Anti virus(free) for windows 10

hi, I'm currently looking for a new anti virus software(free) for my clean install of windows 10 fall creators update. 

based on my research using google seems like avast is a good option. 

wondering if anyone would recommend it.  

currently planning to use both avast free and malawarebytes anti ransomware beta side by side( the built it windows controlled folder access blocks all program which is not what i want)

I recommend Avast, as long as you don't get annoyed with pop-ups(although I guess that's common for free antivirus so yeah). It's pretty lightweight and doesn't use up a lot of your system resources which is nice.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I recommend Avast, as long as you don't get annoyed with pop-ups(although I guess that's common for free antivirus so yeah). It's pretty lightweight and doesn't use up a lot of your system resources which is nice.

In my previous install, I used 360 total security and it does give ads and pop up every time i boot up my PC

Just now, Yongtjunkit said:

In my previous install, I used 360 total security and it does give ads and pop up every time i boot up my PC

Yeah, like I said: common for free antivirus. AVG is like that too.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

If you are on windows, you can actually use CLAMAV, the Linux AV software. It's free and does the job well for active scanning. The program is called "Immunet". As for Deep Scans, I would recommend the Free version of Malware Bytes (mbam as the industry calls it). I'd do a Deep Scan once a month or so just to be safe (please also make sure to add Immunet to the exclusions list in mbam (and vice versa for mbam to Immunet) so they don't kill each other).

Did I mention neither has popups?

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

AVG was bought by Avast.

The free version of Avast *can* be made lightweight, but you have to be careful of the defaults you install (basically, file shield, web shield) and run good adblockers on your browser, which will kill off 99% of the problems out there to begin with.

AV is not your first line of defense, it's your last. These days, ad blocking is the 1st. A solid hardware firewall at the router, run as limited user (if possible, not all programs play nice with this concept)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

54 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

AVG was bought by Avast.

The free version of Avast *can* be made lightweight, but you have to be careful of the defaults you install (basically, file shield, web shield) and run good adblockers on your browser, which will kill off 99% of the problems out there to begin with.

AV is not your first line of defense, it's your last. These days, ad blocking is the 1st. A solid hardware firewall at the router, run as limited user (if possible, not all programs play nice with this concept)

i've installed adblock onto microsoft edge and google chrome both browser which i use. I'm also using an asus rtac68u as my house wifi router, it has built in aiprotection powered by trend micro(has malicious site blocking) but still the virus was able to go through all of them.

You'll need more than adblock. Get ublock origin, https everywhere, disconnect and ghostery.
Have you tried running as a limited user?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 10/20/2017 at 12:06 AM, Radium_Angel said:

You'll need more than adblock. Get ublock origin, https everywhere, disconnect and ghostery.
Have you tried running as a limited user?

currently logged in as admin(only user account)

-update-

installed all suggested extension on google chrome. when browsing the ltt forum, 1 extension seems to be conflicting with another extension that does the same thing ublock origin and disconnect  

hopefully they would go easy on the CPU since im using an intel core i5 3337u(dual core)  but I do have 12 gb of ram which is not a problem for my laptop but it maybe for my father's desktop since his pc is a prebuilt dell inspiron 580 with intel core i5 760 and 4gb of ram... both copy of google chrome are sync with the same google account   

Yeah a few conflict (happens to me as well) but all the error says basically is two blockers want to block the ad element first, it doesn't hurt anything at all