Computer now only boots to a black screen

Railgun

In the past few weeks I've been having an issue where my computer boots to a black screen and won't do anything. Restarting the computer allows it to boot normally again but the BIOS screen would then have a small message at the bottom saying something about scanning and repairing system partition.

I always ignored it since the computer would boot. But today, I updated Nvidia drivers and restarted and now it only boots to the black screen. Restarting doesn't seem to help. The screen only shows a small "A2" in the bottom right which I assume is some sort of motherboard code.

I would greatly appreciate help resolving this. Specs are in my signature

NEWS UPDATE: After leaving the computer for a little while I decided to try starting it up again AND IT BOOTED! I am typing this from my computer. I also didn't get the usual "repairing system partition" message. However, I still want to figure out just what the hell is going on. Does anyone know what could be causing this, and could it cause damage if left alone? I'll include some screenshots of the BIOS message I was receiving in the past: https://imgur.com/a/wEeB4

Thanks in advance

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

6 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

for asus

A2 means IDE RESET

it basicly means the HDD wont spin up   / hdd failure

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-GAMING-5.html

This is my board. If it is indeed a hard drive issue, that would at least explain the "repairing system partition" part. But I did a hard drive scan using WD's tool and it didn't find anything unusual. Also, I have Windows installed on my SSD, rather than my HDD.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

2 minutes ago, Railgun said:

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-GAMING-5.html

This is my board. If it is indeed a hard drive issue, that would at least explain the "repairing system partition" part. But I did a hard drive scan using WD's tool and it didn't find anything unusual. Also, I have Windows installed on my SSD, rather than my HDD.

in all motherboard manuals there is a list of motherboard QCODES so u can see where the error lies, thats why the code is there , its usually somwhere in the bottom of the manual

im checking personally quick on the internet but u can find it urself too in the manual

(◑‿◐)

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

in all motherboard manuals there is a list of motherboard QCODES so u can see where the error lies, thats why the code is there , its usually somwhere in the bottom of the manual

im checking personally quick on the internet but u can find it urself too in the manual

I haven't checked the physical LEDs on the board, but the code displayed on the screen refers to the following: Onboard devices Initialize and Detect (USB/ SATA/

SCSI......)

I guess that would also point towards a drive related issue

2 minutes ago, Railgun said:

I haven't checked the physical LEDs on the board, but the code displayed on the screen refers to the following: Onboard devices Initialize and Detect (USB/ SATA/

SCSI......)

yeah its aimed at the hdd / ssd then whichever :(

probably dieing/dead drive

(◑‿◐)

7 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

yeah its aimed at the hdd / ssd then whichever :(

probably dieing/dead drive

RIP. Do you know of anything I can run to test the drive just to make sure?

3 minutes ago, Railgun said:

RIP. Do you know of anything I can run to test the drive just to make sure?

try another pc :v run a hdd tester ( u gotta make a bootable usb in that case somehow ) check for dead sectors ect

basicly just get a advanced hdd tester

u can also test it through SMART ( dunno how to get that test running tho )

:v i never had to test a hdd like that xD i just rma them ( coz im 100% sure when their dead usually haha )

(◑‿◐)