How do I safely move my old hard drive to my new computer.

Hi. I recently bought new computer parts for the pc I'm building (list can be seen here if needed: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/fxVmbj) and I was wondering how I could move my old hard drive into the new pc. How would I safely remove my harddrive from my previous build with my new one without the drivers of the old rig? My thoughts are I clean install but when do I unplug my hard drive and how do I safely do it.

Well you'll want to start with backing your data up (assuming you want to/have to). Other than that it's as simple as just unplugging it, removing it, and then putting it in the new PC and throwing a fresh install of Windows on it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If you're using it as the os drive, unplug the sata and power cable, remove any screws holding it in, screw into the new rig(or if it has one of  those ez screwless bays thats even easier) then if you dont care about the data on it(or backed up everything you need) reinstall windows with said drive in the new build and select the drive option format it before installing, or the option to install a fresh copy of Windows and remove older versions. Either work

2 minutes ago, mrmonmon2 said:

If you're using it as the os drive, unplug the sata and power cable, remove any screws holding it in, screw into the new rig(or if it has one of  those ez screwless bays thats even easier) then if you dont care about the data on it(or backed up everything you need) reinstall windows with said drive in the new build and select the drive option format it before installing, or the option to install a fresh copy of Windows and remove older versions. Either work

3 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Well you'll want to start with backing your data up (assuming you want to/have to). Other than that it's as simple as just unplugging it, removing it, and then putting it in the new PC and throwing a fresh install of Windows on it.

Thanks for the replies guys. However, wouldn't the drivers of my old rig overlap with the new ones? 

Just now, Piyald said:

Thanks for the replies guys. However, wouldn't the drivers of my old rig overlap with the new ones? 

drivers are limited to the windows installation so if you replace the copy of windows or reinstall it they will be removed, also being a person who is messing with mine, if they aren't applicable they simply wont work

1 minute ago, mrmonmon2 said:

drivers are limited to the windows installation so if you replace the copy of windows or reinstall it they will be removed, also being a person who is messing with mine, if they aren't applicable they simply wont work

Should I reinstall the windows in my old rig then unplug it and put it in the new pc? Tyvm nibba

IMG_1759.JPG

5 minutes ago, Piyald said:

Not if you delete all the partitions in the Windows installer and do a totally fresh install.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, Piyald said:

Should I reinstall the windows in my old rig then unplug it and put it in the new pc? Tyvm nibba

IMG_1759.JPG

awee cute cat, and when you put it in the new pc, then along with windows updates it installs the right drivers and you dont get the ones not required for the new rig

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Not if you delete all the partitions in the Windows installer and do a totally fresh install.

Sorry this is kind of confusing for me. So where exactly do I delete all the partitions?

1 minute ago, Piyald said:

Sorry this is kind of confusing for me. So where exactly do I delete all the partitions?

1 .take drive out

2 .put in new pc

3 .make sure to boot off the windows install disc

4 .click install new copy of windows(the one that doesnt say it will leave all your old files on the disk)

5.??????

6. Profit

4 minutes ago, mrmonmon2 said:

1 .take drive out

2 .put in new pc

3 .make sure to boot off the windows install disc

4 .click install new copy of windows(the one that doesnt say it will leave all your old files on the disk)

5.??????

6. Profit

Instructions not clear, cat stuck in harddrive :( haha but really i dont want to fresh install i dont have a install disk, in this case if i plug it in without reinstalling windows would it work?

4 minutes ago, Piyald said:

I'm assuming this video should answer those questions (I haven't watched it though so I have no idea what it talks about). 

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Piyald said:

Instructions not clear, cat stuck in harddrive :( haha but really i dont want to fresh install 

in that case try to just plug it in and move it to the new system, it may work, and if it deos you can simply uninstall the old drivers you dont need and update or install the old ones/new one you can use

if it's partitioned, you can deal with that later under disk management in windows itself

Just now, mrmonmon2 said:

in that case try to just plug it in and move it to the new system, it may work, and if it deos you can simply uninstall the old drivers you dont need and update or install the old ones/new one you can use

what if it doesnt work

1 minute ago, Piyald said:

what if it doesnt work

start another thread, it should work

i think