Mayflower Arc Dac/Amp Review

Wolf_Lbh

Pros:
Usb and spdif inputs - works great with my setup regardless of if I am using it with my computer or spdif from my tv.
Mic input - excellent addition for mod mic users. Lets you use your fav headphone + mic combo and only occupies a single usb port.
Driverless - plug and play.
Powerful - Can put anything I own to "ear bleeding" level.
Clean - amazingly clear sound, no coloring I can hear whatsoever.
No clipping - from the very lowest volume to the max I can listen to without blowing something up there is 0 fuzz.
Excellent switches - This shouldn't need to be said but some products screw this up so bad I feel the need to make a note when the hi-low gain (and spdif-usb in this case) switch is easy to operate and doesn't require a safety pin to flick.
Rca output - if you wanted to use this for speakers at some point that is totally doable.
Volume knob - Maybe I'm just a weirdo but this has a clicky on/off position, clear markings of what volume you are at, and isn't loose enough to drift when you are done turning it and I just find it very satisfying to use.
Interface - Everything is a physical button so there isn't some horrid lcd screen you can never turn off. The only lights it has are an "on" led which is a mild non-blinding grey as long as you don't point it directly in your line of sight, and a blue led if you turn on dsp (don't turn on dsp, I'm sure it is good for dsp but just don't do it).

Batman - It comes in black.

Cons:
Price - At $230 that is 2x what a Schiit Fulla 2 costs so if you can live without spdif and mic inputs and are ok with the case being silver I'd go with that.
Too much power - if you want to use it with iems then watch the F*** out. At the lowest volume the knob will go to before turning off I need to set my foobar to -60db for a comfortable listening volume.
Volume Knob - When turned all the way down it can turn off for a second but will turn on again in a second or two. DO NOT do what I did and assume that you simply turned the volume down too far to hear anything and start cranking the volume up because when it turns on at high volume out of nowhere you will be in a lot of pain.
Usb type b in 2017- F***ing seriously?!? Anything that isn't using type c in 2017 loses a point.
Separate power line - It has usb input just use that as power + data or just power if spdif mode is on, usb 3 can power it.

Overall: If you are looking for spdif and usb inputs in a single device for >$500, or any dac/amp with a mic input then this is a fantastic buy for the money. 8/10 if used with low power iems, 9/10 if used with anything you can get it off min volume on.

xD I get the feeling it's not designed for iems :P or at least whatever you plugged into it

also -moved to reviews section-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

xD I get the feeling it's not designed for iems :P or at least whatever you plugged into it

also -moved to reviews section-

As it is both a dac and an amp and I listen to music with both iems and headphones I feel it was only fair to test it with both as it isn't fair to expect someone to have to buy two dacs just because one didn't have low enough volume. Most of the time I listen to it headphones but man is it risky hooking up some iems to this sucker.