PC keeps freezing and stays frozen.

Svartedaud3n

Hi. I have an issue where when i try to play a game via steam it freezes my computer so i have to hard reset it.

FYI i didnt have this issue yesterday.

I've tried all the "basic" methods. Validating steam files, clearing download cache on steam, changing vram, checking windows logs(they just tell me that the computer turned off), scanning for malware(Malwarebytes-Premium)

Specs:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Svartedauden/saved/J6L2RB

Windows 10

I have the original bios that it came with from "Komplett.no".

I have Chrome(Netflix), steam, discord and the game running when it crashes.

Does it hard lock on anything else other than steam? Hard locking generally indicates a hardware failure. Dying video card perhaps...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I dont know what "hard lock" is. It just freezes and show me a grey colour on both my screens.

My system is about 4.5 years old

I just realized what it was-_-.... Dumb me:P
And to answer your question no it dosent

So everything is ok, so long as you are not in steam. Do you play any resource intensive games outside of steam, and if so, does the system lock under those, or is it only under steam.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

20 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

So everything is ok, so long as you are not in steam. Do you play any resource intensive games outside of steam, and if so, does the system lock under those, or is it only under steam.

Only under steam. Ive tested CSGO, Zombie Army trilogy, PUBG and they all hard lock.

I'd look into your video card going back.
Tell you what, find a demo of some game, not under steam, download and run it, see what happens.
Or, alternative : find a computer stress test program, there are a few listed on this forum, and run them.
If they hard lock, you have defective hardware. If they dont, then a really corrupted steam install

That was supposed to be going bad...not back. Was typing on my phone, sorry.

Well when i turned on my computer after work today it hard locked and now it wont turn on. It turns on but it wont boot. Help?

I also ran a stress test software and it didnt hard lock it

Additional info: When i try to update the Graphics card driver it crashes on me

58 minutes ago, Svartedaud3n said:

Additional info: When i try to update the Graphics card driver it crashes on me

If your CPU has onboard graphics like if it's an intel,

try taking out the video card and booting up without it.

See if you still have issues to check if the card is dying.

(If you're like me and can't push down the latch with your hands, use an unsharpened pencil to push it down rather than a screwdriver so you don't accidentally damage the motherboard.)

It could be lots of things though so don't panic. It could be a software issue as well. If it doesn't turn out to be a hardware issue, I'd just format the drive and reinstall windows to see if that fixes it.

Make sure you backup your save games first.

Most of them are in C:\users\<yourname>\appdata (appdata is a hidden folder so type it in the address bar manually). Then 99% of your saves are in the folders local, locallow, and sometimes rarely the roaming folder.

27 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

If your CPU has onboard graphics like if it's an intel,

try taking out the video card and booting up without it.

See if you still have issues to check if the card is dying.

(If you're like me and can't push down the latch with your hands, use an unsharpened pencil to push it down rather than a screwdriver so you don't accidentally damage the motherboard.)

It could be lots of things though so don't panic. It could be a software issue as well. If it doesn't turn out to be a hardware issue, I'd just format the drive and reinstall windows to see if that fixes it.

Make sure you backup your save games first.

Most of them are in C:\users\<yourname>\appdata (appdata is a hidden folder so type it in the address bar manually). Then 99% of your saves are in the folders local, locallow, and sometimes rarely the roaming folder.

Sadly it dosent have any kinds of display ports, that means vga, dvi, hdmi. 
I cant boot up with it because it just puts me in a loop. I even tried to format my ALL of my drives to see if that helped but im just stuck in a loop. I contacted the company where i got my gpu and they say its most likely a gpu fault. I only have issues with the card in the computer but when i remove it i dont know what will happen since i dont have a port to plug my monitor cable in....:/

I might just try to send it back and just wait the 2 weeks for answer.....Its so bloody annoying:P

4 minutes ago, Svartedaud3n said:

Sadly it dosent have any kinds of display ports, that means vga, dvi, hdmi. 
I cant boot up with it because it just puts me in a loop. I even tried to format my ALL of my drives to see if that helped but im just stuck in a loop. I contacted the company where i got my gpu and they say its most likely a gpu fault. I only have issues with the card in the computer but when i remove it i dont know what will happen since i dont have a port to plug my monitor cable in....:/

I might just try to send it back and just wait the 2 weeks for answer.....Its so bloody annoying:P

Really? There's no HDMI or anything on the motherboard IO?

Strange.

Well, if it helps I've been seeing gtx 970's going for 200 bucks on ebay.

That's not a bad deal.

They can even handle VR.

Or if you want a better video card,

massdrop has a few going right now that you can save 100 bucks on.

I'd really rather see you confirm that it's really the problem though before spending any money.. oh and make sure the card isn't still under warranty.

I still say the video card is going bad...

On 20.10.2017 at 8:40 PM, stateofpsychosis said:

Really? There's no HDMI or anything on the motherboard IO?

Strange.

Well, if it helps I've been seeing gtx 970's going for 200 bucks on ebay.

That's not a bad deal.

They can even handle VR.

Or if you want a better video card,

massdrop has a few going right now that you can save 100 bucks on.

Its a Asus - P9X79 LE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard and it still has the old connections for mice and keyboard(the round connections), and usb. I think the card is going bad because it has all the different sign ive found on the internet. Glitching and freezing etc

If i go for a 1060 6GB gigabyte windforce, and i have a "P9X79 ATC LGA2011 and i7-3820 will they bottleneck eachother? 

On 10/22/2017 at 4:45 AM, Svartedaud3n said:

If i go for a 1060 6GB gigabyte windforce, and i have a "P9X79 ATC LGA2011 and i7-3820 will they bottleneck eachother? 

I doubt it.

I had a i5 4690k with a gtx 1080 oc edition 

and it didn't bottleneck that at all.

Yours is 3.8 and that was 4.0ghz so not a big difference.

4 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I doubt it.

I had a i5 4690k with a gtx 1080 oc edition 

and it didn't bottleneck that at all.

Yours is 3.8 and that was 4.0ghz so not a big difference.

Ah nice. Thank you!!:)