Phone or Tablet

Rohelinetee

Hello. So basically i am choosing a phone or a tablet for university for notetaking. I see people using tablets to take notes in my classes and it seems like a super convenient way to take notes. I want to replace my textbook, so i would have all my subject in 1 place. Also, I have a lot of math subjects. The problem is that i'm between Note 8 or tab S3. First i was looking at tablets but then i started thinking maybe Note 8 is as good as a tablet. Note has excellent screen but the screen is a lot smaller than a tablets(i mean tablets with screens 9.7"). Although, Note 8 would be more portable. Another thing is that tab S3 would be one expensive textbook but Note 8 doubles as phone(costs 1000 euros in my country though).Tab S3 has better battery than Note 8. Main concern is that Note 8 screen wouldn't be large enough. Or is there a better alternative with the same smooth writing experience? Btw, i already have a laptop so tablets+keyboard has no use for me.

Tablet: more room for writing

7 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

Tablet: more room for writing

Indeed, but as i saw people in my class using tablets and they weren't using it like a paper. They wrote equations quite largely and the whole point of having a larger screen had no point. I could write on Note 8 but i just would have less overview over the whole equation for example.

Why not 2 in 1 laptops? Like Lenovo Yoga

Edit: Damn u have a laptop, I would say phone

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

Why not 2 in 1 laptops? Like Lenovo Yoga

Edit: Damn u have a laptop, I would say phone

Yeah, went to a tech shop and the person there also suggested note 8 because tablet is more like a replacement for laptop. 

Note 8 with a dex for when you get back home? You'll have a desktop like experience as well as the ultra portable note taking device

2 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

Note 8 with a dex for when you get back home? You'll have a desktop like experience as well as the ultra portable note taking device

I see no point in using dex. I have a laptop and full pc with 4k tv and monitor hooked up to it at home. Working at home isn't a problem. The problem is that i would like to eliminate using my textbooks to write. It is annoying and inconvenient to carry them around. With tablet or note 8 it would be a lot easier and also i don't need to work behind a desk all the time. I'm doing my bachelor degree in matemathics and i constantly need to be working on equations, proofs, etc. Also the fact that Note 8 is  a phone is excellent because my samsung s5 could use an upgrade. 

Tablet. 

Id go Apple over Samsung though.  On phones its a matter of personal preferences, but with tablets Apple kills Samsung, the difference in quality and performance is huge.

Better display, faster processor, better ecosystem, better os, better apps, better resale value. Apple kills it on tablets IF a tablet is your thing. 

You can find a 10.5 inch ipad pro for roughly the same proce as a galaxy tab S3, and its better in every way by a large margin, except maybe customization. 

The Note 8 has a narrow but tall screen with curved edges that youd find really cramped. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

48 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

Tablet. 

Id go Apple over Samsung though.  On phones its a matter of personal preferences, but with tablets Apple kills Samsung, the difference in quality and performance is huge.

Better display, faster processor, better ecosystem, better os, better apps, better resale value. Apple kills it on tablets IF a tablet is your thing. 

You can find a 10.5 inch ipad pro for roughly the same proce as a galaxy tab S3, and its better in every way by a large margin, except maybe customization. 

The Note 8 has a narrow but tall screen with curved edges that youd find really cramped. 

That's a great answer. You mentioned that I would find everything really cramped and that is true. The problem with Apple is that they sell everything seperately and I'd have to buy a apple pencil which costs extra hundred bucks. Or is there a better alternative? 

Ipad pro 9.7 or 10.5, which would be better if I decide to go with Apple? (Never bought an Apple device in my life)  

Edit: Did you mean this https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-pro/10.5-inch-display-64gb-space-gray-wifi

29 minutes ago, Rohelinetee said:

That's a great answer. You mentioned that I would find everything really cramped and that is true. The problem with Apple is that they sell everything seperately and I'd have to buy a apple pencil which costs extra hundred bucks. Or is there a better alternative? 

Ipad pro 9.7 or 10.5, which would be better if I decide to go with Apple? (Never bought an Apple device in my life)  

The 10.5 ipad pro is definitely better. It has a faster processor, twice the ram, and a brighter 120 hz display(the 9.7 pro is 60 hz) that is larger while being only slightly bigger. The base model has more storage as well, 64 vs 32 gb. Although all models offer more storage for a price hike. 

The 10.5 is sort of overkill for a tablet though, so if you can find a 9.7 online for a lot cheaper that might be better. Just remember the 9.7 iPad PRO is different and better than the regular 9.7 iPad.  

The note 8 is still substantially more expensive than a 10.5 inch iPad pro. Ive seen the 10.5 go for as little as 550 at bestbuy, while the note 8 is typically 950 i think. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Ill also add the accessories for the ipad pro arent cheap. I think the apple pencil is like 99 and a keyboard is 99 to 150. So you do have to factor that into the price if u want those. 

5 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

The 10.5 ipad pro is definitely better. It has a faster processor, twice the ram, and a brighter 120 hz display(the 9.7 pro is 60 hz) that is larger while being only slightly bigger. The base model has more storage as well, 64 vs 32 gb. Although all models offer more storage for a price hike. 

The 10.5 is sort of overkill for a tablet though, so if you can find a 9.7 online for a lot cheaper that might be better. Just remember the 9.7 iPad PRO is different and better than the regular 9.7 iPad.  

The note 8 is still substantially more expensive than a 10.5 inch iPad pro. Ive seen the 10.5 go for as little as 550 at bestbuy, while the note 8 is typically 950 i think. 

Totally agree.

1 minute ago, maizenblue said:

Ill also add the accessories for the ipad pro arent cheap. I think the apple pencil is like 99 and a keyboard is 99 to 150. So you do have to factor that into the price if u want those. 

Yes, I actually asked about this. Any better alternatives than Apple pencil or is it a must?

9 hours ago, Rohelinetee said:

Totally agree.

Yes, I actually asked about this. Any better alternatives than Apple pencil or is it a must?

Dont quote me on this, but i think there are aftermarket stylists that will work, just not as well and without some of the capabilities of the apple pencil. For all i know any stylus or even your finger will work for just writing.

Others might be able to say better than me. I dont own an ipad pro, ive just monkeyed around with a friends one.