Electrical buzz from GPU. Not coil whine!

Go to solution Solved by Valkyrie Lenneth,
3 minutes ago, Nemoh88 said:

Haha nah I did consider the hdd but when listening with the straw technique you can hear it is coming from around the power cables of the gpu/southbridge area. And it is louder in person! Hence another reason I don't think it is "normal" coil whine as this happens at less than 60fps etc. Yeah, if it is the mobo then I will get a new one and sell this one on as I'm so bored of trying to rma stuff atm that I'd rather lose a bit of money :'). So you don't think it could be cpu or settings related (I think it is the mobo but don't want to pull it and swap if thete could be another issue).

if the cpu would make that amount of coilwhine that thing is going in smoke i swear xD 

the only thing i can relate this sound to is

a fans bearings shaking, a old hdd, extreme gpu/chip coilwhine :) ( coilwhines can even get louder then that but its quite severe so u can RMA for this reason )

however it doesnt hurt to still try a different pci-e slot because the southbridge is connected with the pci-e slots :) maybe a whining pci-e still :) and another slot might not whine

Hi guys. So basically on my newly built pc I have a buzzing noise from my gpu. It only happens under certain loads and happens at anything above 50fps. I have already replaced the psu three times and the gpu twice and I get the exact same noise still. I'm not curious if you guys think this could be a motherboard or cpu setting problem? I'm adiment that isn't coil my video as both the gigabyte g1 1080 and asus rog strix 1070 make the exact sound under exact conditions. I also swapped my psu for a different make an although the sound was slightly quieter it still had the sound. My setup is:

Ryzen 7 1700

Msi b350 Tomahawk Arctic

Asus rog strix 1070

Ballistic ram 16gb 2400

Evga g2 650w gold+

Now I know people have issues with power saving options etc especially on Intel so could there be a hidden setting on Ryzen that could be causing the issue? I've tried some of the settings and power settings but not sure if i have all of them. Ive also got the most up to date bios.

Or maybe I should now just try replacing the mobo? I've heard the msi b350s can be crap.

Thanks guys. 

everything u say just sounds like coilwhine to me btw

but maybe its coming because of the PCI-E slot instead rather then the gpu

check a different pci-e slot :P

(◑‿◐)

5 minutes ago, Nemoh88 said:

Hi guys. So basically on my newly built pc I have a buzzing noise from my gpu. It only happens under certain loads and happens at anything above 50fps. I have already replaced the psu three times and the gpu twice and I get the exact same noise still. I'm not curious if you guys think this could be a motherboard or cpu setting problem? I'm adiment that isn't coil my video as both the gigabyte g1 1080 and asus rog strix 1070 make the exact sound under exact conditions. I also swapped my psu for a different make an although the sound was slightly quieter it still had the sound. My setup is:

Ryzen 7 1700

Msi b350 Tomahawk Arctic

Asus rog strix 1070

Ballistic ram 16gb 2400

Evga g2 650w gold+

Now I know people have issues with power saving options etc especially on Intel so could there be a hidden setting on Ryzen that could be causing the issue? I've tried some of the settings and power settings but not sure if i have all of them. Ive also got the most up to date bios.

Or maybe I should now just try replacing the mobo? I've heard the msi b350s can be crap.

Thanks guys. 

Maybe it's a fan vibration problem? but it certainly sounds like coil whine

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

everything u say just sounds like coilwhine to me btw

but maybe its coming because of the PCI-E slot instead rather then the gpu

check a different pci-e slot :P

I know it does sound like cw but I'm almost certain it isn't. From the cards I mean anyway. I never thought about it coming from the slot. Is that common? Would explain how the sound is identical.

I know it does sound like cw but I'm almost certain it isn't. From the cards I mean anyway. I never thought about it coming from the slot. Is that common? Would explain how the sound is identical.

coilwhine can come from any device that has electricity going through it, it could be the pci/e slot the mobo southbridge or anything u can think off

make sure to locate exactly where it comes from :) if it is the exact same whine on 2 differnt gpus i am saying it comes from the mobo/pci-e slot instead  since u already swapped ur psu

i am personally guessing its ur pci-e slot not making enough / proper contact with the cards inserted so it causes coilwhine? idk :) just guessing that, i would first try a different pci-e slot and if it remains i would start locating it on the mobo :v

(◑‿◐)

5 minutes ago, Input_Name_Here said:

Maybe it's a fan vibration problem? but it certainly sounds like coil whine

I've tested the fans sadly. And I've tried two different cards and the sound is like identical. Exactly the same. Even happens under the exact same conditions. And I mean, should a 1070/80 really whine above all my case fans at 50fps? It is a bizzare one.

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

coilwhine can come from any device that has electricity going through it, it could be the pci/e slot the mobo southbridge or anything u can think off

make sure to locate exactly where it comes from :) if it is the exact same whine on 2 differnt gpus i am saying it comes from the mobo/pci-e slot instead  since u already swapped ur psu

Yeah it does seem to come from the southbridge to be honest. I always dismissed that though as I thought it would be odd to have an electrical type noise coming from there but then I am a first time builder so...im a clueless noob pretty much lol.

2 minutes ago, Nemoh88 said:

Yeah it does seem to come from the southbridge to be honest. I always dismissed that Ok as I thought it would be odd to have an electrical type noise coming from there but then I am a first time builder so...im a clueless noob pretty much lol.

try running on iGPU and see if the coilwhine removes

:v if it coems from the southbridge u might be fucked tbh ( unless its severe i doubt they will rma for coilwhine )

(◑‿◐)

9 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

try running on iGPU and see if the coilwhine removes

:v if it coems from the southbridge u might be fucked tbh ( unless its severe i doubt they will rma for coilwhine )

Not sure my reply just sent? Sorry if this a repeat. My phone is playing up. Anyway, Ryzen build so no iGPU I'm afraid. I have a video of my noise. Because of the fans and crappy phone mic it doesn't do justice of how bad it is though. Here it is.

i can hear it slightly and it sounds like a good ass of coilwhine :S

or an old HDD that is spinning :D hehe

do u have one of these old hdds? the phat ones because it could be that aswell xD

if that amount of noise comes from the mobo u might get RMA for the coilwhine tbh :) if it is the board

(◑‿◐)

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

i can hear it slightly and it sounds like a good ass of coilwhine :S

or an old HDD that is spinning :D hehe

do u have one of these old hdds? the phat ones because it could be that aswell xD

if that amount of noise comes from the mobo u might get RMA for the coilwhine tbh :) if it is the board

Haha nah I did consider the hdd but when listening with the straw technique you can hear it is coming from around the power cables of the gpu/southbridge area. And it is louder in person! Hence another reason I don't think it is "normal" coil whine as this happens at less than 60fps etc. Yeah, if it is the mobo then I will get a new one and sell this one on as I'm so bored of trying to rma stuff atm that I'd rather lose a bit of money :'). So you don't think it could be cpu or settings related? (I think it is the mobo but don't want to pull it and swap if there could be another simpler reason for the noise). It almost sounds like a power/voltage but everything seems ok other than some fluctuations.

Haha nah I did consider the hdd but when listening with the straw technique you can hear it is coming from around the power cables of the gpu/southbridge area. And it is louder in person! Hence another reason I don't think it is "normal" coil whine as this happens at less than 60fps etc. Yeah, if it is the mobo then I will get a new one and sell this one on as I'm so bored of trying to rma stuff atm that I'd rather lose a bit of money :'). So you don't think it could be cpu or settings related (I think it is the mobo but don't want to pull it and swap if thete could be another issue).

if the cpu would make that amount of coilwhine that thing is going in smoke i swear xD 

the only thing i can relate this sound to is

a fans bearings shaking, a old hdd, extreme gpu/chip coilwhine :) ( coilwhines can even get louder then that but its quite severe so u can RMA for this reason )

however it doesnt hurt to still try a different pci-e slot because the southbridge is connected with the pci-e slots :) maybe a whining pci-e still :) and another slot might not whine

(◑‿◐)

if u bought the system within 14days or somthing u can use 14day return policy? :) should be an immediate replacement ( many stores give immediate replacements in my country for rma,s if returned within 3 months +- btw :) )

(◑‿◐)

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

if u bought the system within 14days or somthing u can use 14day return policy? :) should be an immediate replacement ( many stores give immediate replacements in my country for rma,s if returned within 3 months +- btw :) )

I built it over time as bought parts and the mobo was one of the first things I bought. It will be under warranty but...I just hate msi rma procedure lolol

I built it over time as bought parts and the mobo was one of the first things I bought. It will be under warranty but...I just hate msi rma procedure lolol

tbh nothing against msi personally but i dont recommend any1 getting it

simply because my friend had msi boards he didnt even overclcok and the boards randomly died, he had 5 boards dieing on him within 2years time ( and he doesnt do stupid stuff ect )   even on stock!! and when he did oc on a board ( including my own msi board ) those things got HOT AF

i personally recommend gigabyte and asus the most hehe id rather avoid msi after all the hassles me and my mate got

personally also had like 3msi boards, i had problems with the pci-e lanes not giving me sli for some reason xD 4th board worked but yeah fk msi ( for me personally n my mate xD )

(◑‿◐)

7 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

tbh nothing against msi personally but i dont recommend any1 getting it

simply because my friend had msi boards he didnt even overclcok and the boards randomly died, he had 5 boards dieing on him within 2years time ( and he doesnt do stupid stuff ect )   even on stock!! and when he did oc on a board ( including my own msi board ) those things got HOT AF

i personally recommend gigabyte and asus the most hehe id rather avoid msi after all the hassles me and my mate got

personally also had like 3msi boards, i had problems with the pci-e lanes not giving me sli for some reason xD 4th board worked but yeah fk msi ( for me personally n my mate xD )

Yeah when I first researched them I didn't see bad reviews for some reason then as soon as I had issues and googled my board I had lots of people saying they are rubbish lol. It is a cheap end board as well. Got another question for you (sorry), my board has one metal enforced pci-e 3.0 slot and one plastic pci-e 2.0 slot. Would it be ok to try it in the second 2.0 slot? This card is heavy so am worried it might cause sag.

Yeah when I first researched them I didn't see bad reviews for some reason then as soon as I had issues and googled my board I had lots of people saying they are rubbish lol. It is a cheap end board as well. Got another question for you (sorry), my board has one metal enforced pci-e 3.0 slot and one plastic pci-e 2.0 slot. Would it be ok to try it in the second 2.0 slot? This card is heavy so am worried it might cause sag.

um u dont need to worry about sagging ect, u can just screw it straight in the case

also just a refer to taht, i somtimes put the mobos straight on the table and let the cards just hang... it doesnt really harm :) not recommended to hang a brick on top of the gpu tho xD

pci 2.0 will underperform but atleast u can check the coilwhine thingy :0

(◑‿◐)

11 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

um u dont need to worry about sagging ect, u can just screw it straight in the case

also just a refer to taht, i somtimes put the mobos straight on the table and let the cards just hang... it doesnt really harm :) not recommended to hang a brick on top of the gpu tho xD

pci 2.0 will underperform but atleast u can check the coilwhine thingy :0

Ah ok thanks! Will try that tomorrow when I have the time to look :) thanks again!

So just to let you know, for some reason I had major issues trying the 2nd Pcie slot. Basically every game crashed although desktop was fine. Then soon as plugged in back in it was ok again (by that I mean no crashes but stupid sound was still there). Going to buy a new mobo. Anyone suggest any good AM4 mobos that are good for 8 core Ryzen 7s?

I swapped motherboards. And it is still there :(

• 4 months later...
On 10/24/2017 at 3:29 PM, Nemoh88 said:

I swapped motherboards. And it is still there :(

Any updates?