AMD new or used XEON for Server

Go to solution Solved by heimdali,

I´d go with Xeon and buy a used server:

Pre-compiled software is often times optimized for Intel CPUs, and I would advise against using Gentoo for a server because it can turn into a nightmare to maintain.

A pre-built server is as hassle free as you can get, they are certified for a number of operating systems, and you can be quite sure that the components all work together and nothing suddenly gives you weird problems that are difficult to deal with.  It goes as far as like having the right firmware version on the disks you´re using.

That´s something very easily underestimated.  So it´s likely the best option when you´re looking for reliability, performance and efficiency, including power efficiency.  I wouldn´t recommend buying anything older than Gen7 (or whatever compares to that from other manufacturers).  They don´t cost 20 or 30k, either.

Everything else depends on the exact usage you have in mind.  Web hosting and file hosting are rather wide applications, and they may better be seperated out to different machines because file hosting might require tons of disk space while web hosting might require a fast CPU --- plus a database server, which in turn may require fast storage (or even tons of fast storage, which is the point where things start getting expensive) --- and/or lots of RAM besides a fast CPU.  Depending on what kind of reliability you need, you may be looking at some sort of cluster ...

12 minutes ago, Sailakki said:

X5xxx processors at home across 3 servers

which purpose are u using those for?

With my job i deal primarily with Windows Servers and Hypervisor platforms (VMware & Hyper-V) so I use them for test lab environment as well as VM's for development, testing, etc...and general stuff for home like Plex, ruTorrent, etc...

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

5 hours ago, Alexsolo said:

Servers run ECC resgistered memory, which runs slower, also might not play too well with a windows/normal user environment.

Not really much slower, it's just that servers only support proper JDEC memory settings where gaming systems use XMP which is overclocking the ram which is something you don't want on a sever. Servers also have 3-8 memory channels which gives far more bandwidth than faster clocked dual channel memory does.