Needa some advice

Viktor.alcala
Go to solution Solved by CheeseburgerChad,
Just now, Viktor.alcala said:

Planning to use it for just a basic gaming station.... Games like league of legends or dota 2 maybe....

In this case, there's no way either of those cards will work. Bottom line you probably need a new computer or a much better graphics card than what you're talking about. Even at low settings those won't cut it. Minimally I'd say Nvidia GTX 750ti, 950, 1050, or anything in that range, otherwise for AMD you could go r7-260X, or any r9 card. You could maybe also get by with a Radeon HD-7850/7870

Need some advice guys... Im planning to upgrade an old tower pc here in my house all the to the philippines....

Now here is my scenario...

I do have a Lenovo thinkcentre a55 8705 system unit. With core 2 duo procie... Running at 3.33ghz with ram of ddr2 4gb in total....

My question is about the graphics card... Im looking forward to get the gigabyte Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 210 1gb ddr3 or the sapphire radeon r5 230 1gb ddr3....

Which one should i choose...? Or could any recommend something better...

P_20171022_050308_1_p.jpg

Both are garbage for gaming. What do you want this pc to do? 

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Both are garbage for gaming. What do you want this pc to do? 

Well I have a feeling he's not gaming given the specs of the cpu and such also.. Just wondering what he's doing with it so I can make a recommendation, although given the fact that this thing is so old that it still uses DDR2, any part you buy for it is definitely worth a lot more than the PC itself and you should probably just invest in a new computer. Any integrated graphics from anything in the past 5 years or so should beat the performance of both of the aforementioned cards.

Meh some build specs...

Meh some inspirational quote meh...

1 minute ago, CheeseburgerChad said:

What do you plan on using the card for?

Planning to use it for just a basic gaming station.... Games like league of legends or dota 2 maybe....

1 minute ago, Viktor.alcala said:

No lol.

those cards are designed as a display output for PCs that don't have integrated graphics.

they're about as terrible a GPU as you can get. Integrated graphics on any modern CPU would kick it's ass.

get at least a GTX 750Ti or GT 1030, I'd recommend the GTX 1050 or 1050Ti if you can find them. (or maybe RX 560?)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, Viktor.alcala said:

In this case, there's no way either of those cards will work. Bottom line you probably need a new computer or a much better graphics card than what you're talking about. Even at low settings those won't cut it. Minimally I'd say Nvidia GTX 750ti, 950, 1050, or anything in that range, otherwise for AMD you could go r7-260X, or any r9 card. You could maybe also get by with a Radeon HD-7850/7870

Meh some build specs...

1 minute ago, VenomZ_ said:

this forget what he said about the new computer

With all due respect, he might have some issues with a pre-built containing a core 2 duo.. There's a chance it'll run fine, but even if it does he'll probably have cpu bottleneck and with pre-builts of that age there's a very good chance his PSU is either non-replaceable or can't power any decent dedicated GPUs

Meh some build specs...

With all due respect, he might have some issues with a pre-built containing a core 2 duo.. There's a chance it'll run fine, but even if it does he'll probably have cpu bottleneck and with pre-builts of that age there's a very good chance his PSU is either non-replaceable or can't power any decent dedicated GPUs

while you are correct if he's running games like these 

9 minutes ago, Viktor.alcala said:

then he should have no problems running them if he goes with a 260x or the hd 7850 or the 1030

2 minutes ago, CheeseburgerChad said:

It's LoL and Dota 2. He's fine with what he's got and a GPU far better than a 210 or 6450/230.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Ok, fine. Still though he really should take into consideration how he's going to power the card. Can be difficult with pre-builts. My friend had quite a few headaches once trying to install a 960 into one of his. Ended up having to buy a new PSU and almost ended up having to get a new case that fit that PSU. Lots of pre-builts have power supplys with extremely low wattage.

Meh some build specs...

Ok, fine. Still though he really should take into consideration how he's going to power the card. Can be difficult with pre-builts. My friend had quite a few headaches once trying to install a 960 into one of his. Ended up having to buy a new PSU and almost ended up having to get a new case that fit that PSU. Lots of pre-builts have power supplys with extremely low wattage.

if he goes with something like a GT 1030 which sips from the mobo he should have no problems. hell even a 1050 only uses 75w from the mobo with power from psu 

Just now, VenomZ_ said:

if he goes with something like a GT 1030 which sips from the mobo he should have no problems. hell even a 1050 only uses 75w from the mobo with power from psu 

Using one that draws from mobo power is definitely preferable in his case, but still that power has to come from somewhere, he should just check his PSU to make sure.. I've seen old pre-builts from that era come with like 100W PSUs and such.. would be a shame to find out too late.

Meh some build specs...

8 minutes ago, CheeseburgerChad said:

Using one that draws from mobo power is definitely preferable in his case, but still that power has to come from somewhere, he should just check his PSU to make sure.. I've seen old pre-builts from that era come with like 100W PSUs and such.. would be a shame to find out too late.

in this case it's over 200 watts so he'll be fine

Just now, VenomZ_ said:

in this case it's over 200 watts so he'll be fine

Ok then that's great. I'd recommend a 750Ti, 1030, or 1050 since they all run off PCIe power. How do you know its greater than 200?

Meh some build specs...

3 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

I looked up the model in the op

Ah I see, well he's likely okay then because I think the core 2 duos only go up to around 65W depending on the model.

Meh some build specs...

Thanks guys for all the advice... To be honest i dont have the money yet to buy a new system thats why im rebuilding my old one... ???  ( need money for college thats why i sell my gaming rig ) im not so knowledgeable when it comes to older model like this .... So thats why all of your suggestions are highly appreciated.... Thanks guys...