access times.

Depending on what M.2 prices are (aren't following those either, ups) might do M.2 + SATA ?

What is your allocated budget?

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

If you absolutely won't overclock, the 1700X or 8700 should make hte most sense. For the 1700X you can use any board with all the features you need (you don't need a really good VRM), and the only 1151 v2 boards available atm are Z370. 

Won't a 1050 Ti or 1060 be overkill? Unless you need the raw GPU power or CUDA acceleration, the iGPU on Intel, or a basic dGPU for Ryzen might be fine?

For storage, M.2 is a just a form factor. Most tasks don't benefit from faster than SATA 3 speeds, as the CPU generally becomes the bottleneck. A single 1TB 2,5" SATA SSD (or two in RAID 1, if you need redundancy) should be better than two SSDs. 

:)

Just now, Thermosman said:

What is your allocated budget?

Not set in stone. Basically 'go wild', but I wouldn't want to make my lead faint after seeing the total build price : D

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

A single 1TB 2,5" SATA SSD (or two in RAID 1, if you need redundancy) should be better than two SSDs. 

Two because of the way I am used to store my stuff, which also allows me to nuke the first ssd and reinstall windows anytime.

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Nothing fancy. I'll find some cheap-ish case, 550W~ evga cpu, 16gigs of ram thats not too overkill. Nothing fancy.

You're welcome to give suggestions : P

Hi there :) 

Well as long as you have it pretty clear with the GPU and CPU you will sport you can check compatibles motherboards in webpages where you choose the motherboard and cpu you want and they tell you if they're compatible or not. Google :) 

And for the storage my best advice is: 

Are you gonna be storing real data in the computer? like mountains of edited video? Cause then you will need that extra HDD with 1TB. 

Are you gonna just stream or use and delete content? I would go with a single M.2

I personally have only a 250gb M.2 Samsung 960 EVO and I don't have any problem of storage. 

But that's something you need to decide :) 

Good luck! 

Just now, xTheEc0 said:

Two because of the way I am used to store my stuff, which also allows me to nuke the first ssd and reinstall windows anytime.

Nothing fancy. I'll find some cheap-ish case, 550W~ evga cpu, 16gigs of ram thats not too overkill. Nothing fancy.

You're welcome to give suggestions : P

Makes sense, I guess.

EVGA is perfectly capable of selling fire hazard PSUs. Many of the Bronze rated PSUs are pretty bad. CPUs benefit noticably from faster RAM, so 3000 MHz isn't unreasonable. 

Just now, Karl Sven said:

Hi there :) 

Well as long as you have it pretty clear with the GPU and CPU you will sport.

In terms of compatibles motherboards you can actually go to webpages where you choose the motherboard and cpu you want and they tell you if they're compatible or not. Google :) 

And for the storage my best advice is: 

Are you gonna be storing real data in the computer? like mountains of edited video? Cause then you will need that extra HDD with 1TB. 

Are you gonna just stream or use and delete content? I would go with a single M.2

I personally have only a 250gb M.2 Samsung 960 EVO and I don't have any problem of storage. 

But that's something you need to decide :) 

Good luck! 

Storage is needed because only the unbuilt source code is almost 100gb. Add the builds, test projects etc, and its in 300gb~ range. Then add outside dependencies, programs and what not and using 500gb _might_ be enough, but I'd rather go safe with 1tb.

2 minutes ago, xTheEc0 said:

Storage is needed because only the unbuilt source code is almost 100gb. Add the builds, test projects etc, and its in 300gb~ range. Then add outside dependencies, programs and what not and using 500gb _might_ be enough, but I'd rather go safe with 1tb.

Then you have the answer.

Anyway, are you gonna need speed in processes inside the HDD or moving data to the SSD? Cause then check it out for a good HDD. Even when is not SSD you can get faster or slower HDD's ;)

24 minutes ago, xTheEc0 said:

I assume 8700 (even non k) does not come with a cooler, since you included one? Or do you hate intel ones that much : D

It does. A crappy, small cooler, but it should do the job fine. Not sure about his choices of components in that list

57 minutes ago, xTheEc0 said:

I assume 8700 (even non k) does not come with a cooler, since you included one? Or do you hate intel ones that much : D

That cooler is the best that is small enough to fit In your case.  Intel stock coolers would give pretty high temps since they are really bad

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

38 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It does. A crappy, small cooler, but it should do the job fine. Not sure about his choices of components in that list

What is questionable about my choice of components

17 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

It is supposed to be a really small pc that can fit on your desk

I didn't say that it should fit _on_ my desk tho.

So I have finalized my build. Had to go with 8700k. Called the redistributor and they won't have 8700's until December.

Well, whatever, the board is Z370 anyway.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/xqNVjc

Got an Evo 212 since 8700k comes with no cooler, but can't find that on partpicker.

German partpicker (I'm in Europe) doesn't have prices for the monitors, but the total comes up to 1.9k

So thanks again for help guys. Sent the part list to my lead, he ok'd it. Now let's hope it arrives for November 1st-ish.  

9 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

What is questionable about my choice of components

The storage and the PSU. NVMe SSDs usually don't benefit actual performance, as other components tend to become the bottleneck. 

There are several less expensive 1x16GB RAM sticks at the same or higher speed. 

The MX300 costs a bit less than the 850 Evo, and is very decent. 

Still not sure about whether or not OP will benefit from the 1060, over a cheaper GPU.

600W PSU is total overkill, 450W is way more than enough.

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The storage and the PSU. NVMe SSDs usually don't benefit actual performance, as other components tend to become the bottleneck. 

There are several less expensive 1x16GB RAM sticks at the same or higher speed. 

The MX300 costs a bit less than the 850 Evo, and is very decent. 

Still not sure about whether or not OP will benefit from the 1060, over a cheaper GPU.

600W PSU is total overkill, 450W is way more than enough.

Ram clearance is a concern with this cooler, the PSU could be changed, and there is some leeway for what ssd to buy. I think that a 1060 is the best choice for this build, has plenty of power and won't cause bottlenecks

7 minutes ago, xTheEc0 said:

So I have finalized my build. Had to go with 8700k. Called the redistributor and they won't have 8700's until December.

German partpicker (I'm in Europe) doesn't have prices for the monitors, but the total comes up to 1.9k

So thanks again for help guys. Sent the part list to my lead, he ok'd it. Now let's hope it arrives for November 1st-ish.  

I know, but it's nice to have the ability to

12 minutes ago, xTheEc0 said:

Got an Evo 212 since 8700k comes with no cooler, but can't find that on partpicker.

The 212 Evo isn't great. The Cryorig H7 and H5 usually don't cost much more, and are a bit better. 

I wouldn't overclock too much on that motherboard, but for normal use its perfectly fine.