Fixing a $20 Rock Candy Controller

Hotseff

I have had a Rock Candy for probably 4 or 5 years now but last year it stopped working and I just thought about asking some people how to fix it or if you can even fix it, because from what some friends of said it seems to a cable snapped because I rolled up the cable around the controller too tightly causing the controller to work but it will constantly have to reconnect if I move it or sometimes even just push a button. So where would the most likely place a cable would damaged in the cord so that I could strip and hopefully repair it at some point. 

A common point of failure for controller cables is usually at the ends. Either the part inside the controller has come loose at the soldering spot or it's broken from the connector side.  It'll probably be easier to check inside the controller first unless there are any obvious tears or breakages along the cable length. 

Just now, Zxero said:

A common point of failure for controller cables is usually at the ends. Either the part inside the controller has come loose at the soldering spot or it's broken from the connector side.  It's probably be easier to check inside the controller first unless there are any obvious tears or breakages along the cable length. 

I can see into it and nothing seems to be broken in the inside because if I get it set perfectly everything works. But is it even possible to fix the cable in the controller without soldering the cables together? 

14 minutes ago, Hotseff said:

I have had a Rock Candy for probably 4 or 5 years now but last year it stopped working and I just thought about asking some people how to fix it or if you can even fix it, because from what some friends of said it seems to a cable snapped because I rolled up the cable around the controller too tightly causing the controller to work but it will constantly have to reconnect if I move it or sometimes even just push a button. So where would the most likely place a cable would damaged in the cord so that I could strip and hopefully repair it at some point. 

Is this the rock candy Xbox controller? If so I know exactly what to do cause I did it myself??

2 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Is this the rock candy Xbox controller? If so I know exactly what to do cause I did it myself??

Yes an Xbox 360 Rock Candy Controller

1 minute ago, Hotseff said:

Yes an Xbox 360 Rock Candy Controller

Ok take the casing apart and you will find where the cables go into the controller. Cut the cord after the circular things on the usb end and solder them on the starting wires with matching colors

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

Ok take the casing apart and you will find where the cables go into the controller. Cut the cord after the circular things on the usb end and solder them on the starting wires with matching colors

I don't think the Break Away USB Cable/ Dongle is the problem if that is what your talking about plus in an earlier post I was asking for a solution that does not require soldering because I don't know how to solder nor do I have the soldering iron.

1 minute ago, Hotseff said:

I don't think the Break Away USB Cable/ Dongle is the problem if that is what your talking about plus in an earlier post I was asking for a solution that does not require soldering because I don't know how to solder nor do I have the soldering iron.

Does the controller light up during the disconnect and reconnect period. Because if it is truly the cable like you said in your original post your going to either have to solder or strip a good amount off the wires and twist them together. 

Just now, Legolessed said:

Does the controller light up during the disconnect and reconnect period. Because if it is truly the cable like you said in your original post your going to either have to solder or strip a good amount off the wires and twist them together. 

Yes and I actually was expecting to have to strip the wires and then use something to reconnect them but I just needed some opinions on where to strip the cable so I don't have to strip the entire thing.

2 minutes ago, Hotseff said:

Yes and I actually was expecting to have to strip the wires and then use something to reconnect them but I just needed some opinions on where to strip the cable so I don't have to strip the entire thing.

Ok are you using the controller on a pc or console? Like are you suing the adopter cable for pc?

Just now, Legolessed said:

Ok are you using the controller on a pc or console? Like are you suing the adopter cable for pc?

I use it on both PC and my Xbox 360 using the same USB Break Away Cable/ Dongle

10 minutes ago, Hotseff said:

I use it on both PC and my Xbox 360 using the same USB Break Away Cable/ Dongle

Just to clarify I'm talking about the one that came with the controller if you were thinking diffrently