Mobo hangs on GPU check

Hey there Linus Tech (Support) Tips guys,

I recently ordered a new motherboard (AB350 Gaming 3) with a new CPU (Ryzen 5 1600) and RAM (LPX Vengeance). The motherboard has a little disco before boot where it tests the CPU, RAM, GPU (labelled VGA) and then Boot. For each test, a separate light goes on and if there's no problem the light goes out again. However, with my current GPU (ASUS R9 270x DirectCU II ) the light doesn't go out. With an older GPU (Zotac GTX470) the system boots fine and everything functions. Seems like a clear cut case of a dead GPU, however my R9 270x still works just fine on my older motherboard+CPU+ram combo (P7P55-M with i5 760). When the PSU gets power, the R9 270x shows green lights above where the power is connected and when I try to boot, the fans spin. Not sure if that helps, but I thought I might as well mention it

As for things I've tried,

I tried plugging it into a different PCI-E slot on the motherboard, however a friend said that was a bad idea since only the top one was PCI-E 3.0.

I tried using a brand new PSU (so I've tested it with two, both of which should be plenty to power the new system at 550W since pcpartpicker only rates it at about 350)

I updated my new motherboard's BIOS to the latest version.

I tried changing the PCI-E settings from Auto to Gen3, in case it didn't recognize the R9 270x as gen 3.

At friends recommendation, I tried turning off XMP but it was already disabled by default.

it could simply that the mobo doesnt support the gpu for some reason ( rare but can happen ) since it works in another mobo o,o

(◑‿◐)

I think this video from JayzTwoCents is the exact same issue I'm having

It shows him using the a different version of the same GPU and it working, so I assume it's not just a GPU/Mobo support incompatibility issue, at least not model wise