Disable Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Game Mode

Since last major Windows 10 update from 2 days ago (AKA Fall Creators Update) there's no more option to disable Game mode. Also for some reason I'm unable to open Game mode menu (Win + G) and do it that way. 

Does anyone know anything about how to disable it as I tried to test what's the performance difference between on and off, or is it still broken and causing issues like on last update

image.png.7e12a5c4d0f2119a61457593856ee662.png

Must be something on your end I am on the most recent update and Win+G still leads me to the Game mode bar.

Just now, CopperniX said:

Must be something on your end I am on the most recent update and Win+G still leads me to the Game mode bar.

This.

I can do WIN+G and it shows me to the Game bar where i can toggle the game mode function.

i7-9980x 4.20mhz - 19.8 terraflops of ram - 512mb GENERIC VIDEO_CARD - 20w PSU with hyperthreading. 

You need to enable:

"Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game Bar" option under Settings > Gaming > Game bar.

Now the Game Bar will work, and now you can enable Game Mode to the game.

• 1 month later...

First, appologies for bumping this thread. I feel like this could help some people struggling with game mode in the Fall Creator Update.

If loading a game with gamemode active causes issues like microstutter, regardless of the gamebar toggle, you could also adjust the registry entry for gamemode.

Alternatively, if you do benefit from GameMode and want to make sure it's enabled permanently, you can also do that following these instructions.

Note: This requires system administrator status, and from what I can tell, it needs to be done for every user account on the system that is used for gaming.

Warning: Changing your registry can potentially destabilize your operating system. Please don't change anything besides what's in these instructions!

Do not proceed if you do not feel comfortable modifying your registry.

Step 1. Open the Windows registry editor (Press the windows key and type "regedit", open it, click yes on the dialog)

Step 2. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\GameBar

Step 3. Locate the key called “AllowAutoGameMode”

Note: If there’s no entry titled "AllowAutoGameMode" yet, create one by following Step 4. If you already have it, skip to Step 5.

Step 4. (Optional) Right-click inside the right panel, select New>DWORD (32-bit) Value and rename the new value “AllowAutoGameMode”.

Step 5. To enable or disable Game Mode, doubleclick the entry. In the dialog window that appears, set the value to either. 1 (enabled) or 0 (disabled). Click OK, and close the register editor.

Personally to me, GameMode has been nothing but trouble. I mainly play Skyrim (non-special edition) with a lightweight ENB profile on my system. It starts with microstuttering, mainly noticable in the audio. Oftentimes it becomes worse, and restarting my pc is the only remedy when it happened. If I'd keep playing, the system would lock up or BSOD. My PC isn't thermal throttling either, in case some wonder. When I turned off game mode in the Creator's Update, it pretty much solved all the issues I was having.

• 1 month later...

Not sure why there's no documentation of this anywhere, but in order to activate Game Mode, your game needs to be on Windowed Mode or Borderless Windowed Mode. Which kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion. Because it's better to play any game on Fullscreen Mode anyway. Because in Fullscreen Mode, your resources are exclusive to the game that you're playing.

1 minute ago, AngeleJR said:

Not sure why there's no documentation of this anywhere, but in order to activate Game Mode, your game needs to be on Windowed Mode or Borderless Windowed Mode. Which kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion. Because it's better to play any game on Fullscreen Mode anyway. Because in Fullscreen Mode, your resources are exclusive to the game that you're playing.

If the game is compatible it can be turned on full screen.